Auto Trader UK Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.5
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Trevor Mather
Trevor Mather

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great working environment, excellent benefits and progression opputunities" (in 25 reviews)

• "Great people and a great culture" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not really a con, but we are a very fast-paced business & industry" (in 19 reviews)

• "Lots of pressure Work life balance was poor , emails at midnight etc" (in 9 reviews)

1. "great experience"

Pros

good benefits, nice dress code, good advancement opportunities

Cons

lack of fun activities and long hours

Advice to Management

more fun for employers

2. "Great"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good career progression would recommend

Cons

None I. Can think of very friendly

28 Feb, 2019 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review.

3. "Great experience"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In one word Auto Trader has been fantastic to work for. The interview process was quite long and I remember going through numerous stages, although this can seem a bit long-winded it is definitely worth it. You begin to understand why there are so many stages as the company really try to get to know you before making their decision.

As a graduate who had to move to Manchester temporarily for the grad academy (a 6-8 week period of training and learning about Auto Trader), the company looks after you very well and as nerve wracking as it was I was settled in in no time as all the other grads and people who worked at AT were so welcoming and kind. You really do start to feel as part of a team/family very quickly.

It is rare to find a company that lives and breathes its values, however Auto Trader is genuinely a place that advocates their values from the heart and I am grateful to be working for Auto Trader.

Cons

The grad academy did seem quite lengthy for a grad who had to commute to Manchester every Sunday night (company expenses your stay and travel), however you learn such a large amount and make connections within the company that you wouldn't have been able to make if you would have gone straight into your role.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good and genuine work.

11 Feb, 2019 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for leaving a review.

We are incredibly lucky to receive large numbers of applications for our graduate positions year on year. One of the things we want to offer all candidates is a... More

4. "Graduate Account Manager"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Auto Trader is a fantastic business to work for. As a graduate who is still learning I've never felt without support - there is such a huge sense of team here and it's been a happy and welcoming place to be and work since I started in September. Not only this but the company values are felt strongly throughout the business. The charity days we are given are brilliant and the company benefits are great. I honestly couldn't think of a better place to work! It's a business I'm very proud to be part of.

Cons

The recruitment process for the Graduate scheme was quite lengthy.

11 Feb, 2019 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

It's wonderful to hear that you've had such a positive start to your career at Auto Trader. We're incredibly proud of our employees and the... More

5. "Graduate Account Manager"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training I have received has been second to none. You are constantly learning from experienced trainers, management, as well as your colleagues around you. Nothing is too much trouble and everyone will go out of their way to help you if they can. The company culture is like nothing I have ever experienced, Auto Trader really do look after their staff. From social events to fruit in the office to regular catch ups with management, they really do put the effort in and appreciate any feedback you can give.

Cons

Auto Trader is a company that constantly evolves and adapts itself to keep up with the market. It is not set in stone exactly what is happening next as the company is constantly developing so you need to adjust to the fact that things change constantly. This is definitely not a negative but does take some getting used to!

11 Feb, 2019 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for your review.

We're really pleased to hear that you've had such a positive start to your career at Auto Trader. You're right, we move at pace and constantly evolve. We're delighted... More

"A damaging company with complete lack of support and transparency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free fruit in the kitchens and coffee each day can't make up for the unrewarding work environment, poor salary and bad management, sorry

