Bain & Company Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

1,688 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,688 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work-life balance is incredible with a lot of flexibility/autonomy (in 68 reviews)

• Steep learning curve: if you keep up with the work load, you will learn a huge amount and set yourself up for a great career at the firm and beyond (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to ensure work-life-balance & sustainability (in 270 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours as always in consulting (in 314 reviews)

1. "Great Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

Pros

Great work life balance. i met a lot of interesting and good people. Made money and connections in other industries.

Cons

I felt that some of the people that i work with are jealous.

Advice to Management

Look for Jealousy

2. "Associate Consultant"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great mentorship and focus on professional development. Everyone you work genuinely wants you to do well.
    - They invest a lot in you for training.
    - Great people and culture. Particularly in the Toronto office, it feels very close-knit.

Cons

- Long hours and lack of sustainable work/life balance.
    - Lack of clarity in staffing and opportunities to work in specific industries that you are interested in

3. "Awesome people, great learning environment and impact."

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with
    The topics you work on

Cons

Hard job with high work load

5. "Never stopped raising the bar, never stopped teaching me to grab it"

Current Employee - Principal in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Principal in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Constant escalation of my skills, but paired with a huge amount of support. I was always in over my head and there was always someone throwing me a life preserver and teaching me to swim.This has stayed true for 8 years.

Great culture, great people.

Cons

Gets stressful when you're close to a promotion point - though I admit this is most self-imposed!

6. "Good company overall, though different experiences in regional office"

Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

strong culture and nice, down to earth people...

Cons

high turnover translates to limited investment in mentorship

"I learned a ton, and it is a great brand to have on my resume."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

Pros

- Work hard surrounded by very bright and competent people
    - Very high learning curve
    - Good benefits and salary relative to consulting firms out of the top 3

Cons

- They play on the emotional weaknesses of consultants to make them work harder
    - Managers are promoted for being good client managers, not for managing teams well, so a lot of managers are not concerned with how their teams view them

Advice to Management

- I know it's not easy, but one of these days Bain is going to have to deal with the fact that it's not a very welcoming environment towards women past a certain tenure. Try as they might with women's dinners, etc, it still feels like an old boys club.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

Pros

Really great people. I always feel inspired at Bain and get great proffessional development opportunities. We also get a lot of responsibility

Cons

Work life balance can be an issue. Hard to know how tough a given week will be in advance so making social plan can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Management has managed downturn really well. I would make a push to enter government space give their greater involvement in corporate america.

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

Bain & Company Response

27 Sep, 2016 – Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

10. "Great Company, Great Benefits, Lackluster Salaries"

Current Employee - Coordinator, TSG Support in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Coordinator, TSG Support in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture is great here. Everyone is working towards the same goal and is very invested in the job they have. Benefits for consultants and support staff are great. They take personal develoement very seriously, so there is really no job here where you won't be expected to be learning and improving constently.

Cons

Work/Life balence leaves something to be desired. Some support staff are very undervalued in terms of salary, but they make up for it with other benefits and perks.

Advice to Management

Maintain culture by focusing on individual people goals. Value your support staff more by pushing to be more competive in training and personal developement.

11. "CTL"

Current Employee - CTL in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - CTL in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work on the most challenging problems; work with intelligent and easygoing colleagues; compensation; most sustainable consulting experience; feel a part of an office/community; Private Equity experience

Cons

Long hours and travel can make experience less sustainable for certain cases

Showing 1,688 of 1,800 reviews