BCLC Reviews

Found 120 of over 135 reviews

4.1
BCLC President and CEO Jim Lightbody
Jim Lightbody
Pros
  • "Awesome benefits and people and work life balance(in 19 reviews)

• "Amazing people, great benefits, beautiful office, penison(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "We consistently consider the impact of gambling on the health of players in BC - always(in 9 reviews)

• "Typical government red tape which causes quite a bit of monentary waste(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee

Steady Job

Sep 12, 2021 - Technician in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

indoors, onlsite training, good people, predictable hours

Cons

heavy slot machines, requires minimum physical strength to do well.

People Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for leaving another 5 star review of BCLC! We appreciate the work all our slot machine and table game technicians do for us on location at our casinos!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work

Aug 29, 2021 - Senior Sys Administrative in Kamloops, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable management on the IT side, decent compensation, socially responsible organization

Cons

No career path. No plan for emerging technologies.

People Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for leaving a great review for BCLC! I hope you had a chance to learn more about our new Social Purpose at last week's town hall. I will note that we are taking a closer look at Mastery Path in our Business Technology and other groups, and there has been significant growth in the % of senior roles (Systems Engineer, for example) in the last couple years. Thank you for pointing out (correctly) that we can always be doing better! As for your concern about emerging technologies, we do have a group focused completely on Innovation - new technology, new games, new programs, however they exist outside of "Business Technology". If you're comfortable sharing the specifics of your concern with your leader, with your ACE representative, or if comfortable, feel free to email us at recruitment@bclc.com so we can ensure the appropriate team is aware. Thank you again!!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Care about the employee

Aug 11, 2021 - Senior Financial Analyst in Kamloops, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent work / life balance. The organization provides outstanding benefits options, and pension. There are often opportunities for progression or development.

Cons

Pay may be limited due to government restrictions. Structure places a ceiling on ability to progress in a mastery role.

People Recruitment Advisor

Hi! and thank you for leaving such a fantastic review! You make a great point, as a crown corporation, we realize there will be other companies who pay higher than us in certain situations, but we have a great team that work extra hard to make sure our People Rewards offering is very attractive. In addition, our programs in wellness, learning, and social give our people plenty of opportunities to connect and that helps make this a fun place to come into work each day!

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

Excellent e-gaming mathematics design

Aug 24, 2021 - Senior Mathematician in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Senior Quality Assurance Analyst, Technical Assurance Digital/Lottery

Cons

Not sure what does Cons stand for

People Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for leaving a review of BCLC as an employer! We happen to agree, the technology and logic built into our eGaming platform is exceptionally well done! Good to have you on the team! (pros and cons represent positives and negatives of your experience working for BCLC, and gives other prospective job hunters a look into the company and what it's like to work here!) Thanks again!!

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Aug 7, 2021 - Retail Sales Associate in Surrey, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Independent working, not too busy, straightforward purchases by customers

Cons

Lottery ideals might be harder to grasp onto for some, sometimes slow so would get boring

People Recruitment Advisor

Wonderful! Hi there, it sounds like you work for one of our nearly 4,000 lottery retail partners around the province, in kiosks or as part of retail stores. We appreciate so much our lottery retail partners, and would like to thank you for doing your part in driving our lottery business forward. it's you and people like you who help make our games exciting! Regarding your hours, I'd suggest talking to your leader and asking for more. It's possible that business has slowed due to the pandemic and may be picking up soon. Best of luck!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

My Extended Family

Jul 16, 2021 - Systems Engineer in Kamloops, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

To me, BCLC is like my extended family. There are many different types of people. Some who I have gotten close to and work with quite closely, with others who I see only periodically. Everyone is professional and driven towards a common goal. The feeling of family comes from the support that has been given, and received, through various hardships (personally and professionally). Regardless of what the situation was, people here are empathetic and willing to help. BCLC's support within the community is similar to that of it's employees. Many people see BCLC as a gambling company. The part they tend to overlook, which, in my opinion, is bigger than the entertainment we provide, is the support that is provided to the players and the communities. Two, of the many, examples of BCLC putting people first is through the GameSense and Voluntary Self-Exclusion programs. The various committees have something for everyone while providing value to the community and employees. There is Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging, Wellness, Mental Health, Photography, Social Club, and Employee Giving, just to name a few. There is plenty of opportunity for personal development and career progression.

