Bishop's University Reviews

1. 5.0

Master of Computer Science

Nov 8, 2021 - Student Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a really good university and all the professors there are kind and friendly. The school has a beautiful gym.

Cons

Litte bit far from centre ville

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

good school

Nov 8, 2021 - Graduate Student
    Business Outlook

Pros

big school, good professors, good environment in library and class room

Cons

Some courses are more difficult

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place

Aug 18, 2021 - Front Desk Receptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

greatest place to work at, no problems. very happy I worked there

Cons

I can't think of any cons at the moment. overall a great place.

4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good environment to learn and extend yourself if you want that

Aug 11, 2021 - Graduate Student Researcher and Teaching Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Cool culture - Very helpful professors that will help you personally progress depending on their research experience

Cons

- Some fellow students not really liking their tasks - Not really that much cons

5. 5.0

Good Student jobs

May 19, 2021 - Library Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

They offer good annual pay increase

Cons

They do not have great communication

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Very well opportunity for student

Apr 14, 2021 - Research Assistant in Sherbrooke, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fairly good pay for part time job. Opportunities with hand-on projects.

Cons

Workloads may depend on your Professor.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great school

Mar 11, 2021 - Student in Sherbrooke, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a small university, which you can reach the professor very quickly.

Cons

Not so many cons, if I must say, it may be located in a small town.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee

good

Mar 16, 2021 - Student in Sherbrooke, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

good school for me it was great

Cons

the school was very small

9. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Warning about CLTA positions

Jul 31, 2020 - Assistant Professor in Sherbrooke, QC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice campus, BWH hall is nice, students

Cons

CLT professors have to reapply for the same job every single year, no other school does this. You have no real job security. Every year, the committee meets with two students to rank order the candidates who applied. The two students can humiliate you on this committee, berate and slander you. You have no choice in the matter, no control. In my recent experience, the two students were from 1/12 courses I taught, the most difficult required course in the program. You get vague details about all the crazy things said, but you should be happy, you got selected. Don’t dare try to complain or prove you were slandered, or your position will not exist in a year. You get your contract renewed for the third time, put a smile on your face, while 12 other applicants waste their time applying and requesting three letters of reference, because Human Resources requires a short list for every CLT job every single year. Every year students can slander and humiliate you to all of your colleagues and the dean; this garbage then ends up in your personal file. You are completely powerless. You have no rights to defend yourself. The students you have mentored and would have nice things to say and contribute will never get appointed to the hiring committee. The position is exploitive. You teach the most students and largest classes. The position is isolating. Your office is not allowed to be in the same location as full professors. Your office ends up in a mouldy old house with a fly infestation on the other end of campus. It is the one office that does not get cleaned, as you don’t have a name on the door (even after 3 years.) The walls will be pealing, cluster flies coming back to life in the dead of winter, you will hear mice in the walls - and this is where you hold office hour. You are completely powerless and easily replaceable. Once they ware you down, they discard you like trash. Other schools are not like this, they have unions who care about their members treatment and job security. The APBU is the worst union in Canada. The commission needs to take over. The union president is condescending and okay with all the abuse members receive just to be reappointed for another term. The students need to be in Sherbrooke in June is her excuse. When that did not work (I helped a student get into graduate school from Sherbrooke), next excuse was all the members on the committee need to know the students. If the faculty’s pets don’t like you, your performance evaluation will be a reputation smearing campaign behind your back. This would not be legal anywhere else. Students should at least have taken 50% of your 12 classes. The union does not care or see any issues. LTA faculty are invisible and nobodies, unless the faculty require their help. See Athabaska. Their union filed a grievance for the sessional faculty who never got permanent positions after years of employment there. The arbitrator awarded the sessional faculty. LTA appointments are extendable elsewhere and after five years, you become tenured. It is just heartbreaking to know I wasted three years of my life and career working in such miserable circumstances. I never saw the faculty once in the last year, as they never had any meetings, only the hiring committee one. LTA faculty at other schools get their contracts extended. There is no fake job add to see if someone better applies. People are not applying for fake jobs just to be short-listed to meet an H and R requirement to reappoint a sessional. Dysfunctional and corrupt Students cannot write thesis projects because it impacts ram scores (lower enrolments in other 4th year classes) No power backup generators. Power is out, classes are suspended Retirement pension plan is a mess. Too many people retired with high pensions. All workers have to pay double into their pension plan by force to fix the deficits in the pension plan. Quebec made it illegal, the university’s legal team found a way around it. I am sure if the APBU were a real union and took this to an arbitrator, we would win. But alas, the union is useless. Your union dues are additional wasted money with no return on investment. No parking lot space, during high traffic times. Do not waste money on a parking pass. Visitor lots have lots of free parking. You can use your credit card and print a stub at any machine Don’t wear high heals and be careful walking in the winter. They save on salt, don’t put salt on the actual parking spots, only the driving lanes. No academic freedom. If you try applying the principles of experiential learning to your courses, in my experience, two faculty from my department disparaged me to my students. An angry student wrote two faculty from my department said my course was not a course. Administration and union did nothing about the students note. The list of cons can keep going. I will never get a good job again and my career is over bc of my employment as an LTA at BU. If you stay there for three years, your academic career is over, they know it and will begin treating you like a proletariat and nobody. The job ruined my life and confidence. Seeing how LTAs become tenured professors after five years in Nova Scotia and never have to reapply year after year to compete for the same job again is heart breaking. Every school also covers more than $1000 for moving expenses. Avoid LTAs at this school.

Continue reading
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Tight-Knit Community

Jun 22, 2020 - Student Ambassador
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great group of driven employees who strive for the perfect experience for its students and there are always plenty of projects on-the-go.

Cons

None (unless you don't enjoy winter!)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews