Big Fish Games Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Big Fish Games Reviews

Updated Sep 9, 2019

Found 190 reviews

2.7
Big Fish Games CEO Jeff Karp (no image)
Jeff Karp
Pros
  • "Excellent work-life balance (haven't crunched once)(in 32 reviews)

• "Good advancement opportunity, relaxed work environment, management has a vision for growth(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is quick to fire employees with little or no coaching(in 8 reviews)

• "I found the negativity (or lack of positivity) from some middle managers to be disappointing(in 7 reviews)

1. "It was a good growing experience."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a creative and ever evolving business.

Cons

When I worked there, they were growing very quickly. There were several directions in which way to go and unfortunately the area I worked in was going in the wrong direction.

Big Fish Games2012-11-08
  2. "focused on crafting top games in the gaming industry"

Current Employee - Exec

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

passionate teams focused on creating great games great people open to learning and adapting fun culture

Cons

still learning how to build top games

Big Fish Games2019-09-09

"Good Ol' Days are gone"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable, great locations (now), quiet for the most part.

Cons

Told one thing and does another, don't feel like part of the team, Been bought out twice and both times changed the company for the worst.

Advice to Management

Where to start... lousy, inconsistent, mean, lake of caring....

Big Fish Games2019-07-16

"Going down like the Titanic under Jeff Karp's money-hungry, non-vision."

Former Employee - Production in Seattle, WA

I worked at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Free mixed nuts Some cool co-workers Overseas travel Good location although expensive garage space

Cons

The very worst upper management I've ever experienced. There is no creative vision, no idea how to grow the company other than to fast follow other ideas, and it's very clear that the top wants to take their bonuses and leave a shell of the company behind. Anyone with brains is looking for a seat in the life boat. Karp is well-known for being the nastiest person in the industry, and he's earned that title. HR... does literally nothing to stop the toxic nature of the workplace except offer you a tissue and a now, now dear.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter. The company will be shuttered in a year or two.

Big Fish Games2019-07-22

"Toxic Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on your role, pay is reasonable. Location near the waterfront close to the heart of the city.

Cons

When the the CEO of the company walks the floors to take an inventory of who leaves before 5pm, you know you're in for a toxic work culture. Culture is defined from the top and you'll quickly see how that toxicity has trickled down through the ranks. If you take a job here, always be prepared to make an exit because there is no telling when you'll have enough and quit or if you'll get fired because you wouldn't... sacrifice your integrity to get ahead. This kind of culture will bring out the worst in some folks and you'll see good people become completely different because they are either in self-preservation mode, or see an opportunity to get ahead. Think carefully if you decide to work here because there are people put in charge that use intimidation and coercion to achieve their own goals. I have seen upper management harass their workers, speak inappropriately in many instances, and intimidate and work you to exhaustion in order to make you quit on your own. Even after informing HR from multiple sources, nothing has been done to remove or mitigate this toxicity. Although this type of environment is not unique to any company, I believe simply, that these are the values that this company currently upholds.

Big Fish Games2019-06-20

"Upper management doesn't care about employees, it's all about $$$$"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great/hilarious coworkers, sometimes there's free food, the work itself isn't hard but it's tedious, public transit costs are covered 100%, associate managers and senior reps in CS are super supportive and work tirelessly to help us, sometime get to just chit-chat with great customers that play the games.

Cons

Absolutely no work/life balance unless you can afford to live in Seattle (lol), no competitive pay/stagnant wages, upper management only cares about making us a "billion dollar company," no job security since they're planning on outsourcing our department to India within the next year or so despite the fact that there's other options to "better reach our players faster", upper management will boast about how great... your department is before gutting it. All they care about is making more money and "better aligning with Aristocrat (parent company)."

Advice to Management

Actually give a damn about your employees and don't outsource outside of the country. Employee morale is the lowest I've ever seen it in the 3+ years I've worked here. So many people are leaving who could be awesome assets to the company in other teams, but I'm sure they want us to leave anyway because it will look better than firing us all. It was a better place to work when Paul Thelen was still here.

Big Fish Games2019-06-21

"Oakland office is a sinking ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The average workers are amazing people.

Cons

Since the aristocrat takeover, management have been either replaced, or hired over by soulless corporate shills that only care about making money by any means necessary. Jobs are starting to get outsourced, and multiple teams are in the process of teaching outsiders how to do their jobs. So may people are leaving we have started clumping their going away parties together. Meanwhile, they tell us that everything is... fine, while slowly taking away responsibilities. Our new CEO is a bully that came over from EA, obsessed with “winning” and “crushing the competition” with no regard how it is accomplished. In his first speech to the company he said there were no layoffs planned. Only a few months later they laid off %15 percent of the studio. Every one at the top has been replaced by his lackies, that share his money first, people last attitude.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings, not commodities. We’ll work harder, I promise.

Big Fish Games2019-06-22

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Solid work/life balance, good insurance, fun work events, cool building, fun people

Cons

Management is more concerned about squeezing profit out of the employees, pay is below market rate and non-competitive, the customer support department is in the starting stages of outsourcing

Advice to Management

Pay the reps a fair wage to avoid burnout and frustration, hire more reps to cover the gaps instead of holding morale events hostage

Big Fish Games2019-06-19

"Social Place to Work"

Current Employee - Game Engineer

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, relaxed atmosphere, nice office / location

Cons

Pay, new management, structure, work

Big Fish Games2019-06-06

"Pays below poverty line"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Big Fish Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, good benefits

Cons

Since being acquired by Aristocrat, the company has become a sterile, unforgiving work environment. Job security is out the window, and advancement from within is a thing of the past. Management will tell you they pay competitively, but $16/hr is not enough to survive in Seattle, and is less than most comparable positions at other companies are starting at. Don’t waste your time on this dead end job.

Advice to Management

If you want to talk about being a billion dollar company, pay your employees enough to live. It’s that simple.

Big Fish Games2019-06-04