Cons

At the time this is written, I have been with BCLC for almost 6 years. In all honesty, I found the first few months to be a struggle. The transition from the private/retail industry to a crown corporation provided some challenges. The onboarding process was overwhelming with the material and training. It felt like my head would explode as I was taking in all of the new information. I found that people were more than willing to help and answer questions no matter how silly it seemed. The first was segregation of duties. I could no longer develop a solution entirely on my own. I had to learn how to communicate across the various departments to build a complete solution. In a crown corporation, we are held accountable to the public. Therefore, I found there to be more emphasis on documentation and procedures. This was initially frustrating as it slowed down my pace of work. After learning the procedures and understanding the documentation requirements, my work capacity naturally increased. Not only that, but it helped with cross training and bringing the teams up to speed a little easier. There is an acronym for almost everything. I was completely lost when talking to people when first starting, as I didn't understand the new language. There are still times where I will be stuck trying to figure out what a certain acronym means while the person talking is already paragraphs ahead. When this happens, everyone is good with stopping and re-explaining things long-form.

People Recruitment Advisor

Wow! Thank you for leaving such a detailed review of BCLC! There's some fantastic points being made here! You're absolutely correct about the people - we hire fantastic people, give them the resources they need to do what they do, and provide some opportunities to connect as a community and enjoy the 37.5 hours a week we are here for. Many people outside of BCLC are not aware that we are a leader in Player Health. You mentioned some great examples, and people can learn more of what we're doing in this area here: https://corporate.bclc.com/player-health/overview.html You mention some additional great points regarding getting up to speed, and you're right, as a large forward thinking crown enterprise, there can be a lot to learn when you first join, especially if you're used to smaller organizations. We will be taking a deep look at our onboarding process over the next year with the intention to provide more resources to ease transition for new people. We're glad you're seeing noticeable improvement with our Agile Framework. Our people really are the best at what they do and the self organizing process has proven very effective. Thanks for the feedback!

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Benefits Program

Jul 28, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

100% paid, cafeteria style, benefits to fit current phase of life, great pension program

Cons

there were no cons to this program

People Recruitment Advisor

Hi! and thank you for leaving a review of BCLC's benefits programs! Yes we're pretty proud of our well run Defined Benefit Pension plan as well! Many don't become aware of just how powerful it can become until they're getting closer to that stage in life, so that's a great observation. Flexible benefits (and the mental health options that were added this year) are great at being customizable to where each of us are in life! (I know I appreciate the RMT option myself!)

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company culture

Jul 9, 2021 - Senior Programmer Analyst in Kamloops, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, growth, innovation, great management

Cons

Difficult to get increase in salary once it has been set

People Recruitment Advisor

HI, and thank you for leaving a 5 STAR review for BCLC! You make some fantastic points about our working culture, career opportunities, using innovative technologies and frameworks, and our great leaders to work for and with! Regarding your second point, our merit process happens at the beginning of each fiscal year, in April and May, where everyone has an opportunity to have their compensation reviewed. Merit increases are based on performance, and without knowing your particular situation, we're unable to speak to your specific details. I'd suggest you have a conversation with your leader or People & Culture Advisor about this if you haven't already!

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good benefits

Jul 23, 2021 - Senior Programmer Analyst in North Kamloops, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits were good, lots of nice people.

Cons

Despite the province getting income for various things, not always easy to get behind taking money out of Granny's pocket.

People Recruitment Advisor

Thank you for dropping a company review!! We agree - we tend to hire some of the best people out there and they are a big reason why this is such an awesome place to work. Thank you for noting about our giving back to BC! This past fiscal year prior to the pandemic, we gave back over $1.4 Billion back to the province through Education & Healthcare initiatives and more! It feels so great to be able to give back. Thanks again!

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great summer experience

Jun 15, 2021 - Summer Student in Kamloops, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, operational support and nice perks.

Cons

Not incredible pay and overwhelming bulk of training for a short summer experience.

People Recruitment Advisor

Hello! and thank you for leaving us a review!! Glad to hear the experience was great overall! We'd be interested in your student training experience as our student placements are 4 months or longer. If you're comfortable, we'd love to know what department you were working on so that we can investigate further. Please drop a quick email to recruitment@bclc.com, and thank you for sharing so that we can improve the student experience!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 120 Reviews