Baker Tilly Canada Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Oct 20, 2020

Found 9 of over 97 reviews

3.9
Baker Tilly Canada National Chair Grant Galbraith (no image)
Grant Galbraith
Pros
  • "Work life balance, great people, amazing clients(in 9 reviews)

• "Great place to work filled with great people(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "So don't kill yourself during busy season for a place like this(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours, lots of levels of senior which makes it slower progress to move up(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Senior Manager

Nov 7, 2017 - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great social events, great office location. Very dedicated management team focused on company and people growth

Cons

Long hours during busy season

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good Place to Work

Oct 20, 2020 - Tax Accountant in Windsor, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work filled with great people

Cons

Long hours during busy season

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Respectful place to work, good experience

Nov 5, 2019 - Accounting Technician in Halifax, NS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Respect from coworkers, great learning experience

Cons

Long hours and hard work

4. 4.0

Great place to work!

Jan 13, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- gained lots of valuable skills & experience - good pay - worked with great people

Cons

- long hours in the winter but should be expected because of tax season! - working at a desk all day can get tiresome

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Senior Accountant - Toronto

Nov 28, 2017 - Intermediate Account II in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Depending on the pod you are in, managers and seniors are very helpful. - That's all I can think of!! - Free beer and pizza in busy season (not necessarily a pro, because it doesn't contribute towards my career growth...but some ppl like it)

Cons

- I won't talk about long hours, that's expected in all public accounting. - For some reason they have 2 levels of intermediate, which is unheard of in the industry, so essentially you are promoted later than any other firm, probably the biggest disadvantage - For some reason staff was expected to deliver impeccable file/product without any mistakes at an unreasonable time. They even wanted us to put hyperlinks for wp in excel lol. I mean that's a sign of laziness on managers part. No offense - Benefits are only 1500 spending account, RRSP after a year. No pension. 3 weeks of vacation. - Smaller private groups are not that organized so watch out for that. - Some of the clients are really bad, we end up doing the accounting and assurance work on that and therefore there is alot of time-eating involved in that. Which i never understood why do we even do that. Have CFO services and offer your clients bookkeeping support so you have less effort. - Some clients still hand write working papers (I know...lol) and that becomes frustrating. - I know clients who don't know how to get the GL in excel (I know...lol) that also becomes very painful because now you are at clients mercy. - Time budgets are unrealistic given the messy clients that we serve. Which is the biggest reason people quit. - Unusually high turnover, in my term of about 1 years, I saw almost 10 - 15 seniors/intermediates, 4 managers, and 2 partners left the firm. Everything is fine but partner leaving is unheard of. - No sense of "time = money'. What I mean is that if a file is for 10 hours, you do a job that reflects 10 hours, not that reflects 11 hours or 20 hours. Your job should reflect 10 hours, but the management expect you to spend 20 hours and eat the 10 hours basically...not sure whats so hard to understand, if a file budget is 10 hours, you get 10 hours of likewise work, obviously if I am given 20 hours on the same file, the work/product would reflect 20 hours and it would be much nicer. Let me clarify, if I was 5 days to do my UFE, I would kill it, but that didn't happen, there was limited time and we trained/taught to pick and prioritize, and we passed lol. Same should apply when doing a file!! dont you think??

Continue reading
    6. 4.0

Senior Accountant

Oct 9, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good corporate culture, diverse experience across different clients

Cons

Long hours, lots of levels of senior which makes it slower progress to move up

7. 4.0

Manager

Apr 26, 2015 - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Well managed firm. Rapidly expanding.

Cons

Long hours. They try to retain the best.

Continue reading

Baker Tilly Canada Response

Leadership Team

We appreciate your comments. Indeed we are growing fast! In order to support new and existing staff, we continuously review our programs and engage staff and partners in new initiatives to further enhance everyone's work experience, balance work and life, and develop further skills and knowledge to advance in their careers.

8. 3.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Sep 5, 2013 - Co-op Finance Student in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

friendly work atmosphere good pay good training program

Cons

long hours, often expected to work overtime

9. 3.0
      Former Employee

Associate

Oct 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

interesting work, good partners to work with

Cons

long hours relatively, lower average pay

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews