Baker Tilly Canada Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 10, 2020

Found 16 of over 97 reviews

3.9
Baker Tilly Canada National Chair Grant Galbraith (no image)
Grant Galbraith
Pros
  • "Work life balance, great people, amazing clients(in 9 reviews)

• "Great place to work filled with great people(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "So don't kill yourself during busy season for a place like this(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours, lots of levels of senior which makes it slower progress to move up(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Amazing place to work

Dec 10, 2020 - Assurance Senior Manager in Dartmouth, NS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, great people, amazing clients

Cons

Nothing bad about BTNS to mention

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Overall Experience

Dec 1, 2018 - Staff Accountant in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- challenging - everyone is willing to help - great work/life balance - paid overtime or time off - flexible hours - exposure to all employees, including partners

Cons

- downtime can sometimes be tedious as there is nothing prepared ahead of time for these situations

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Senior staff accountant

Nov 6, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Young professional environment with lots of talents Awesome learning experience

Cons

Horrible company benefit and compensation No work life balance

4. 4.0

Great place to learn

Sep 28, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

No better place to learn about accounting

Cons

Public accounting does not offer a lot of work life balance. This is certainly not specific to Collins Barrow

5. 3.0

CBV Review

Nov 11, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

you will have great coworkers which definitely make the negatives worthwhile

Cons

like every other public accounting firm, there is almost non existent work life balance

6. 5.0

Senior Staff Accountant

May 16, 2016 - Senior Accountant in Ottawa, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a current student trying to manage studying while working full time is sometimes challenging. One of the best pros for working for CB is the work-life balance they offer. They're really supportive when asking for time off to study. Also, compensation is very competitive as CB pays for overtime.

Cons

There aren't that many downsides. We don't do too much FRS work in the Ottawa office so if you're looking for experience in IFRS then I wouldn't suggest CBO.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0

The Worst of the Worst

Jun 4, 2017 -  in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Most of the partners and staff are very friendly and helpful. (except HR and IT) -Work/life balance is reasonable -Extra days off during the year -Some good community and social events

Cons

-Worse two years of my life. -Management only cares about management. -HR only cares about making management happy and the staff's happiness is an afterthought. Forget about going to HR to look for solutions. You are labeled and blacklisted. -High staff turnover especially in October after the yearly bonuses are given out. The take the money and run attitude speaks volumes about staff morale. -Had to pay for half of my monthly benefits. Never worked at a company where staff had to do this.

2 people found this review helpful

Baker Tilly Canada Response

Leadership Team

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear you experienced our firm this way. It is difficult to respond to some of the comments without actual examples. We can say with confidence that our professional and operational leadership is committed to listening and investing in our talent across all levels. We are glad to share that our turnover rates have declined. We also want to reiterate our continued efforts to provide a great staff experience - including regular socials, casual dress policy, collaboration spaces, a firm-wide mentor program and regular leadership communications. In response to staff feedback, we improved our onboarding process and enhanced our benefits, including our group RRSP program and fully funded health spending accounts with increased limits.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great culture most partners are friendly

Aug 12, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get exposure to a lot of different industries and the work culture is great because they offer a great work-life balance

Cons

Performance evaluations are usually based on the company's current hiring policy. If they are over-staffed they will give you a bad review but if they want you to stay they will give you a great one.

9. 4.0

Good place to work

Aug 14, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible benefit structure (although others have a hard time understanding it and will disagree with me) - HR has been really trying to improve things, e.g. changes to benefit plan, dress code

Cons

Work life balance could be better. Policy is that managers and up can work from home once a week, but in practice this is hard to do and can be looked down on.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not the best, not the worst either

Jun 28, 2016 -  in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

This review is specifically focused on Collins Barrow Toronto. The Firm drives itself on being a progressive player in the accounting & advisory realm and they have made this possible with things such as: - Innovative IT team: definitely progressing to building better tools and support Firm-wide - Busy season socials, misc. socials throughout the year: great social events, boosts employee morale and engagement especially during busy season - Great people: people are extremely friendly and genuinely make an effort to get to know you - Location: great location (in the heart of Downtown core), close to subway lines and Union Station - CBT Days: offer 5 extra days off to all staff in addition to yearly vacation entitlement - Busy Season Audit Bonus: Assurance staff receive a bonus after busy season - Staff Involvement: ways to get involved, from the social committee to community work, the firm does value staff involvement in socials and activities

Cons

Although there are pros, the overall culture and total rewards at Collins Barrow Toronto are extremely demotivating and prevent the Firm from retaining its staff. - Health Benefits: are atrocious. Seriously, if health/dental benefits are a huge factor for you, do not join CBT. The worst part is that management thinks they are amazing, but they are extremely low for a firm competing with big 4. - RRSP: Does not exist until you hit 3 years of service. Very minimal firm matching, and not many staff make it to 3 years to have it kick in. - Limited Growth Opportunities: Very few staff are promoted within; Audit staff have opportunity to grow level wise, but you'll hit a plateau once you hit the senior mark. - Turnover: Turnover is extremely high at the firm; its constantly very busy because you are training new staff every 6 months. The firm says it's "growing", but it's mostly just backfills to replace exiting staff. - Work/Life Balance: Very little, expected to cancel vacations at the last second, or work while away. - Top Heavy: the Firm is very top heavy, and half the manager's have never managed people and need people leader training. My manager was clearly lacking how to manage and engage staff. Constantly hiring managers and senior managers, but very few staff level. Don't expect your voice to be heard unless management has already decided or agrees.

6 people found this review helpful

Baker Tilly Canada Response

Marketing Manager

Thank you for your comments. You have many positive things to say about CBT’s people, culture, innovation and rewards which are appreciated. We understand that staff is our biggest asset. As such, we are committed to investing in our talent and listen to staff feedback at all levels of management. Currently, we are reviewing further benefits enhancements and look forward to improving the staff experience with our other development programs including our firm-wide mentoring initiative.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 Reviews