Bain & Company Associate Consultant Intern Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great experience"

Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Brussels (Belgium)
    Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern

Pros

- Fun people and culture
    - Great coaching and good feedback to improve yourself
    - You learn a lot quickly

Cons

- You have to be flexible enough to travel
    - Type of tasks and experience can be very case dependent. Sometimes you might have to do a lot of searching for data points which can become tedious.

Advice to Management

Try to make the internship experience as varied as possible, so interns can have a taste everything. Keep up the Friday drinks and other events!

"Great Company"

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern

Pros

Learnt a lot from peers and seniors, direct exposure to senior management and clients

Cons

Long hours (sometimes past 2am)

Advice to Management

3. "Best way to spend a summer!"

Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Tl;dr - Had the opportunity to do impactful work with amazing people

- Intern managers listened to my interests and staffed me to a project that was a perfect fit
    - Had a team that instantly made me feel welcome. Also, the team was the most efficient group I've worked with - the amount of work that was accomplished was astounding. It'll be tough to go back working on school group projects...
    - Became great friends with all the other interns and many of my colleagues. Going out after work with other Bainies was the norm, not the exception

Cons

Hours can be unpredictable (although interns were somewhat "protected")

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work on the internship program!

5. "Great Company Culture"

Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern

Pros

Truly great place to work and gain experiences.

Cons

Long hours. Sometimes very intense.

6. "Associate Consultant Intern - Best Summer I could have asked for."

Current Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to meet and engage with senior leadership, got to work on really high-impact pieces of the case. Travel from day 1, treated like a permanent member. Got to meet with clients even as an intern.
    Beyond the work itself, i was shocked at how much I loved the culture. Bainies are incredibly helpful, humble and fun. Every weekend as an ACI has fun activities, and they allow you to bring SO for most of them. Awesome, awesome company

Cons

Nothing. I had a phenomenal summer. Work hours are long in consulting, but as an ACI they protect you quite a bit and would regularly tell me to leave earlier than everyone else.

Advice to Management

I really liked when my partner or manager would ask if they could take me out to lunch. I should have been more proactive in asking of my own volition, but those two lunches were crucial 1 on 1, casual interactions that completely affected my entire summer. I loved it.

"Bain prides itself on its culture for good reason"

Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Bain constantly surprised me with how well it understands its employees and its model. Everyone I was teamed up with instantly worked well together, my colleagues and mentors were invested in my success, honest and constructive feedback is constantly flowing upward and downward, and all of Bain's employees take an active role in contributing to the positive company culture. We have fun together, and work hard to solve interesting problems. People think critically, and welcome thoughtful ideas and opinions from anybody regardless of their status in the hierarchy. Management encourages younger employees to pursue their interests, regardless of whether they choose to stay at Bain long-term. It is clear that our satisfaction and professional development is a top priority for everyone in the office. Bain also legitimately executes on its commitments to social impact and improving the surrounding community, with all of its offices remaining carbon neutral (including air travel), and making significant contributions to charitable causes in the form of pro bono engagements and direct volunteer service. I had a resoundingly positive experience as an ACI, and I am looking forward to returning full-time next year.

Cons

Bain could sometimes do more in terms of ensuring diversity and maintaining a positive work-life balance, but it is open to feedback and encourages its employees to take an active role in identifying and working on Bain's weaknesses.

8. "Amazing place to work"

Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The work culture was amazing. I loved the people on my team and I was able to add real value. I was given a ton of responsibility while still having a strong support network.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any negatives I experienced during the summer. You do work a lot but I expected that going in. If you don't enjoy lots of social events that could be draining.

9. "Associate Consulting Intern"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant Intern in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant Intern in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Bain & Company (Less than a year)

Pros

The Bain brand is as prestigious as it gets in consulting.

Cons

The casework isn't that interesting. Most of the cases have to do with operations and are very limited on their scope

"Purported culture is not consistent"

Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Intern - Associate Consultant Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely one of the top consulting firms I could gain experience at - most people were kind, open to feedback, and communicative about how they felt about you. On top of being extremely smart, of course. I definitely enjoyed getting advice from the people who were honest, and not out to "catch" me for saying things contrary to the Kool-aid they expected us to drink. I made some lasting friendships and some people became lifelong role models for me.

Cons

There was a deep level of cynicism and exhaustion in the company, partly because many consultants were working well over 14h a day over many weeks (which is inconsistent with the messages they sent about caring for their employees and ensuring top productivity with adequate rest). As an intern, I experienced a few weeks of the same, despite them promising that the internship was meant to be an enjoyable experience with a lighter workload than a full-time. I also had a particularly bad experience with one manager, who was extremely intimidating, and intolerant of upward feedback (again contrary to what they sell their company culture to be).

Advice to Management

Listen to everyone, especially the hardest workers of your company. Reward them with rest, not just money. And listen to your interns too - I feel like I can't give any of my talented peers solidly positive review of the firm anymore, and that's a waste for both you and them.

11. "Best. Summer. Ever."

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The ability to make an impact at Bain is incredibly exciting, and truly available. The people at the firm not only are incredibly intelligent and capable, allowing for such impact to be made, but also sociable, fun, and aware, making for an outstanding culture. There wasn't ever a moment where I felt like I couldn't reach out to someone and truly felt as if the firm demanded a lot from me, but also offered all it could to help me do so; I also felt as if the firm truly wanted me to succeed. In short, I think Bain offers to make a substantial impact on companies, with an amazing group of coworkers, in an environment that truly pushes you to develop personally and professionally.

Cons

With the high-impact work and expectation of your best effort/high quality work comes long hours. I found myself having to cancel plans with friends outside the firm regularly as my schedule would often change multiple times throughout the day. I do believe the impact of this was substantially lessened by the fact that Bain staffs locally and that we typically had our weekends free.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I really enjoyed my summer and couldn't have asked for anything better.