Avigilon Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2020

3.4
Avigilon Chairman and CEO Gregory Q. Brown
Gregory Q. Brown
Pros
  • "Great people to work with from the top down(in 15 reviews)

• "The industry and company culture is fast paced and challenges you every day(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Best place I have worked"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Tries, and succeeds most of the time, to be transparent about its goals and objectives. A lot of talented people work here. Open and accessible management. Great products in the video security space and interesting technologies, especially in AI and video analytics. Huge range of technologies to work with.

Cons

Many teams that work in silos. Professes to be Agile but sometimes struggles to succeed. Sometimes overreaches its capacity to deliver.

2. COVID-19

"Great place to learn and grow - if you are motivated"

Current Employee - Tech Support Specialist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Even after merging with MSI at the beginning of 2020, management and policies were all mostly unaffected. Still have that “local startup” feel even though we are technically a small part of MSI. We have a lot of great, talented coworker and most of our management are friendly, down-to-earth and don’t micro-manage. Beautiful office space (used to be better on the 6th floor), good amenities, and before COVID, frequent events and even sometimes free hockey tickets. Currently working from home is also pretty nice. Benefits are average for a company like this (used to be better pre-MSI) but instead have 3 weeks vacation to start instead of 2. Fitness subsidy, stock purchase plan, RRSP matching, profit sharing and yearly salary review. Starting salary was very decent given the entry-level role (just shy of $50k) and after a year it’s closer to $55k now. Which brings me to the next pro: room for growth. Required to work on most stat holidays (paid accordingly) but for me this is great. Management seem to highly value ability and motivation here. There are many younger talented agents in higher roles and few “dead weights” outside front-line agents. I think that any motivated person with good worth ethic will do well and grow quickly here.

Cons

Staff burnout and lacking better training especially with COVID. Absentee agents are not back filled by rescheduling other staff: this includes everything from vacations to stat holidays, so the workload is just shifted to the people present. Management appear unwilling to get rid of underperforming staff, which is causing a lot of morale issues. It is very frustrating having some people working hard while a few try to find every excuse to avoid doing work. Medical benefits used to be better with a $2000 spending account yearly. Furthermore costs of premiums have increased noticeably. Overall, perhaps the company doesn’t value tech support enough since they don’t directly generate revenue. It seems like a lot of these issues can be resolved with more people and resources. On the other hand, one of the most common things I hear from our customers is that Avigilon has the best tech support compared to our competitors and that’s one of the reasons for going with our products.

"Mean spirited autocracy"

2.0
    Former Employee - Product Development in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Avigilon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Clever, hard working individual contributors, great location and office spaces, up to date tools and equipment

Cons

Autocratic management, inordinate share of mean spirited, non-collaborative, unimaginative, frightened workers

4. "A great company and an enjoyable work environment."

Former Employee - Systems Assembler in Richmond, BC

I worked at Avigilon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working as a team doing fast paced assembly. Learning how various security cameras are constructed. Monthly birthday celebrations. Occasional company BBQ.

Cons

You have to enjoy repetitive and fast paced work. There are constant production targets that have to be made. The night shift at the Richmond location finishes after the last bus of the day so a car may be required.

Continue reading
  5. "Overall a nice company to be a part of."

Current Employee - Community Relations Specialist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is respectable, has a clean pantry large enough for all production workers, free coffee and utilities whenever you need it. Has ample parking area for a shift only.

Cons

Employees have to pay their share of the benefits when it is merged into a bigger company, employees do not have their representation to management when things get sour.

Continue reading

"Try To Avoid This Copany At All Cost. Work At This Company Only When You Do Not have Other Places To Turn."

1.0
    Former Employee - Assembler in Richmond, BC

I worked at Avigilon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Free Food When It is Someone's Birthday.

Cons

-Extremely Low Pay. -Work Place Cliques. -Absolutely No Career Advancement. -Absolutely No Work-Life Balance. -Team Lead Do Not Know How to Lead. -English Is Not The Official Language On The Floor.

7. "busy"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Avigilon full-time for more than a year

Pros

a lot of excited projects

Cons

a lot of process could be improved

8. "Best place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Richmond Hill, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice atmosphere to work. Friendly people.

Cons

Repetetive job. Standing long hours

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits and good salary Excellent team members Opportunities to grow within Flexible work schedules

Cons

Cant think of any right now

10. "Overall a very positive experience."

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Avigilon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance. Many great people in there. Solid benefits and decent pay. Can be a fun place to work but that can depend on the team you join. Interesting technology but your working on a old monolithic solution. New CEO has a clear vision and places an emphasis on solid engineering practices. Overall a very positive experience.

Cons

Management can be little detached. Very little direction or clarity about progressing in the company.

Found 188 reviews