Bain & Company Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic range and depth of exposure to industries, functional areas, and business issues. Accelerated access to work directly with senior level managers and the "C-suite" much more quickly than via industry path.

Cons

Very long hours and substantial travel. Organization is results-driven but there's some risk of frustration / disillusionment about being an advisor and not really owning the results.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest heavily in training and supporting your people. It's what sets the firm apart.

2. "Manager"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The most outgoing, challenging, supportive, exciting, fast-paced, motivating work environment I've ever seen.

Cons

The hours can be intense and the travel can be a drawback

Advice to Management

People are the key to our success. Keep recruiting and retaining the best people in the industry!

3. "Best place to work"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always challenged, important problems, great people

Cons

Need to figure out how to make work-life balance work on an individual basis. Once you figure it out, it can be sustainable.

5. "Manager Assistant"

Former Contractor - Manager Assistant in Toronto, ON
    Former Contractor - Manager Assistant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Bain & Company as a contractor

Pros

Great place to work, great culture and people.

Cons

Somewhat poor advancement opportunity for certain administrative positions

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

Bain & Company Response

27 Sep, 2016 – Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

7. "Truly The Best Place To Work"

Current Employee - Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While interviewing at Bain and researching the company I was highly skeptical about the raving reviews. I am happy to report that after working here for ~3 months, I LOVE BAIN - the company values are practiced and seen everyday; the environment is fun, supportive, and interesting; and the people are intelligent, caring, and, for the most part, all wonderful to be around. I hope to be at Bain for many years to come and can't imagine a better work place.

Cons

If I had to criticize something, I would say there are a few CSS members who do not necessarily embrace the Bain motto - "A Bainie Never Let's a Bainie Fail". There are only a handful and it really does not influence the overall culture so don't let a few bad seeds steer you away from a truly amazing company!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and continued dedication to grow the people, brand, and firm!

8. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting and impactful work, lots of learning, great people and lots of fun; varied experience and a flexible career over time.

Cons

Hours can be long, though their is a focus on sustainabililty and leadership work hard to manage these;

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the people!

9. "Great culture, amazing teams"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast pace learning, respectful of work life balance

Cons

very few cons if you're looking for a competitive career (not a place to relax for a couple of years)

"Fantastic place to start and continue your career!"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Bain excels at the fundamentals of management consulting - driving results for clients. We work with change oriented executives to drive transformational change throughout organizations in the toughest areas. We work collaboratively with our clients and enable the organization from top to bottom to own and drive change. The other huge benefit is the support you have to ensure you are thriving personally and professionally. The attention to professional development is a skills accelerator and helps you achieve your professional development goals and explore your interests. Our home office staffing model is a key mechanism to ensure you have the opportunity to explore your interests, make sure you develop a well-rounded management skill set, and also have the strong relationships to help you navigate your career (mentors, sponsors, advocates). You work with Texas people and then see them in the office or on future cases which helps develop strong relationships that are so important as you manage your career. They also have great flexibility in the work schedule when trying to manage a career and family.

Cons

As with any management consulting firm, the job is demanding.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in our people - it is our key differentiator! Also continue to invest in the support services that enable our case teams and unlock even more value for our clients and our teams.

11. "An amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For me, it's the people that make Bain such a special place to work. Every day, I come into the office and I learn from people above, below, and at the same level as me. Everyone also knows how to have fun outside of the office to ensure their is work / life balance.

Cons

As with any great job, we have to work hard. That being said, Bain attempts to keep things balanced hard cases followed by more manageable ones. They also make corrections when a team is having a tough run by adding additional investment resources and pushing back on the client's scope.