Base2 Solutions Employee Reviews about "base2"

Updated May 7, 2020

4.5
Base2 Solutions President and CEO Ron Hopkins
Ron Hopkins
Pros
  • "More than lip service is paid to work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• "Challenging projects, great people to collaborate with, culture of constant learning/growing, flexible work schedules to some degree(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "This is not really a negative, but be aware if considering Base2(in 10 reviews)

• "I'm usually at the client site (due to my job role)(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "base2"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to Work - Hard Work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Constant focus on what's right for the people They mean it when they say "People are our most valued resource". Really good people - I enjoy the people, and am proud to be part of the team Freedom to take the initiative AND rewarded for taking the initiative

Cons

It's very hard work, but reasonable hours. (This is not really a negative, but be aware if considering Base2.) I'm usually at the client site (due to my job role). Some of the client's environments well, suck.

Base2 Solutions Response

May 11, 2020CEO

We try to keep the company as flat as possible. You won’t find a culture of micro-management at Base2, we couldn’t be successful if we did. We hire the best, empower them, and make sure there is a team of people to support them when/if they need it. It has worked since Base2 was formed, and we don’t envision any changes going forward. Thanks for the review and glad you are seeing those principles in practice.

2. "Big company benefits; Small company culture"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of really interesting work, often on genuinely hard problems. More than lip service is paid to work-life balance. Low drama environment with great people who ask "How can I help?," instead of "Why do you want that?"

Cons

Not a good fit unless you're flexible on the type and location of your work. Most Base2 engineers work at customer's locations, so commutes can vary widely from year to year. Consultancy jobs require getting up to speed rapidly, often across a wide range of technologies; expect to fumble in the dark more than you're use to.

Base2 Solutions Response

May 11, 2020CEO

We take a lot of pride in keeping the drama low. Whether in the Base2 office or a customer site, we have found focus and calm is the quickest path to get a project back on track. Consulting isn’t for everyone, and you have accurately captured some of the Pros and Cons. We try to make sure that every recruited individual understands the dynamics before they join Base2. No one wins when an employee is surprised after they start. :-) Thank you for the review.

"One of the few places that you enjoy to work at"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good Manager (that I reported to). Good company and very friendly staff (I am talking about week 1). One of the few companies that understand work-life balance. After 4 years at Google, Base2 is on same level for me when it comes to 'how happy every morning thinking about going to work'. Very friendly team members that are always enthu to help you out with any info you need. The industry my project is in (Aero) needs lot of time to ramp up. But, the team support made the ramp up quick and fast and easy.

Cons

Driving upto client place is the only negative thing. But again, allowing flexible timing by Base2 has made the long slow commute avoidable.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Base2 Solutions

Pros

I’ve worked with Base2 for several years and can unequivocally say it’s a great place to work. Employees and customers are the top priority and it shows. There are a lot of very talented folks that work hard and can be counted on to deliver. There is a sense of urgency to what we do, but an atmosphere of calm and balance, which makes for a meaningful and satisfying experience overall. People are kept informed and involved and the company puts a lot of effort into creating opportunities for people to connect and have fun.

Cons

No real cons. Every company has things to work on and Base2 has done a good job at identifying where they need to improve and investing the resources to actually do something about it.

"Base2 Rocks!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people! It's a blast to work with such smart and motivated people. Great to have people who you bounce ideas off of and get help when you need it. I love that I don't have to worry about slackers or team mates not cutting it. I feel empowered to just do the right thing for the customer and don't need to ask permission or jump through hoops.The administration is very focused on helping the consultants. They not only stay out of the way, but really helps! The total compensation is good. The benefits are now competitive. This was an historic issue, but they kept making them better every year. What company has benefits that keep getting better?

Cons

It's hard work. You customers rely on you. Your teammates rely on you. (However, the hours are reasonable and there is a good mechanism to ensure that people aren't over doing it. It's a clear that this a long game not about this week's billable hours.) I rated Base2 a five on career opportunities, because technically and as a consultant there's lot's of opportunities. Not the place for someone who wants to be Executive VP of watching others work.

Continue reading
  6. "An Internship at Base2 Solutions"

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions

Pros

I am a current college student and just recently finished my Sophomore year. I was recommended to Base2 by a friend and was quickly in contact with a recruiter at Base2, they kept me up to date on the process and let me know if anything changed, it was a great experience working with people that really cared about you during the application and interview process. My interview process at Base2 consisted of a couple of phone interviews and one in-person interview in Bellevue. The phone interviews were very casual and comfortable, mostly asking me about my background and what I was interested in, things that I was passionate about. I was also able to ask any questions that I had about the company, and going into my in-person interview I had an idea in my head about what Base2 was going to be like. Being in the office completely met the high expectations I had set for the company, the community was just as described, it was welcoming, and very friendly. It being early-on in my career I haven't had a large amount of experience with interviews but Base2 made the process as easy and comforting as possible. I got the chance to talk to and interview with a good number of people on the team. I was introduced to a former intern to talk about what an internship looked like at Base2 from someone who experienced it first hand. I was able to meet with the people I would likely be working with if hired and heard about the things that Base2 was involved in. It was a truly enjoyable experience. I'm currently finishing off my first month working for Base2, and I can say I've thoroughly enjoyed the time here so far. I met with my lead on the first day to talk about what I was hoping to get out of the experience, and so far I've exceeded those expectations only 4 weeks in. The internship has been very hands on, and I've worked on a number of projects already. Some of which have involved a large portion of the team here at Base2. The environment is in no way pressuring, and I haven't received any harsh deadlines I'm expected to meet. Instead the team has been encouraging and constructive, helping me to reach my goals when necessary and expressing interest in the progress that I've made, they really understand that this is a learning experience just as much as it is a job. Overall I'm excited to see what I'll be working on for the rest of the summer and would recommend looking into Base2 if in any way interested.

