Baylis Medical Company Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2020

3.4
Baylis Medical Company President Kris Shah  (no image)
Kris Shah
Pros
  • "They've made so much changes to provide a good work life balance for its employees(in 7 reviews)

• "Lots of opportunity for career growth, but the culture is that your career is what you make of it(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some growing pains with the fast growth, as expected(in 6 reviews)

• "The one big challenge is the senior management will not accept positive change in a clear and objective manner(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great growing company with a fantastic culture"

Current Employee - Employee in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Baylis Medical Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Baylis has a strong culture of caring about its employees and emphasizing work/life balance on the whole. I know a lot of people have been putting in extra effort during the Ventilators for Canadians project but outside of that they provide lots of flexibility in working hours and working from home. Baylis is a great place to grow your career because they are open to people moving internally and supporting them in their education (either formally or through learning on the job). There are lots of ways to feel included at Baylis, either through the clubs they offer or the different lunch and learn sessions. The President is friendly and approachable and makes a point to speak to new employees.

Cons

There are no major cons I can think of. I know the Ventilators for Canadians project has been tough on anyone, but its meaningful and worthwhile work. The company has grown a lot in the last 5 years and has done really well with managing that growth.

Continue reading
  2. "good place to start a career"

Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Baylis Medical Company full-time

Pros

the people you work with are amazing

Cons

really fast growing company, so some growing pains expected

3. "its good to work here had fun"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Baylis Medical Company part-time

Pros

had a great experience with the mentors

Cons

no cons have a great fun

June 11, 2020HR Team

Thanks for sharing!

4. "Toxic Workplace for no real good reason, sketchy managers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Baylis Medical Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great for new grads with no previous experience. Build years of experience in medical device, because years is what this industry values. Leave after a few years unless they want you in their club. Some really great coworkers who are skilled in their field. Friendly attitude with a focus on okay benefits. I met some really great medical device professionals who are knowledgeable and shine professionally.

Cons

If you have professional experience, don't come. The environment is toxic, and you should leave your brain and previous experience at the door. Overall, you need to be either blind or cynical to thrive. Be in with the clique, and talk about trivial problems while avoiding the big dangerous ones, its high school all over again. Managers are hit and miss, but the majority are awful. Managers are inappropriate and unprofessional with subordinates. Micromanagement. Gossip is widespread. Bullies thrive. Competition is destructive not constructive.

Continue reading
  5. "stop asking so many questions glassdoor!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Baylis Medical Company full-time

Pros

baylis is amazing to work at!

Cons

none. its a good place overall

June 11, 2020HR Team

Thank you!

"Really good company"

Current Employee - Assistant Controller in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Baylis Medical Company full-time

Pros

care, understand, support, nice project,

Cons

nothing to say on the cons

7. COVID-19

"Not Satisfactory"

Current Employee - Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Baylis Medical Company full-time

Pros

Most of the engineers are still young and fresh from school, they are friendly to work with.

Cons

Salary is below average. The exception from every employee is to provide exceptional work but the salary is barely close to market average. On projects that need to be finished quickly, for example the ventilator project, the expectations are set so high that you have no choice but to work extra hours for no overtime salary. Not to mention the cut in salary because the RRSP matching has stopped. The reason for stopping RRSP matching was the reduction in revenue due to COVID-19 but they did not factor in the millions of dollars Gov of Canada is providing for the ventilators. Blatant lies to all employees who are working ridiculous hours only to be told that they need to work harder. It makes one question, what would the company do for me in return of all the personal time I'm investing? Possibly not much. Not to mention the effect of this on the mental health of all their employees. When it's easy, Baylis does invest in training staff to help others who might be suffering through poor mental health but when money is at stake, no help seems to be provided. All the directors, managers, and president, you people have a bigger role to play in managing your team in a way that they can be efficient and remain healthy. You people are failing miserably but luckily you run the company so there is no one to review your performance, we must provide feedback on Glassdoor so anyone can see. To all young engineers out there and new grads, Baylis seems like a very attractive place to work at. Baylis is a good starting point but don't get comfortable here. Their methods of doing things are very different, negatively, than the rest of the industry. The people responsible for bringing change aren't willing to do so. Anyone who tries isn't treated properly and if the person doesn't adapt they are let go. Work here to get a foot in the industry, but leave for better opportunities when you find one. Baylis is no doubt very attractive on the surface, but quite the opposite once you've spent enough time here. To all experienced engineers, if you join Baylis, remain open to change. Your methods, no matter how logical and efficient, will not be embraced with open arms. I've seen companies that don't provide any perks yet have very satisfied employees because their time and work are managed well and their ideas of improvement are embraced. The projects are handled well and employees are given enough time to do their work in a way that not only helps the company but also leaves every employee satisfied with their work. Simply, there is a healthy relation between the company and its employees. Baylis lacks that very much, especially in engineering. All the perks you provide like gym, book club, tea club, board games, yoga, boot camp, etc are cool. I like them. Decorations and icing alone don't make a cake.

June 17, 2020HR Team

Thank you for your comment. Again, we want to extend our deep appreciation for the work being put into manufacturing ventilators for patients suffering from COVID-19. Given the scale of the pandemic and severity of the virus, there is a high degree of time-sensitivity around getting these devices to Canadian hospitals. While we have a significant responsibility to Canadian patients, our responsibility to our staff remains an immediate priority for Baylis. Contrary to your statement, we are providing overtime pay for this project. If you have not reached out to your manager regarding your hours, please do so. Further, all Baylis employees, including those on this project, have been asked to make booking vacation time a priority to ensure their personal well-being. If you have not yet booked any vacation time, we ask that you please do so. If you have not done so already, please reach out to your manager or a member of the HR leadership team with any questions.

"On its way to successs"

Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Baylis Medical Company full-time

Pros

Baylis has grown tremendously in the last 5 years. They've made so much changes to provide a good work life balance for its employees. They implemented steps and procedures to ensure that its staff is accommodated and benefits + salaries are reviewed regularly to maintain competitiveness within the market...

Cons

Accommodation of good employees who's able to work part-time instead of full-time due to personal restrictions.

"Accepted offer."

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Baylis Medical Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growth oriented, nurturing, innovative and passionate culture

Cons

I havent found any cons until now

"Needs to make major adjustments in some areas"

I have been working at Baylis Medical Company full-time

Pros

-Professional development -Regular gatherings, with copious food; free hot beverages. -Flex hours. -Some managers are sympathetic to employee concerns, however incapable of taking decisive action which is extremely frustrating and outright bewildering?!

Cons

-Cliquey; -Utterly unprofessional & immature employees blatantly & CONSTANTLY engage in gossip and very LOUD, CRASS & inappropriate banter & jesting. This very much mars the company image & brings reproach thereon, not to mention irritates & disrupts those who are actually working. -Mean & malicious bullies by and large get away with previously described behaviour, if disciplined at all, remediation not commensurate to the offense. Hence cycle of abuse perpetuates that creates an extremely negative, hostile & unpleasant work environment which in turn results in employee disengagement, dissatisfaction & low commitment. -Bad behaviour is routinely glossed over & tolerated.

December 19, 2019HR Team

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. Like you mention, we are proud to see many of our employees take on professional development opportunities and grow their careers further. On a personal note, it sounds like you have been having a difficult time and have some concerns that could be better addressed by speaking to your manager directly or someone else within the HR management team. We welcome you to speak to us anytime.

Found 111 reviews