Basis Technologies Employee Reviews about "ad tech"

Updated Aug 20, 2019

Found 13 of over 316 reviews

4.0
Basis Technologies Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker
Pros
  • "I never thought I would ever find a place where I could work on cool problems AND have a great work life balance until I came to Centro(in 30 reviews)

• "Centro has a great benefits package(in 25 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management(in 8 reviews)

• "Ramp-up on the product is a bit steep, but seems to be the nature of ad tech(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

219 Comments

Tech

82.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Basis Technologies~301536
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "ad tech"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Fantastic Place to Work

Aug 31, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing company culture Great working environment You feel on the forefront of Ad Tech

Cons

There is sometimes a large disconnect between departments

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Ample opportunities for growth for driven and knowledgable people

Jun 18, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great culture - Work on the latest and greatest in ad tech - See the products you deliver in action internally and externally

Cons

Not many negatives to cite. Maybe that some of the higher management is too conservative in their approach to team management, communication, and project delivery.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place to work- hands down!

Aug 20, 2019 - Performance Analyst in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will never find a company culture like Centro. Everyone is so friendly and truly there to help. It is an extremely collaborative work environment with some of the smartest minds in the Ad Tech/ Digital Marketing industry. The CEO, Sean, is extremely hands on and receptive to his employees and their needs. Ego's are left at the door the second you walk into Centro and all ideas are listened to and treated equally. At Centro there is no such thing as "my way or the highway" managers are open to new ways of doing things and listen to what other people have to say.

Cons

If I ever want to change career paths, it's going to be tough to find a better company that makes me excited to come to work everyday.

2 people found this review helpful

Basis Technologies Response

Centro

Thank you for your feedback on your time at Centro! We’re so happy that you’ve found the culture here to be special. As you know, the leadership team tries very hard to cultivate a transparent, collaborative, and ego-less culture and loves hearing new ideas from our people! If you have any additional feedback or ideas, please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -EVP, Talent and Development

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Centro is fully committed to clients and employees

Feb 28, 2018 - Director in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I like that Centro continues to be focused on client campaign performance. But also, the company places equally high value on training, which allows employees to grow personally and professionally. Most exciting, currently, is that Centro’s buying platform is now in the hands of many agencies and brands across the country... and user base is increasing rapidly. From an HR and benefits perspective, the company offers medical, dental, 401k, generous vacation, wellness programs, charitable programs, gym reimbursement, and so much more. I feel fortunate to work for Centro and truly enjoy coming to work every day. Huge props to our founder and CEO, the new sales and MSO leader(s), and the people in our office. Love the culture!

Cons

Retaining talent can be difficult. With internal training/education and people consistently working on creative campaigns, Centro employees are among the most experienced in digital media and ad tech. So they are often approached by recruiters and other companies.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company

Feb 27, 2018 - Sales in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Centro offers top notch benefits including 401k matching, a 3 week sabbatical for tenured employees, competitive pay, 4 months maternity/1 month paternity leave, (the list goes on...). Most important, Centro offers the opportunity to work with an outstanding group of individuals in a challenging and supportive environment. Yes, the company has gone through changes over the last 8-10 months, but we are in an industry that is constantly evolving. I commend the leadership team for not allowing us to become irrelevant but rather, pushing the envelope to make sure we stay at the forefront of that evolution. Change can be difficult, but if you're not willing to play a role and push for a stronger outcome, then perhaps it's time to reconsider a career in Ad Tech.

Cons

There is room for improvement when it comes to unifying communications across teams.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Principled company that cares about employees and the industry

Feb 8, 2017 - Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

We have a mission to improve the lives of the people who work in digital media. We've had a lot of challenges in the past year, but we've always been true to our goals and honest with employees about the business. Unlike our other peers in ad tech, we are not in it for the quick buck. We care about the customers and we care about the people who work here. Oh, and we met most of our revenue-based bonus goals so it's a nice way to start the year.

Cons

As I said above, there are lots of challenges in the ad tech space. Everyone is a competitor and it's tough to create tech that meets all of the industry's needs -- especially if those needs continue to change. This is not an easy ride and you can't coast in this company.

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee

7 years and no product

Jan 14, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

good benefits. good time off policy. free food. good location.

Cons

wants to build ad tech product that is everything for everything. no expertise. middle & top management is a revolving door. build and throw and restart software is mantra.

