Bardel Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Bardel Entertainment Reviews

Updated Oct 11, 2019

3.2
Bardel Entertainment CEO Rick Mischel (no image)
Rick Mischel
Pros
  • "Artists are generally great people(in 14 reviews)

• "Good place to start a career in animation(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "They often demand unpaid overtime and are unwilling to address bad professional practices including sexism from stronger animators(in 15 reviews)

• "Their pipeline is broken and expect artists to make up for it(in 11 reviews)

1. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Artist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool projects to work on. Nice beer Friday and dogs. I was told it was a sweat shop by previous artists but so far it’s been great. Relaxed atmosphere and friendly people to work with.

Cons

Short contract would be nice if it is longer

Advice to Management

every studio has the next “big” project they can’t name coming. Would be nice to know more so we don’t keep looking for the next gig.

Bardel Entertainment2019-05-04
  2. "Ups and Downs"

Current Employee - 3D Animator

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, occasionally fun projects, not too much OT

Cons

sometimes crunch gets bad and they dont pay OT. They dont let you know whats going on behind the scenes at all.

Bardel Entertainment2019-10-09

"Upper management consists of a bunch of cronenbergs"

Former Employee - Animator

I worked at Bardel Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Community team organized fun events - Operations team was efficient and great to have in the studio - Decent projects, talented artists - Good stepping stone as a junior

Cons

Poor planning - Last minute notifications of whether we still have a job at the end of the week (or day) makes it very hard for us to plan our lives, or even our careers! Cheap rate - Stop pitching low bids on shows and then low-balling the artists! They demand senior talent at a junior rate with an unreasonable amount of work without OT pay. Lack of career growth - Managers preach development and growth but... they don't know the first thing about it because they don't care enough to invest or keep anyone long enough to do so. There's an inner circle - Upper management and line producers are cliquey and will promote their favorite people even when there are others who are more deserving. They've let go of the good ones and kept the incompetent ones around. Production and upper management will ask the studio for feedback but they're not looking for change, they're looking for validation.

Advice to Management

- Take accountability for your own and your middle managers' lack of leadership. You don't blame the child, you blame the parent - it starts at the top so set an example. - Mean what you say - we've seen a lot of promises fall through the cracks. Don't try to test it and lose the very little integrity this studio has left.

Bardel Entertainment2019-10-12

"3D Animator"

Former Employee - 3D Animator in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bardel Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to get hired, some fun projects

Cons

Low payment, lots and lots and lots of OT, you are expected to do OT without payment, they make you feel OT is your fault, producers are rude and demand more and more work

Advice to Management

You have humans, not machines.

Bardel Entertainment2019-09-02
  5. "Bad studio, great artists"

Former Employee - Asset Technical Director

I worked at Bardel Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Artists are generally great people Immediate supervisors were wonderful in my team

Cons

No career growth Uncertainty in securing the next job is a constant fear Ambiguous direction from exec team is frustrating Lack of investment in the staff, they rather just replace non-key players whenever possible (keeps the wages and costs low, hiring juniors) Known for low pay when compared to other studios If you're a technology (IT, TDs...) person, avoid like the plague

Advice to Management

I don't care that you're telling us the next show is 99% of the way there, while half my friends are being let go next week BECAUSE there's no work. Invest in your artists and technology.

Bardel Entertainment2019-09-04

"Bardel has lost their way."

Former Employee - Animator in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bardel Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great artists, decent projects to work on, convenient location.

Cons

Low pay Don't pay overtime Their pipeline is broken and expect artists to make up for it I got let go after I tried to discuss some temporary but serious health issues I was experiencing. They expect too much from you, but don't want to budge if you need something from them.

Advice to Management

Back in day when we were working on mostly flash, I'd say that was a good time for this company, management seemed great, work life was really chill and exciting, not sure what happened to you guys over the years, but you've lost your way, you won't grow and get better if you don't listen to your artists. They're not crazy, they're not asking for too much.

Bardel Entertainment2019-09-17

"They don't know how to treat their employees"

Former Employee - Pipeline Technical Director in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bardel Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing to say really maybe time to shut down

Cons

They don't pay overtime, and they have a broken pipeline where they expected the workers to compensate.

Advice to Management

Quit, hire people that know what they are doing

Bardel Entertainment2019-09-14

"Great Artists, bad management"

Former Employee - Production Assistant

I worked at Bardel Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The artists were amazing to work with - Decent location - Cool projects to work on

Cons

- During my time there I received little to no training from my supers and manager, usually being told to ask the artists/supervisors for directions on how to do production work. Often just left on my own to figure out how to do my job. - When a coordinator left I was given her workload with no guidance, no promotion or pay raise. I figured once I had proven myself that would change, it did not. After taking a... prescheduled vacation the position was filled without my knowledge and I was left with no work to do. - Production staff were cliquey and often unprofessional, routinely complained about artists in inappropriate ways. - HR was extremely incompetent in the time I was there, hopefully it has improved, but were unable to offer help and forwarded my emails asking if there were any shows I could move to when my contract ended to my PM instead of replying. - My production team refuesd to help me find a new contract and effectively burned my chances of working in the industry by refusing to give me the title of the job I had done for them for almost 9months.

Advice to Management

- Improve attitudes in your production departments, they should be more respectful of artists and shouldn't operate like a highschool cafeteria. - Improve working conditions for artists, stop pitching low bids to shows and making the artists work overtime to make the deadlines you set wrongly.

Bardel Entertainment2019-08-08
  9. "Chill work environment. Sometimes too chill"

Current Employee - 3D Animator in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very relaxed, and friendly work environment. Allot of talented individuals. But allot of the, "don't worry about it, well finish it somehow" mood goes around. Pushes a lot of important things that should have been done little by little, too being done last minute instead and suffering in quality.

Cons

Studio suffers from, "don't worry about it, well finish it somehow" mood. Pushes a lot of important things that should have been done little by little, too being done last minute instead and the projects suffer for it.

Advice to Management

Be a little stricter on the artists. It's an odd thing to say as an artists myself. But too many artists got away with too many things that made the work lazy and not meeting standards.

Bardel Entertainment2019-07-13
  10. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Artist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Bardel Entertainment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun place to work, beer and dog Fridays are fun. Most people are friendly, especially the help from I.T.

Cons

some producers are a little hard to deal with.

Bardel Entertainment2019-07-04