Big Fish Games Reviews

Updated Apr 29, 2020

3.2
Big Fish Games Managing Director and President Jeff Karp (no image)
Jeff Karp
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management seemed disconnected with the employees that work under them and it didn’t feel like they really cared(in 10 reviews)

• "Ideas and improvements are blocked off by inept middle management(in 7 reviews)

1. "It was a good growing experience."

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a creative and ever evolving business.

Cons

When I worked there, they were growing very quickly. There were several directions in which way to go and unfortunately the area I worked in was going in the wrong direction.

Big Fish Games2012-11-08

"Better than some, still not great"

Former Employee - QA Tester in Seattle, WA

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly environment, usual game industry perks (soda and arcade games!), semi-flexible hours, willing to work with health issues

Cons

Get treated like a drone, was laughed at when I asked for a raise despite "stellar performance" (their quote), little to no help in advancing your career.

Big Fish Games2020-04-30

"Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Associate Producer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

New Seattle office is fantastic and located downtown

Cons

Executives are out of touch with employees and customers

Big Fish Games2020-04-18

"Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Big Fish Games is a great place to work and if you are willing to put the effort in you will be rewarded accordingly. The new OKR model is a great improvement for the previous bonus model and reflects work across the whole team. Work is challenging and fulfilling and I happy to come into work each day!!

Cons

The same as most gaming studios is that requirements can change on dime. The whole of Big Fish is moving towards more agile development, capacity and scoping and outsourcing work to meet critical deadlines.

Big Fish Games2020-02-24
  5. "Great depending on the team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time

Pros

Great work life balance and good people

Cons

Old user base keeps the retro compatibility of the product harder and harder to maintain

Big Fish Games2020-02-25

"Lots of potential undone by abusive and deceitful management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work if you like video games, excellent work life balance, friendly coworkers, good location downtown, internal promotions

Cons

Pay is well below industry standards, deceitful (lying) managers, cronyism, Dishonest HR

Big Fish Games2020-02-18

"Great culture but poor management"

4.0
    Former Employee - Contract Administration Specialist (Reassigned to 904231) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It’s a fairly relaxed environment where the company gives you a chance to be heard and be creative. The company was open to promoting folks from all stages. I have many coworkers that had great success in being promoted. They gave employees opportunities to learn and grow. The people were amazing. Going to work felt like going to a big hang out with all my family and friends. This is what kept me going. All in all a fun environment with great perks and a great location.

Cons

This might contradict what I said above. I really enjoyed working there but my comment here is one thing that needs to be pointed out. Management wasn’t the best. Most decisions were made from the top down and the vp of the in house studio at the time made poor decisions which caused several game sun setting or flat out not being released. Upper management seemed disconnected with the employees that work under them and it didn’t feel like they really cared.

Big Fish Games2020-01-15

"Big Fish Games is challenging and a fun place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager, Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big Fish supports career growth for their employees. I started as a Sr. Motion Graphics Artist and wanted to move into Project Management. I was recently promoted to Project Manager, Mgr. It's a challenging and fun new role for me. BFG encourages and welcomes people that take risk, challenge theirselves, and push the boundaries.

Cons

Need to communicate between teams throughout the company more effectively.

Big Fish Games2019-12-03

"Beware - It will get worse before it gets better."

1.0
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location and you'll work with some great people.

Cons

Average or just okay is completely acceptable. Many are resistant to change. Poor performance is rarely coached. HR policies are borderline unethical at best.

Big Fish Games2020-02-01

"Out of touch, out of respect, out of morale"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Tester in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Flexible hours, can occasionally work from home depending on team - OT, while heavily encouraged, is not mandatory - Possibility to move from QA / CS into "better" positions - Camaraderie within individual teams (and only within that team) - You can skate by without giving anything more than minimum effort (and often less!) without ever being punished

Cons

Management & Culture: - QA and CS departments are often flat-out ignored. - Heavy sense of classism - executives / management are completely out of touch with employees, and teams look down on others often. - Management is terrible at laying off unskilled employees, many people that actively bring the company and projects down remain for years with little to no punishment and no threat of termination. - CEO is awful. He blames business failures on employees not being motivated enough, even as they work huge amounts of overtime. - Quarterly reports are often dishonest or purposefully obscure - in private meetings numbers are reported to be critically poor, but then in big meetings in front of the whole company they are reported to be just fine. - When tough questions are posed to management, they often avoid giving answers or give an answer that employees want to hear only to do the opposite in the following months. - Executives and production teams don't care about players at all beyond using them as a means to make profit. Common player complains go ignored for months, if not years, and are only addressed when they reach a critical point that breaks the game in a major and unavoidable way. - Management, production, HR, and many other "higher-level" teams often come in late to work and leave early, rarely working 8 hour days with no punishment, and take many work-from-home days per week with no warning or reasoning. "lower-level" teams such as QA and CS are heavily punished for doing similar, and are often denied requests to work from home even with advance notice and compelling reasoning. Business & Compensation: - Games produced are little more than clones chasing after popular trends. There is very little innovation, even compared to other mobile game companies. - Benefits have been getting progressively worse year after year. - Pay is not competitive compared to other companies in the field in the area. - QA and CS departments have both begun outsourcing work, and are being pressured to outsource further. Both departments are desperately trying to promote employees out of fear that they will be shut down.

Big Fish Games2019-11-20