Black & McDonald Reviews

Found 216 of over 304 reviews

4.0
Black & McDonald Co-CEO Ian McDonald
Ian McDonald
Pros
  • "Friendly work environment and treat employees well(in 15 reviews)

• "Some very good people who care about the company(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "the only cons that I can see on my experience was my long hours of daily driving to get to the work(in 6 reviews)

• "No work life balance, no room for growth, low pay(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Black & McDonald and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Employee review

Sep 19, 2022 - Rail Operations Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Treat employees with dignity and respect.

Cons

No cons at this company

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Low pay, room for growth low if you are a woman on site.

Sep 22, 2022 - Administrative Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had a great manager and loved the field staff. Manager was always willing to teach me as much as possible which ultimately proved valuable in my career growth after leaving B&M.

Cons

Sexism rampant Racism rampant Although my manager was always pushing for me to be promoted, it was never considered after 4 years of work. Promotion was only offered once I was leaving. Reason being that those in charge of promotions have no connection to the person on a day to day. Also, being a quiet female in a loud construction site, I was never taken seriously although I was more than capable at my job and a valuable asset to the whole team.

Continue reading

Corporate Human Resources Administrator

Thank you for your review. Black & McDonald recognizes the value of diversity and is committed to fostering an inclusive work environment that respects people’s dignity, ideas, and beliefs and that welcomes and encourages equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees. We are sorry that was your experience and will look for new ways to reinforce our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

3. 4.0

Excellent Experiencce

Sep 1, 2022 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good learning environment Family run business

Cons

Increase support staff for sucessful execution of work

Continue reading

Corporate Human Resources Administrator

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review! Thank you for your dedication and work during your time with Black & McDonald and the goodwill you’ve shown us through sharing your experience.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great company to work for!

Aug 9, 2022 - Electrical Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good work environment.

Cons

May require lots of overtime

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

OK

Jul 17, 2022 - Machine Operator in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty chill job but would not see myself long term here

Cons

Wanted to leave but couldn't

Corporate Human Resources Administrator

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review. Thank you for your dedication and work as a member of the Black and McDonald team!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best place to work

Jul 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of learning opportunities, great company stability, the owners care a lot about the company and employees

Cons

There's never a dull moment

7. 5.0

Great Company

Jul 11, 2022 - Service Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Proactive, Professional, extremely structured and honest

Cons

be less corporate and go back to its family roots.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome

Jul 6, 2022 - Analyst in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good management Flexible Team atmosphere Opportunity to grow

Cons

Fight for raises Slightly overworked Takes a while to learn the business and system

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not bad - needs improvement

Jun 19, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits & secure position

Cons

Not as organized as other major companies

Corporate Human Resources Administrator

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review! Thank you for your dedication and work during your time with Black and McDonald and the goodwill you’ve shown us through sharing your experience.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

Jun 15, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity for advancement Multi trade company, something for everyone

Cons

Must work from the office

Viewing 1 - 10 of 216 Reviews

Black & McDonald Reviews FAQs

Black & McDonald has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 304 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Black & McDonald to a friend and 63% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Black & McDonald employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Black & McDonald. This rating has improved by 5% over the last 12 months.

81% of Black & McDonald employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Black & McDonald 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Black & McDonald Job Seekers