Barnes & Noble "part time" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Feb 21, 2020

3.4
Barnes & Noble Chief Executive Officer James Daunt (no image)
James Daunt
Pros
Cons
  • "You only are paid minimum wage with no raises over time(in 190 reviews)

• "I worked 40 hour weeks every week for 4 months as a part time employee and never made overtime or received benefits(in 188 reviews)

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good part time"

Current Employee - Barista in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work atmosphere is great and job isn't very stressful

Cons

Low pay, no part time benefits

Barnes & Noble2020-02-21
  2. "Not Bad for a Big Corporation"

Former Employee - Cafe Server in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved the other people who worked there, the fast paced environment, and the ability for lower level and part time employees to word towards benefits and paid time off.

Cons

It's all about the money. The book floor hardly ever had enough staff for the number of customers and in the cafe in order to take breaks we would have to leave one of our coworkers all alone because no one was there to help cover breaks.

Barnes & Noble2020-02-21
  3. "A lot of work with minimal compensation."

Current Employee - Community Business Development Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers are wonderful, making working inefficient tasks bearable.

Cons

Low pay. The wages throughout are not livable and hours are 20 per week or lower, unless they're desperate to have hands for a project but even that's a fight to achieve. Everyone is part time until you are either a store manager or the CBDM. Disorganized. The resource center has too much outdated or not taught material. There is no formal training for a CBDC, learn as you go and pick up tips and hints from your predecessor. "To the company we are all just booksellers."

Barnes & Noble2020-02-07
  4. "Barnes and Noble Bookseller Review"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Naples, FL

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere and discounted Starbucks coffee. Suitable for a first job.

Cons

I worked 40 hour weeks every week for 4 months as a part time employee and never made overtime or received benefits.

Barnes & Noble2020-01-02
  5. "Great Coworkers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone was pleasant to work with, management was very flexible with schedule.

Cons

As with most part time jobs, management and other employees tend to not stay long.

Barnes & Noble2019-10-26

"Barista Position / Beware!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros

They offer good benefits for part-time employees, you get a good discount in the store and cafe. Everyone was really nice, welcoming, easy to get along with. You get to work in a cafe/bookstore environment which is nice if that's you're thing. Making coffees is fun.

Cons

The job itself is not hard, but one thing that I didn't anticipate was long shifts in which you are on your feet the whole time. A lot of my schedules were 8 hours long and my feet would be murdered after each shift, if I had a shift on a following day I'd dread going into work just because my feet were still killing me from the previous day. So you might want to invest in some really good, supportive shoes and take lots of advil if you have sensitive feet like me. They didn't tell me this during the interview process but there is a black out period where you can't request off which is Oct-Jan ( at the location I worked at ), so if you have holiday plans you can forget it! This location did not use the app for shift coverage, it was available but no one ever actually used it, they just verbally asked people or asked the manager. Since this is kind of awkward no one did it, so your shift was just your shift unless you called in sick. They also didn't tell me this but MOST of the job is not making coffee. They have three positions in the cafe you will rotate around: support ( baking and preparing food items to order ), POS ( taking orders ), and bar (making coffee). These are assigned per shift, so for example you might be assigned support and you'd be support that whole shift, you can't go over and make coffees ( unless it gets busy and bar is on their break). There is also a lot of cleaning duties, particularly if you are an opening or closing shift. And they take this really seriously, your MOD has to come check and make sure you did everything right and there's guidelines for EVERYTHING. So you'll clean hard ( yes, you'll have to wash dishes, especially as a newbie). If you don't like cleaning steer clear because you'll do that more than anything. My main complaint though was the management and their transitioning for new hires. I often felt neglected during the first few weeks, myself and two other trainees were so confused about really important things that we just couldn't get an answer for, for whatever reason. And other things we didn't know at all because they were never explained. Then, there are things that were falsely reported to us. For instance during my interview I was told my position was 28 hours a week, 4 shifts a week. One month into the position and I was getting 2 shifts a week consistently. This is ultimately why I had to leave. Thats a huge difference in pay! SO be very careful if you're going to be relying on this job for income. And take everything your hiring manager says with a grain of salt. I got the feeling they needed people ASAP so they said whatever to get you to accept the job, that's my opinion I don't know if that's the case.

Barnes & Noble2019-10-27
  7. "Digtial Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

Company perks like 30% to 40% off of books and some merchandise. Every now and again we got 50% during employee appreciate week.

Cons

Its a part time job that seems more directed towards kids. There were only a few positions that had full time capabilities.

Barnes & Noble2019-10-27
  8. "Asked too much of of minimum wage staff"

Current Employee - Bookseller

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Discounts - 30% off non-sale items

Cons

The store I worked for wanted booksellers to do manager work for 9.50. Moving hundreds of books, completely redoing the store and things of that nature. I was part time, and they said the hours varied from 8-40 hours per week. It was not reliable and the asked too much of me, which is why I quit.

Barnes & Noble2019-10-09
  9. "Good job"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Visalia, CA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good corporate job. You can advance fairly wasy

Cons

Limited hours. Part time position

Barnes & Noble2019-09-09
  10. "Good Company Overall"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Clemson, SC

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The managers were all super nice and overall it’s an easy job. Everyone starts out as temporary workers during the busier parts of the school year but if you show interest you can definitely move up to part time.

Cons

You only are paid minimum wage with no raises over time.

Barnes & Noble2019-09-02