Big Viking Games Employee Reviews about "catered lunch"

Updated May 15, 2020

Found 8 of over 64 reviews

2.3
Big Viking Games Founder and CEO Albert Lai
Albert Lai
Pros
  • "There's catered lunch every day, RRSP matching, plenty of vacation time and there are never any qualms about needing to take sick time(in 8 reviews)

• "BVG is great if you are looking for a job from scratch or starting your career(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "BVG is not a game company anymore(in 11 reviews)

• "Upper management still seems out of touch with the rest of the company(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "catered lunch"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great place to work

Oct 9, 2018 - Customer Support Representative in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's great to work for a company that's understanding and flexible with my life. There's catered lunch every day, RRSP matching, plenty of vacation time and there are never any qualms about needing to take sick time. Overall, a great work environment.

Cons

The same negatives you would get with any player-facing role. There are plenty of things worth fixing in-game that we don't have the bodies for yet.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 4.0

Getting better!

Jan 23, 2020 - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Team is awesome to work with! People are very friendly and willing to help! * Good work/life balance * Slowly improving upper management * Good benefits. We have an in-office currency (vikoins) to spend on gift cards (such as Steam, Nintendo store, EB Games, etc.) and other stuff like donations / raffles * London office has catered lunches. Toronto office has catered lunch on Fridays and everyone is given $10 every day to buy lunch (even on Fridays if you choose to opt out)

Cons

* Features may get dropped or put on hold when they are almost complete * Toronto office culture is very different from London office * Would be awesome if we had a little work-out room to go to during lunch * Maybe a nap room would be good too

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for BVG and share your feedback! We have shared your feedback with leadership and we also hope you reach out to colleagues about how design and development can work together better for a better fan experience. If you're not sure who to speak with, ask your manager or the People and Culture team. Again, thank you for your feedback.

3. 4.0
      Former Intern, more than 1 year

Great opportunity for junior developers

May 15, 2020 - Software Developer Co-Op in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing, friendly co-workers - Culture. While I'm not sure how it stacks against other game studios, I did get a sense of family and belonging at BVG that I did not get at my two co-op placements in government. Not only was everyone in the office nice, but I also found them interesting to talk to. It helps that video games are a common ground for most of the devs and artists. - Very talented co-workers to learn from. It was amazing to be a part of the Platform, Tools, and R & D team learning from some of the sharpest minds in the company, and being encouraged to learn new things and also to take the time to do things the right way rather than sacrifice quality to get things done quickly. - And of course the simple perks that go a long way to making the office a comfortable and inviting place to work. Catered lunches, as well as breakfast food, snacks, coffee/tea, and even a beer on a Friday afternoon really make the office feel like a second home. Allowing dogs in the office has a very similar effect and I think it helps bring people together.

Cons

I was only at BVG for a year and never had any problems, but listening to others who have been there longer, it seems it's not all sunshine and roses. Upper management did seem out of touch sometimes, and the lack of concrete plans for any new ambitious games meant there wasn't much to look forward to. The focus was understandably on keeping up with new content in existing games and also developing solutions to support them after Adobe Flash is removed from browsers. As a member of the tools team, this challenge on the horizon was exciting albeit a bit frightening. But many of the employees were either on a content treadmill for YoWorld/FishWorld or working on derivative mobile games.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Human Resources Generalist

Feedback is very important to us - thank you for taking the time to complete a review of BVG! We are also grateful for the people you mention with sharp minds, and those who make our culture welcoming. We're proud of the progress we have made on strategic priorities since May, which include improvements on areas you mention. Again, thanks for your feedback.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

One of the greatest places to work! (in 2015..)

Jul 31, 2019 - Production Staff in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- A lot of passionate people at Big Viking, not as many as there used to be, but there still remains a healthy amount of talented and passionate workers keeping our top performing games together. - Decent perks. Not necessarily competitive, but respectable for the industry. Catered lunch is nice, although budgets keep getting trimmed and quality has dipped.

Cons

- Huge disconnects between employees and management, and especially employees and the CEO. - Favoritism is a very serious issue here and always has been. Someone with 3 years working hard in their role will be overlooked by the new hire simply because the new management team hired the new hire and may not have hired the senior. Very common practice at BVG as of late. The longer you're here, the harder it is to get any recognition. - Most managers favor "yes men" rather than the hard working employees that get their work done. The biggest slackers may be getting the biggest raises or the best promotions, simply because they can focus on overselling themselves in closed door meetings with managers/etc. Often times leaving the teams perplexed as to why some of the worst performers are getting recognition. - Managers in Toronto, workers in London. Often times one vocal worker will have more face time with their manager and that one vocal worker will shape what happens on a team, etc despite them not being the most logical or valuable voice. Just the loudest, or the only one that gets a chance to voice their feedback. - CEOs vision does not align with the vision of his VPs, Directors, etc. He will say one thing in a "town hall" but in reality things are much different, he has just surrounded himself with a senior management team that refuses to admit any wrongdoing and loves to shove blame to the older game teams.