Cons

-Promised progression in interview however quickly realised that there was absolutely no progression in my role and we weren't supported by management when asked about moving departments, I was actually discouraged and told there wasn't anywhere I could move
    -Shot down for trying to implement new ideas, if you question ways of working and speak your mind, you will have a mark against your name
    -Very much a clique-y company and office
    -Favouritism rules and they will do anything they can to drive people out that take a dislike to
    -Absolutely no loyalty to staff, doesn't matter how long you've worked there or how well you think you're doing, you can be out like a drop of a hat, the staff turnover is incredibly high and i was told this is 'nature of the business' so don't ever think your role is safe, because it isn't
    -We were made to attend regular business updates where we were constantly told how much profit the company was making but if your team fight for a just payrise, you won't get it, no matter how much you deserve it
    -The company take great pride in trying to tell everyone how much they care about mental health, however the reality is they don't care about you and treatment varies greatly depending on who your manager is. I got given multiple formal warnings from management when I was signed off for a short amount of time for mental health issues, which in turn, caused huge additional stress, instead of supporting me. They took great pride in trying to tick all the boxes on paper of what they had done to support (one of which is 'providing fruit in the office'- as this cures depression, which is clearly more important than actually giving the person in need actual real support and job reassurance)
    -When you first join, the office seems very cool, you think that novelty perks are the best thing ever- I did when I joined- but shortly after you start to see the fake facade unravel very quickly- there are a lot of unhappy staff here

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better, respect and support your employees, reward their hard work, don't lie to staff. My time at this company has had a lasting negative impact and I am glad to say I've moved onto bigger and better things , where I am encouraged to grow and be a valued member of the company.

21 Feb, 2019 – Resourcing Partner

We’re sorry you felt your experience at Auto Trader wasn’t a positive one.

We are keen to address your points of concern and hope that our response provides you with some understanding of how we... More

"Forward thinking company focused on revenue"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Wimbledon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Wimbledon, England (UK)

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good staff selection process means a like-minded and target driven team

Cons

Always chasing a relentless target. Use market position to bully customers - some advertisers are onboard because they have to be, not because they want to be.

19 Feb, 2019 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

We're proud of the relationships we have with our customers, and we disagree with your comments regarding our market position. We removed... More

"A genuinely outstanding place to work"

Current Employee - I Work As A Developer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - I Work As A Developer in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast pace of change means we can continue to be one of the most cutting edge and admired businesses in the UK.

By and large great people who all do what they do very well and have big appetites to learn and grow themselves and the business

Amazing culture to be part of.

Genuine and friendly colleagues. Always someone willing the help.

Cons

Couple of people on my squad I find a bit rude and abrasive, not really sure they embody the values most of us really subscribe to. However it's a minority. You always get at least one.

Advice to Management

The employee engagement survey holds a lot of clues to how the company can still improve it. The scores were largely good but please use it to improve AT next year.

7 Dec, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

Hearing you describe Auto Trader as a 'genuinely outstanding place to work' makes us feel incredibly proud. It sounds like you're really enjoying... More

9. "Graduate Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience with the graduate scheme so far is genuinely astounding. Auto Trader is shaping up to be the place that I'd always hoped I would work after I left University.

The emphasis on culture and values during the hiring was clear from the first day, everyone that I've met is friendly and approachable, including the Operational Leadership Team and the CEO.

The academy has been fantastic, as a developer I was unsure whether I would find it useful, but I've made some great friends and have a much deeper appreciation for the wider business than I otherwise would have.

Plus, free coffee, fruit and sweets!

Cons

Nothing negative to say so far!

13 Nov, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

We're really pleased to hear that you've had such a positive experience so far. It sounds like you're enjoying the mixture of time with your team... More

10. "Graduate Account Builder"

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The graduate programme for any job role is a fab opportunity to learn and progress in a company that really values you as an individual! All the employees who work for the company are really eager to enhance your learning and progress. The graduate programme is a great way to gain an understanding of Auto Trader as a company, how the company works and how the business is structured. The academy gives you the education you need to be ready for your role, even if you have minimum experience.
    The company incorporates diversity and inclusion into every element of the business. The company values are a massive part of Auto Trader and if you believe you as an individual align to these values you are looking in the right place. Auto Trader as a company really invests its time and resources into you as a graduate and for someone coming into a graduate role I could not recommend it high enough!

Cons

If you do not like change and working at a fast pace, this may not be the company for you. However, this is not a 'con' as once you embrace it, you will love it!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your graduates! The academy is excellent and the individuals that have supported us within academy have been amazing!

13 Nov, 2018 – Resourcing Partner

The Academy was designed to help graduates truly understand our customers, products and overall business before starting in the role. It's fantastic to hear you speak about it so positively; it... More