Benevity Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2020

Benevity Founder and Executive Chairperson Bryan de Lottinville
Bryan de Lottinville
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Dogs, smart people, great executive leadership(in 9 reviews)

• "Benevity is also very dedicated to employee happiness, which translates to a fantastic work environment(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Like with any growing company, change is constant(in 5 reviews)

• "Growing fast so sometimes it's tough to keep up with the new recruits(in 5 reviews)

"In my 25 years of professional work, I have never worked anywhere better!"

5.0

I have been working at Benevity full-time

Pros

Very positive, respective culture, terrific colleagues (no jerks! none!) and a commitment to always doing better. Amazing clients and a remarkable commitment to client service.

Cons

If you aren't a dog person, it's not the place for you. Some expected growing pains that would be expected when you grow so quickly. Expect to work your tail off.

2. "Great culture, very flexible, pay should be higher."

Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Benevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great culture very flexible growth opportunities not afraid of change

Cons

low pay could use some more processes

3. "Constant growing pains, mix of positive and negative"

Current Employee - Software Development Tech Lead in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Benevity full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company eats their dog food. Managers care about their people. Technical debt is finally being addressed by executive leadership. Culture allows people to experiment and learn from mistakes. Talented, diverse leadership without diversity quotas confirmation of culture of hiring and promoting the best people.

Cons

Charitable giving is neglected during economic downturns so impacted hard during recessions. Extremely fast growth left a lot of technical debt to address. Everyone learned as they went so mistakes were made over the years. Recruitment is heavily understaffed. HR extrapolates and presents numbers in ways which defies mathematical laws (ie: considering people who have no opinion about the company as people who "recommend" the company).

"Bait-and-switch"

Former Employee - Client Success in Calgary, AB

I worked at Benevity full-time

Pros

- My peers are some of the hardest working and most supportive people I have ever met. - Office space is beautiful and the dogs are cute. - Company onboarding is informative, organized, and enjoyable. - Bryan, the CEO, holds himself to a high standard. His hard work and passion are pretty inspiring.

Cons

- People involved in the interview process do a great job of overselling the company and position. - Lack of career development opportunities. Many people have been in the same position for years despite outgrowing the role. - People Leaders and Managers are inexperienced, unhelpful, and disconnected from teams. The leaders tend to cause more stress than provide leadership. - Pay is low in general but especially for the amount of hours you are expected to work. - Overly reactive to client demands and lack any strategic, proactive vision. - To echo what some other reviewers wrote, this isn't a place to work on interesting tasks or build a fulfilling and challenging career.

"Highs and Lows at Benevity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I worked at Benevity full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Programming and culture is amazing. There are a few people on the HR team who are passionate about connecting employees with interesting opportunities for learning, development and fun social events. They do a great job at evolving their internal programming. -The product. The tool is really innovative and you feel like your building a product that makes the world better. -Other employees. There is a diverse group of people at Benevity who have different ideas of how to optimize and grow. You learn something new everyday and people are hungry to pitch in and share the workload. -You will learn, a lot. There is a great potential to take advantage of all the learning and development opportunities at Benevity if you're just entering the job market. You can basically get paid to get an education on how to be an effective team member as well as getting experience in your specific career. Update your resume regularly, and keep track of your role specific and transferable skills.

Cons

-People Leaders. Most ‘People Leaders’ at Benevity aren’t focused on growing and developing their team. A number of them were given the role as a way for them to advance in the company. This leads to leaders becoming ‘growth pylons’ ensuring that employees are staying in their lanes and actually stunting their development. A lot of leaders aren’t involved in the day to day pressures of their team and rely on monthly check ins for 1:1 time with their reports. Some leaders are promoted because they received job offers elsewhere and threatened to leave the company. Now, they are struggling with leadership and making meaningful contributions to the company. These leaders are widely discussed as being toxic and not pitching in their share of the workload. -Compensation. You will not be paid what you’re worth. There will be a sales pitch during interviewing pointing to the awesome culture, benefits, bonus structure and giving allowance. The benefits are okay, the culture is great but the bonus isn’t guaranteed. There were a few people who left my team because of compensation and better opportunities. -Workload. For the low to mid-range compensation you will be expected to work long hours and burn out. There will be programming offered to you to help you deal with burning out but that doesn't change the systemic workload problems that Benevity has. Employees who have a fair work/life balance are seen as lazy and not as valuable as those putting in long hours in the office or online. There were many instances where employees with young families were told by their single,male leaders that they needed to spend more time at the office. You will have employees and leaders try to contact you during your vacation, when you are sick or even expecting you to answer messages during holidays.

Continue reading

"Pros and Cons to every job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Benevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- 4 weeks vacation to start - Genuinely nice coworkers - Good medical benefits, but there is no RRSP matching - Constantly changing processes and software (guess this could be good or bad depending on your outlook). It’s good if you want to experience a lot in a short time frame. - Strong people team initiatives (workshops, events etc) although you may not be able to participate in any of the opportunities nor attend company town halls due to the unmanageable workload and required business needs (this is dependent on the team you are on)

Cons

- Expect to work evenings, weekends, and holidays depending on the team you are on. It will be difficult to find a good time to take time off work, and you may only be able to take a few days at a time. You will not be able to bank hours or take time off in lieu. - Chaotic and last minute decisions that leave people scrambling and producing poor results - Client expectations are prioritized over company resourcing (this is the main cause for the evenings, weekend, and holiday overtime and also the last minute decision making). - Low pay in comparison to industry standard. They are aware of this issue, but it is still an issue nonetheless - Minimal growth opportunities, many good performers have been in their roles for 4+ years with no end in sight. - Work from home opportunities aren’t clearly communicated and have sporadically changed in the many years I have been here. I think this Really depends on your manager. It has gone from “no work from home at all” to “only 2 people from a team can work from home at any given time” to “work from home should be strongly discouraged” to “work from home should only occur for good reason like a sick child” to “need advanced approval from your manager”. - Benevity has a higher rate of burnout and stress leave than industry standard. I would strongly recommend trying to connect with someone on the team you are wanting to join to gauge the level of overtime and stress expected, as I do think this varies widely by team.

Continue reading

"Social Activist Paradise! Regular people, just avoid."

I worked at Benevity full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're young and easily coerced into acting against your long-term interests, then this is the place for you.

Cons

If you're over the age of 30 and appreciate respect at work with interesting tasks and support from leadership to further your career, then this is not the place for you. I've never worked anywhere with more disingenuous and fake people as I did here.

Continue reading

"At least they try in magnitudes higher than other company I have worked for"

5.0

I have been working at Benevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In my career, I have definitely been underpaid for my worth but never was in a position to try and negotiate more, in any of my previous employers. I have never worked for a company that has intentionally got out of its way to review the market vs its wages for their people and actually followed through to make those changes. Its not a perfect company but its an example of people within the company really trying to make things better and a upper management that supports that.

Cons

Really depends on what your role is, undoubtedly some roles are far more stressful and demanding than others

"Typical Tech Company"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Benevity full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- the people - the perks (volunteering, WFH. . .)

Cons

- poor communication throughout the org

Continue reading

"Good people but heavily lack organization and expertise"

Current Employee - Client Services in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Benevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The opportunity to learn - The superficial perks (dogs, drinks, colourful, team activities) - Some great people with interesting diversity

Cons

- Wages are low - Management Expertise and role specific Expertise are lacking - Chances for progression are lacking

Found 92 reviews