Cons

I can't say I've had any negative experiences in my time working for Base2 as of yet. The one area of discomfort I've had is with the free roam I've had on some projects, working independently on projects where most of the specifications have been left up to me. However, as much as this is a discomfort, it has also led to the majority of my success here, so in turn I don't think it would be fair to label it a con in any sense of the word.

Continue reading

"Smart people and innovative solutions"

4.0

I worked at Base2 Solutions full-time

Pros

The management are all very transparent and friendly. Their consultants are smart and dedicated. Overall a good place to work.

Cons

They needed to diversify their clients. Perhaps better benefits for their developers as well. Some of the clients' work sites were less than appealing, although I realize that is beyond Base2's control.

"An excellent company where people are its biggest and best resource, and with the culture and attitude that supports the"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part of Base2 is that everyone is your colleague and peer - the management structure is very flat and lightweight. While you of course have a lead/manager that you report to, it does not feel cumbersome and bureaucratic. You know that everyone is always on your team, and you are on a first-name, casual basis with everyone including the top leadership. The culture is quite open-minded and flexible and encourages self-development and tries to fit you into work that you are interested in. You're encouraged to develop new skills and take on new responsibilities. Great for self-directed learners. Work-life balance is excellent. Rarely do I feel pressured to put in long overtime hours or the need to prioritize work over personal life. Crunch time happens, but it is very infrequent. The pool of customers and projects has been growing and getting more and more interesting lately, which is a great trajectory to be on. Benefits have improved rather dramatically in the past 2-3 years.

Cons

The business of consulting of course comes with variability. Sometimes projects are fantastic with awesome teams and awesome customers and you wish they would never end. Other times the projects are more humdrum with difficult customers that are harder to get excited about, but they never last forever - especially if you keep regular and open communications with your lead. Internal HR and finance processes and systems are a little old school and could use more automation, but this has been improving since Base2 was recently given autonomy to manage and improve our own processes separate from their sister/parent company. That said, the HR and finance people do a great job and are always easy to work with. I've never had any issues that took more than an email or a phone call to sort out. Base2 has been trying to expand its business beyond just Aerospace/Boeing with some success, but it has been a slow process. It's a difficult task that I do not envy, but would love to see more progress in this arena. The expertise in developing and managing complex systems and software could be applied to a much wider selection of industries, but it's tough to break in. Relatedly, to move into a management position requires a certain amount of "sales" and finding new business. I use quotes because typically new business is evolved from previous projects and clients, but it still requires some hustling. The often distributed nature of the business sometimes can make connecting with coworkers difficult when some people are in the main office and some are in various client offices.

"Operations"

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance - Base2 strongly supports their employee's needs to have a life outside of the work place. There are times when more hours are required to meet deliverables, but it doesn't happen all the time. Culture - Base2 is very committed to having a culture where people want to work. From the little perks of an office espresso machine and free snacks and sodas, to encouraging social gatherings both in or out of the office. This keeps everyone more connected and people really care about one another. Accessible management - Base2 doesn't put a big emphasis on titles and upper management is very approachable. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for help from any of the leaders. Time-off benefits - Base2 recently increased paid vacation time to three weeks per year.

Cons

Base2 is getting bigger and with that comes growing pains such as increasing the infrastructure to accommodate all the new employees, (i.e. expanding office space - which is in the works, review operational processes and adjust as necessary to adapt to the company growth.

Continue reading

"A Great Company with Great People"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Base2 Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Base2 has an excellent culture. It is fun ("Vinyl Fridays", holiday parties, summer picnics, family events), collaborative, inclusive, respectful, and emphasizes work-live balance. Base2's product is its people and it treats it's people very well - much better than other companies I've worked for and with. Because Base2 supports a variety of clients and industries, every project is different and presents a unique challenge and an opportunity to learn and grow professionally - life is never boring. I also appreciate that the primary focus on customer satisfaction. Many companies say that but Base2 and it's people truly believe in it.

Cons

Consulting by nature means that you are embedded with the client helping them solve their most challenging problems. Most of your time is at the client site, which can make it harder to stay connected within your own company. Because the company is smaller, the opportunities to move into management roles are somewhat limited. While Base2 tries it's best to fit people with projects they enjoy, it is possible that you may occasionally be assigned to a project outside of your primary interests (the good news is that those projects never last forever).

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 10 reviews