Berlitz Reviews

Updated May 21, 2020

Berlitz Chief Executive Officer Curt Uehlein (no image)
Curt Uehlein
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay but good to get your foot in the door if you wanna teach English(in 54 reviews)

• "No benefits for part-time employees and contractors(in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Transforming Company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Berlitz full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to make impactful changes. The company is going through a transformation and that can be challenging, but it also provides the opportunity to do good work and be part of the change.

Cons

Change is hard and sometimes it feels like there is too much apathy. People don't seem to care enough to make hard decisions or make the right changes.

Berlitz2019-11-21

May 20, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Berlitz. We're glad you've provided a positive outlook. We are striving to make this company the best it can be.

"Great Experience so far!"

I have been working at Berlitz full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've experienced great things at Berlitz so far. Friendly staff and flexible work environment.

Cons

Continue to strive for creating a great work environment!

Berlitz2020-03-19

May 20, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Berlitz. We appreciate everything you do for us and look forward to working hard to make Berlitz the best place possible to work and build a career.

3. "Inconsistent"

Current Employee - Evaluator

I have been working at Berlitz part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible, works well alongside a full-time job, few surprises

Cons

Cannot depend on the income; will get $600 one week and $0 the next without any say in the matter. Also no benefits, raises, or promotions after years of being told I'm a good and dependable employee.

Berlitz2020-05-21
  4. "Scheduled day before"

Former Employee - English Teacher
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Berlitz part-time

Pros

The pay there was good

Cons

You only get your schedule the day before.

Berlitz2020-05-22

"Berlitz Doesn't Value Its Instructors"

Former Employee - Instructor in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Berlitz part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's rewarding to teach immigrants from around the world.

Cons

Terrible pay, dated materials. The CEO visited several offices and said they would roll out Berlitz 2.0 which includes new materials and a better scheduling system. They said the business would improve and offices would be a hub of social activity. Those were all lies. They suddenly sent out a mass email saying they would close most offices worldwide and do mostly online classes. They acted like we all knew that was coming. Since then they haven't gotten much new business, and their remote managers are terrible at communicating. This company was sinking before the pandemic. The pandemic could finish it off. Don't work here.

Berlitz2020-04-13

May 20, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your time at Berlitz. I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience during your time here. We are working hard to make sure we do our best to have a positive impact during this pandemic.

6. "Not what is advertised"

1.0
    Current Employee - Enrollment Advisor

I have been working at Berlitz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Extremely poor culture and low pay. Leadership promises commissions, however they seem to always look for excuses not to pay them, if you earn them at all. To say you are micromanaged is an understatement. Targets are too high, resulting in little or no commission when they do pay them. Senior leadership doesn't seem to care at all about their employees. I could go on and on.

Berlitz2020-04-28

May 20, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your time at Berlitz. We appreciate your feedback and will review your comments.

7. "Great part time"

Former Employee - English Teacher in Carolina, PR
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Berlitz part-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands on training at first. Most classes are during the afternoons. Instruction material is provided to the instructor.

Cons

Classes are assigned every day during the afternoons, and you may be assigned a different group. Amount of classes assigned depends on student demand during any season.

Berlitz2020-02-12

May 20, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are working hard to build a good culture at Berlitz and we're glad you see value in areas like our training methods.

"Company that cares about making a difference"

Current Employee - Marketing in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Berlitz full-time for more than a year

Pros

We get to help people by teaching them a new language. Very trusted brand in the sector. Management is committed to changing the company for the better. They are very transparent and are actually delivering on the long term plans.

Cons

Some internal processes and systems are out of date, but the company is investing in fixing these. There has been a lot of change in a short time but it was necessary to change the fortunes of the company.

Berlitz2020-01-27

May 20, 2020Human Resources

Thank you for positive review! We appreciate you taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Berlitz. We're glad you find value in our mission and long term goals.

9. "Fantastic multi-cultural and multi-lingual organization"

5.0
    Former Employee - Director US Public Sector and Strategic Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Berlitz full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I strongly share the values of this organization

Cons

Initial pay levels for most job categories, primarily operational are far too low

Berlitz2020-01-24

"low pay"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Berlitz part-time

Pros

the classrooms are nice. They have a setup teaching routine, so you don't need to work much for teaching plan

Cons

Very very low pay. Their tuition is really expensive but they pay little to the teachers

Berlitz2019-12-18

January 22, 2020VP Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with Berlitz. While we have many full-time positions available, we offer the opportunity for people to earn additional income and flexible schedules as teachers.

Found 661 reviews