Bechtel Civil Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Brendan Bechtel
  1. "Good for grads"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in London, England

I worked at Bechtel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to travel, great exposure to graduates, interesting projects, reasonable pay

Cons

If you are not on the fast-track list, you will not progess quickly within the company

Bechtel2019-08-06

"They will fire you without warning. No loyalty with this company."

Former Employee - Civil Field Engineer in Waynesboro, GA

I worked at Bechtel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Base pay, relocation package and LAHA

Cons

They will blindside you by terminating your employment when least suspected. Eventhough you can follow all rules, perform to your due diligence as expected; it wont lower your chances of layoff. If you have a family, mortgage, cars, and young kids, DO NOT PUT THE FATE OF YOUR FAMILY IN THEIR HANDS, especially if you're a minority. Work for a union or some other organization that has job security.

Advice to Management

Work on employee retention and loyalty and not just look out for the good ole boys.

Bechtel2019-02-06

"Had been a great place to work but recent losing streak has made engineering opportunities slim"

Civil/Structural Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Bechtel for more than 5 years

Pros

Large Project sometimes with challenging, but interesting work Great Benefits (401k Matching + discretionary contribution, HSA plan (w/ employer contributions), employee awards, vacation purchase) Flexible Start and End Times Opportunities to move to outside of office engineering

Cons

The rate of outsourcing engineering work to subcontractors or remote offices is gradually increasing Hard to stay in one location for a long time, as the company expects you to move where the work is The company lives and dies on mega projects and the latest proposals require a long development period before the decision for the final award is made. When the company loses a few projects in a row, the effects are... felt immediately through layoffs or the need to relocate.

Advice to Management

Consider going after smaller contracts with more in house engineering Let lower level managers go after this work to cut down on the large overheads that cause our bids to commonly be higher than our competition Work on cutting down the cost on bids instead of trying to bump up the bid price for risk. A lot of work has been lost because management feels the bids are risky and try to price this into the bid.... Competitors are finding ways to deliver projects at lower costs. I cannot see why Bechtel cannot do the same. Management must get over the attitude that competitors are taking on more risk than they should. Customers are expecting lower cost bids and Bechtel is losing more and more work with this attitude.

Bechtel2018-10-25

"Overall great company, but with some bad spots"

Current Employee - Civil Structural Engineer in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work is fast paced and there are usually international opportunities. Benefits are good and some management is superb. Ability to travel and funding for code committees, education, etc. Decent salary.

Cons

Upward mobility is severely limited. Difficult to tell how hiring, raises, rankings, promotions, or bonuses are determined. A lot of bad promotions are made. Need to heavily self promote or you don't get heard. Hard to get international assignments. Difficult to switch between functions and GBUs. Often very bureaucratic. Connections are valued over merit. Attempts for diversity and inclusion cross the line by... discounting merit. Women are treated very poorly on site. Management figures abuse their position and hurt people's growth in the company. Little respect outside of home office locations, even for credentialed employees, if the position in the totem pole isn't high enough. Productivity is valued over quality and safety, contrary to company value. Unethical behavior not taken care of properly.

Advice to Management

Break down doors. Place value in employees and treat them with respect. Reward for merit, not based on favoritism. Allow a culture of development for those who seek it. Remove senior leaders who don't foster the company values - even PVPs and SVPs. It matters. Treat craft workers with respect and dignity and it will show in their work. I would leave for lower pay based on my experiences but I know and have been in... better parts of the company. Multi GBU, multifunction, multiple locations. Bechtel's VVCs are there, but they get mangled, twisted, and forgotten as they flow down.

Bechtel2017-12-07
  5. "Good not great"

Current Contractor - CIVIL SITE Engineer in Alexandria

I have been working at Bechtel for more than a year

Pros

excellent senior management skills

Cons

hate the way they do people

Advice to Management

fight for the good ones

Bechtel2017-11-20

"Great first job out of college - Field Engineer"

Former Employee - Civil Field Engineer in Canada, KY

I worked at Bechtel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of great people who work for the company (also a lot of leaches), pay was pretty good and as long as you have managers who look out for you, raises we're good too. I learned a lot and it was a great first job before starting a family.

Cons

Sink or swim mentality. There's a divide between employees in the field and at the main office. The main office folks had the work life balance where as employees in the field, this concept was non existent. In the construction group HR was hard to get a hold of, mainly because they were understaffed. At the end of one job they scrambled to figure out where to send you for you next job. There was little advanced... notice and dealing with the moving department is a huge pain. My husband and I both worked for Bechtel. We met on the job. When that project was over they were trying to get us on the same job but couldn't. I was pregnant at the time and didn't want to take a job away from my husband so I was laid off and then let go. Bechtel is a business and you have to go where the jobs are.

Bechtel2017-08-19
  7. "Good place but can improve"

Current Employee - Civil/Structural Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Huge company with a vista of opportunities. Good database of knowledge

Cons

Work process and workforce aren't fully streamlined, middle level management isn't assertive enough.

Bechtel2016-10-19
  8. "Great company"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Frederick, MD

I worked at Bechtel full-time

Pros

Compensation, benefits, and 401(k) plan were all fabulous. Flexible work hours (9/80, except for many field sites) were a nice perk.

Cons

If you're up for settling in one place, you're at the wrong company. If you want to move up in the world, you will have to be flexible in terms of location, job function, etc.

Bechtel2016-06-22

"Civil Engineer"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer II in Frederick, MD

I worked at Bechtel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Schedule, good benefits, good work/life balance

Cons

You must have an aggressive personality to get promoted, to find projects, or to simply get your questions answered.

Advice to Management

You need to bail out the Power GBU sinking ship. Reduce your overhead and win new work. Spend more time developing your employees into successful engineers.

Bechtel2015-08-20

"Young Masters Graduate"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for less than a year

Pros

They're the ENR #1 contractor 17 years running for a reason. There's a strong vision, values, and ethics plan in place. There's a sense of belonging that stems from it still being a private, family company. My time here has been such a positive experience, I continue to learn daily, and I've heard no complaints about the company from my colleagues, a rare find in any civil firm or company.

Cons

Given the breadth of work the goes on at Bechtel, these cons are only from what I see in my area. There does seem to be a bit of a generational lag that impacts innovation potential. There are older staff hesitant to move along with progressing computing applications and work platforms. Information sharing among GBU's could be better as well. There are supposedly recent corporate initiatives to address both these... cons.

Advice to Management

Don't change the core values that have brought you this far. Continue to hire people rather than buy up companies. Use your private status to stand for quality over bottom line dividends. Take action to make the world you're building a better place.

Bechtel2015-07-19