Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals Reviews

3.4

"Great company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Kelowna, BC

I worked at Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment the regional supervisor is the best boss I've had. Really easy to talk to, helpful when you need it and always working with a positive vibe. great schedule, great pricing for rentals and retails which makes it really easy to sale (commission)

Cons

Updating to computer systems would really help this company to get to the next level.

2. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth

Cons

Long hours, especially on weekends/holidays

3. "Boring job. Poor management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals part-time

Pros

Easy retail job - good for seasonal work ... maybe.

Cons

This company is terribly disorganized. There is no room for advancement, because they are not looking to develope good staff they just want to push product Welcome to the 1970s - communication is primary through fax and customer orders are processed on paper.

"Excellent Retail Job"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Langley, BC

I worked at Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co workers Excellent regional supervisor Flexible schedule - work weekend, but limited late evenings Competitive wages compared to other retail

Cons

Some aspects of the job need to be update. Eg. computer systems and less manual sales process.

"Don't Apply"

1.0

I worked at Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals

Pros

Helping people with their wedding by helping them pick suits for their party. Fun customers are the only nice thing about this job.

Cons

No respect/Trust, upper management is VERY diffficult to deal with. The main office does not support you well at store level. No Benefits Inconsistant direction. Insufficient procedures making your job to make customers happy sometimes impossible.

Continue reading

"Black and Lee Retail Sales Associate review"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people that I worked with at Black & Lee were all really great. My manager was not only fun, kind and a good leader, but made sure that all the staff was well trained before putting us on the floor. The upper management are helpful and encouraging, and it seemed like the whole organization wanted to make sure their employees were happy. The job itself was simple enough once you understood, and I got to meet a lot of really nice people that came in to purchase or rent suits. Commissions were a plus too!

Cons

The only real downsides of the job was that it got slow in the winter, working weekends is usually necessary. Other than that, the time I worked there was really good.

Continue reading

"Best Possible Situation for a Student"

4.0

I worked at Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals

Pros

The wage/work ratio is top notch. In all honesty we don't do a whole lot and have a ton of time to study. Only during wedding and grad season do things really pick up and when i say pick up I mean it's a little crazy. The regional manager is a pretty great guy and honestly cares about his employees, something most employers don't seem to do. He takes a lot of time to teach and train them and would rather work with the employee than see them leave. There's a reason most of his managers stay a few years.

Cons

All paper and fax communications. Things get lost this way or can be misread. The old man who owns the company is a beget, who only cares about the bottom line making the regional managers live hectic. It takes a long time if ever to get a raise. Sometimes it's lonely. In the off season it's normally just you in the store, maybe someone else if you live in a bigger town. For students this is awesome, but it can get a little trying being alone all the time.

"Great for students."

I worked at Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals

Pros

They give you titles fast here, if you want "manager" or "assistant manager" or "key holder" or whatever else you think looks good on a resume they'll certainly give it to you. There's a lot of free time in the off season which means you can study while at work. In which it's a perfect job for students. The regional manager is very pleasant and tries to work with staff. Many staff stay for a while, the job is not very demanding which is good. Hours are consistent and steady. Training is simple and to the book as long as the person training you fully explains everything. Over all it's not a bad place to work and I'd probably recommend it to other students.

Cons

ever wanted to live in the 80's? Well if so welcome to the world before computers. Everything is done either by fax or mail order which for the most parts works but is time consuming and entirely in effective. You customers will either be the best or worst people you've ever dealt with. Since most of the people are grads or grooms you deal with emotionally stressed people. So be willing to take your time and listen. If anything happens simply accept the blame and move one before your customers go crazy on you. Raises almost never happen. If you're the manager chances are you'll only be making a dollar or two more than the sales accociate but will have all the responsibility for things to run smoothly. They say it's "your store" but you have to conform exactly to what they want. So no changing displays based on customer feedback. The owner is very ridged in the way things should be. Employees are replaceable so if you want a raise be ready to start looking for work somewhere else. Also no benefits to speaks of. Short staffed. Because the owner doesn't like paying for staff they never have enough to cover stifts. Managers also have little to no say in the scheduling and will not be payed over time. Be prepared to have no time off during Grad season and wedding season. Also your days off will be split and asking for vacations is a big no no. The scheduling and pay is really the only downside here. If they would give raises a little more often and add a staff member to each store to cover shifts things would run better. But again it's a good place and the regional manager is a good person to work for in general.

"company review"

Current Employee - General Office Clerk

I have been working at Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

hours are flexible, close early on every Friday, which is good

Cons

not always get raise for those who work longer years except those employees they like, will automatically get raise every 2 years.

10. "Sales Associate"

4.0

I worked at Black and Lee Tuxedo & Suit Rentals full-time

Pros

The biggest pro to working at Black & Lee was reporting to the Director of Operations, JC Coates. I have worked at Black & Lee on and off for four years (being a student) and throughout my time with the company JC has made a consistent effort to accommodate all of his staff’s needs, whether it be time off requests, conflict resolution or job coaching. In addition to his constant support and encouragement, his extensive experience in sales and upper management make him an excellent leader to learn from. For me personally, JC tasked me with additional roles and responsibilities that would in turn prepare me to start my career of choice outside of Black & Lee. Most other companies I have worked for see their entry level employees as replaceable assets, but at Black & Lee JC took the time to develop each and every one of his employees in their own unique manner. I would recommend Black & Lee to anyone who is interested in learning retail/sales from an awesome industry leader like JC!

Cons

The job itself can feel isolating.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 10 reviews