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

Smart and Generous Leadership

Mar 29, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Centro experience varies by team according to who you work with (including from a role, coworker, office location, and client standpoint). Prospective employees should understand that an employee’s experience is tailored depending on these factors. That being said, it seems that the Centro culture makes it a great place to work for a majority of employees. Centro offers employees a great deal of upsides including: 401(k) & HSA contributions, unlimited vacation, sabbatical, gym reimbursement, and the opportunity to transfer between positions/offices when company & employee goals align. No company is perfect, and neither is Centro. But if you’re looking for a top place to work in the ad industry, I would recommend Centro. More than the material benefits, the intangibles (such as feeling challenged at work and believing in the company’s mission) contribute to feeling satisfied. Centro sits in a unique position within the ad tech marketplace which is constantly evolving, and the company is frequently iterating on its products and services in order to better serve the industry. Some people, including some employees, may see this as a negative because of the company’s need for continual realignment (this included changes near the end of 2015). But many others see this as a positive, because although it’s a large company, it is still highly adaptable to meeting the needs of the market on a real-time basis. It's fun to be a part of a company that you feel is contributing to something larger than yourself. The company, which is still led by the founder/CEO, has made well-informed, strategic decisions for acquisitions and areas of growth. The company does take risks to position itself as a leader, and while not all of them have led to immediate returns or without their hiccups, the leadership is humble and has been quick to take responsibility and correct course rather than fall behind the industry. Centro’s track record proves that the CEO and leadership are more focused on integrity and the long game than they are with status quo or quick gains in the short run. This fits well with employees who are intrinsically motivated and see their work as an investment into the future version of Centro.

Cons

A good review of Centro doesn’t mean that it’s an easy place to work. It’s not all downhill coasting; you must be prepared to work hard. Some employees have a sense of entitlement, perhaps partly developed because Centro is a generous place of work. As stated in its manifesto, Centro works well for those who have a sense of personal responsibility: “Each person is responsible for her/his own improvement, the improvement of those around them, and the improvement of the company.” Centro is a wide company with many different types of roles available, but the hierarchy isn’t always as deep. Growth most often refers to expanding your own skills, knowledge and capabilities, not necessarily by way of title and salary. It’s not the kind of company where you automatically move up into a new role or title each year.

18 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Account Lead - Love my job!

Sep 3, 2015 - Account Lead in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people, compensation/benefits and Centro culture. The people at Centro all share similar values and are the epitome of teamwork. I have an amazing support team, experts available to me and my clients/agencies at all times, and the management is extremely helpful. This is not a company that micromanages and everyone works together to achieve success. As an account lead, I have a base + uncapped commission based on annual goals. My goal has been achievable every year. Starting at Centro, the benefits include a 401K match, gym reimbursement, 3 weeks vacation, 10 "Ferris Bueller" days, 3 months paid maternity leave, a 3-week paid sabbatical after working with Centro for 4 years and MUCH more. It's a work-life blend and management supports goals both personally and professionally. The Centro culture has remained strong despite the aggressive growth we are seeing. The manifesto is something we all live by. if you walk into a room with our team, you can't immediately tell the difference between top management and entry-level employees - everyone is working together for a common goal.

Cons

There are certainly some 60+ hour work-weeks but you manage your own schedule as you need to get things done, finding a balance with time off and slower periods. The chaos of the fast-growing ad tech industry can be overwhelming for some, however it is a great thing If you are an over-achiever and thrive on "busy."

8 people found this review helpful
    10. 4.0

Great Place To Build A Career

Dec 15, 2014 - Vice President
      Business Outlook

Pros

Centro is one of the few places in the media industry where you can build a great career. There used to be a lot but for a variety of reason, that's no longer the case. Centro engages employees with the assumption that they will work there a long time. You can grow at Centro whether you are in the early, middle or late stage of your career. The main reasons are that there's a big company investment in personal growth and that you get to work with BOTH technology and service, not one or the other. All this comes from the vision and strategy put together by the CEO, so it's a mature proven system for attracting, growing and retaining talent

Cons

There are very few daily cons about working at Centro. There are the usual fast-growing-company issues such as scarcity of resources but these eventually get fixed and should be expected. Day to day it's a fun and engaging place to work. The main con is that Centro struggles making its identity clear. Many people think it's an agency but it's actually an ad tech company with a fantastic service layer. The technology is relatively weak compared to the ad tech giants and mainly used internally, so this is the source of confusion. When the technology is more robust and it's identity is crystal clear Centro could really take off.

3 people found this review helpful