20 people found this review helpful

Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. We take your concerns seriously and have shared them with leadership. We have been working hard to improve transparency and communication across the company to ensure Vikings know where we are headed, how their work contributes to that vision and that they have a solid trajectory within the company. Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review, and we wish you the best in your future endeavours!

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very mismanaged, but some great colleagues

May 29, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Some great coworkers - Great industry to be in - Decent benefits including catered lunch - Passionate customers (players of our games)

Cons

- Favoritism. It's perceived to be a huge play in promotions in the company as of late. Some of the most tenured, experienced, and dedicated employees are overlooked for promotions that are given to people who are close to management. If a team is low on work, someone from that team may be promoted and moved to another team simply because they're close to someone - overlooking anyone already on the team. This is becoming more and more common and a major issue for employees. - Over-hiring in the wrong areas. We've focused on people with fancy titles who deliver very little, when in reality we need more artists and developers. - Career growth. While some people are getting promoted, it's typically people from teams with no work to do who do - discouraging people who have genuinely worked hard for a promotion within their own team. Management is focusing more on buzzwords and certificates to get promotions, instead of actual job performance.

25 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, but going through some growing pains

Mar 25, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work / life balance: for a mid-stage startup and gaming company, Big Viking Games offers pretty good work / life balance, with most days going not much later than 6:00 PM latest. Of course, you'll get your occasional long days, but there's generally a focus here on making sure people don't get burnt out, which is greatly appreciated especially within the gaming industry. Career growth / salary: there are a lot of opportunities for career growth here, as you would expect at any start-up that's a smaller size. People within the company have gotten significant raises for performing well, and the company is generally huge on meritocracy. If you're ambitious, you can definitely carve out a path of success for yourself here as great work is greatly rewarded. Self-funded: the fact that Big Viking Games is self funded is huge, as it means you don't have investors constantly at your door, trying to force you into dumb decisions. On the flip side, I think that the fact that BVG has been self-funded has also generally resulted in a lack of urgency, which can be a problem. All in all, I do think being self-funded is a huge plus, though. Great coworkers: for me, one essential aspect of a company includes the people that you work with. Big Viking Games has been able to hire some amazing people, and it's a pleasure to come to work every day. Great perks: This is probably one of their most advertised features, and for good reason. Big Viking Games has great perks, especially for a company based out of London. I'm not sure if any other company in London offers similar perks, at least I've never heard of any. Daily catered lunches, a half day each month for all the teams to go out and do something fun, a kudos system where people who are doing great work get recognized and can change their "vikcoins" for steam games, etc. There's a lot of cool perks here, and it's a great environment to be in.

Cons

Growing pains: one thing that Big Viking Games is experiencing is some growing pains. As they are expanding their office to Toronto, and as many separate "teams" are being formed within the company, there is less and less communication going on. I do feel like they are trying to balance their growth carefully, but it's inevitable that there will be some hecticness / crazyness as Big Viking Games is aggressively trying to grow their company. This is one of their biggest challenges, and is something I'm really hoping to see a lot of improvement on. Spread too thin: Generally speaking, and this is somewhat expected at a start up, but people are oftentimes spread way too thin. This results in a lack of focus, and if left unchecked can really become a problem. People are often working on too many games at one time. At times, a lack of focus : As a younger start up, Big Viking Games was very opportunistic. Getting YoWorld was a great move, and was something that I thought was very smart and set the company up for long term financial success. However, at times they are too willing to just do anything, and there needs to be more focus and trade-offs for decisions that are made. YoWorld is a good addition, but it means that we're going to have to invest a lot of talent on building out the game that we can't invest somewhere else. There needs to be more focus at this company! Internal communications: it's not uncommon that people within the company don't have a clear idea of what's going on. It feels pretty simple to fix this, though, so hopefully they will take some steps in the future to address this issue.

13 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great perks & culture, poor team management

Oct 4, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits & perks are amazing - free breakfast, catered lunch, unlimited snacks, after work paid-for activities, huge milestone parties, paid outings for special occasions, full health & dental, professional development funding, occasional bonuses, stock options.

Cons

The management from team to team varies wildly, lots of inexperienced people running the games' production, not much cross-team or studio wide standards for best practices or production.

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Awesome

Apr 24, 2017 - Game Developer in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good management and team was very nice and helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions and you'll learn a lot more. Culture is good, the catered lunches are great, and the vikoin system is awesome! Don't be afraid to play video games during lunch break because most people do :)

Cons

Lacking in diversity, both ethnicity and gender. Feels kinda cliquey at lunch but people are very kind welcome you wherever you sit

Be the first to find this review helpful