Big Viking Games Reviews

Found 58 of over 64 reviews

2.1
Big Viking Games Founder and CEO Albert Lai
Albert Lai
Pros
  • "There's catered lunch every day, RRSP matching, plenty of vacation time and there are never any qualms about needing to take sick time(in 8 reviews)

• "BVG is great if you are looking for a job from scratch or starting your career(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "BVG is not a game company anymore(in 11 reviews)

• "Upper management still seems out of touch with the rest of the company(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great place to work!

Nov 6, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company cares about its employees Lots of great perks Work/life balance Supportive team Enjoyable work/projects

Cons

Honestly, can't think of any at the moment! My experience has been positive.

5 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It's Ok

Oct 17, 2021 - Intermediate Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with, I've made so many friends at the company. Lots of fun events. Benefits seem good (though I don't have a lot of other points of reference)

Cons

The work day is 8:30 - 5:30 There have been so many pivots in direction for the tech team... and I've watched the majority of the dev team quit which is a bit demoralizing. And while I think the company is moving in a decent direction now, and it's probably the safest direction... it's not a satisfying one... Like we're taking good steps to improve the game stability and we've started adding new features... but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of the code is super old and difficult to work with. So many of the bug fixes I do I spend more time trying to understand what the code is doing than actually fixing the bug. Same with a lot of our internal tooling... At one point we had ambitious plans to redo a lot of our tooling from the ground up and that was exciting. We had these big plans to be a leader in live ops and create a world class live ops platform, but most of those have been dropped when basically the entire upper management team changed over the course of half a year.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 1.0

Poor management

Sep 2, 2021 - Content Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food, good people to work with, good benefits

Cons

CEO has poor direction and people skills

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0

Waste of Time

Mar 15, 2021 - Software Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

This will ruin your future chances of getting work anywhere decent

Cons

They give bad references for even star employees

5. 3.0
      Current Employee

A history of mismanagement, but things are getting better

Jan 25, 2021 - Live Content Marketing Specialist in London, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The recent changes in the SLT have been for the better, having Albert finally let go of the reins and give control to the new GM is finally allowing someone with the proper skills to run the company.

Cons

Sadly the process of fixing 8 years of bad management and processes is very draining, so turnover is fairly high

6. 1.0

Good for Newbies, Bad for Anyone Else

Feb 27, 2021 - Anonymous
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent place for very junior people to get experience in the gaming industry

Cons

Terrible management at the highest level. I was constantly surprised by the poor decision making that went on behind the scenes. Don't blame everything on the HR department, they had to deal with it all just as much as anyone else. Its a poor sign of company culture health if you struggle to keep an HR professional on staff for more than a year. They know when its a losing battle.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Children in Charge

Jan 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food, beverages and benefits, the building was clean.

Cons

Toxic culture...don't be fooled by the free food and benefits. Middle managers turn over really fast, so does the HR department. It is frustrating to work here, the culture makes the job impossible to do.

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 1.0

blah

Feb 16, 2021 - Data Analyst in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

good for starters, and not many pros

Cons

not for experienced and don't join unless this is your last option

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

BVG is no longer a game company

Sep 5, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Awesome people, some of the best I’ve ever worked with. -We used to have breakfast and lunch before covid. -Depending on department/team you wouldn’t be micromanaged or asked to work extra hours

Cons

-BVG is not a game company anymore. There are two games, they are 10 years old and Flash will die in 3 months. I don’t know if BVG will survive this. They have announced that they won’t be making any more new games. They plan to buy failing games (....) and link them up with outsourcing companies. So if you want to be a glorified carrier pigeon, this is the place for you! -Because they won’t be making games anymore, they fired a ton of people, including half of the art team. I assume the lay offs will continue and will take out the remaining creative roles (art, qa, and even dev). The only roles that will remain are administrative/HR + entry level “content people” (because they can’t outsource English-speaking stuff) -Middle management is as much in the dark as the rest of us. The higher ups will spring stuff up on them out of the blue. Example: they will hire a “super star” who will “fix everything”, and then this person will leave within two months, without anyone every knowing what happened to them. -They will hire and retain terrible people despite many employees voicing their issues. Recently, we had some amazing devs quit because of this terrible tech director who turned out to be a hack. He was eventually fired but by then we had already lost really good people. -The CEO is either someone who’s incredibly oblivious and naive, or just plain incompetent. Or both. He’s the type of person who will make a 20 minute speech and say absolutely nothing. Bit of an art form, that.

25 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

They gotta build trust...but maybe it’s too late

Sep 4, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at Big Viking Games full-time for more than 3 years Pros BVG is great if you are looking for a job from scratch or starting your career. Unfortunately, there are severe problems that will start to cost you after 1,5 years. Some of the Pros: - Stable Employment - Great Perks, Breakfast and Snacks - Remote work. - Hardly ever had to do overtime. - Amazing people and capable employees. - Some team Lead’s intentions are genuine and those are some of the best leaders I've ever worked with.

Cons

- Lack of trust. Upper management does not seem to be aligned with the staff. Tries to be transparent but act inconsistently with their word and treat employees as expendable resources. - Career advancements here are scarce, no mater what they say, which makes BVG a very competitive and toxic workplace. Upper management is always putting obstacles to not give raises and promotions and contradicting their word. You'll get nice compliments but only get decent monetary recognition if you threaten to leave. - Fast paced production pipeline and turn a blind eye to quality consistency (might be costly to mental health, depending on which position/team you are at) - Company at low maintenance mode for years and mostly interested on fast revenue return. - Culture used to be great at the beginning but then became toxic.

10 people found this review helpful