Auto Trader UK Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2020

4.6
Auto Trader UK Chief Executive Officer Nathan Coe
Nathan Coe
Pros
  • "Great working environment, all the tools needed to succeed(in 33 reviews)

• "The above together with the great offices and lots of great people make AT the best company I’ve worked for(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is rather fast paced(in 26 reviews)

• "The location (central Manchester) wasn't right for me, but of course that will not be a problem for everyone(in 13 reviews)

1. "great experience"

4.0

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Auto Trader UK

Pros

good benefits, nice dress code, good advancement opportunities

Cons

lack of fun activities and long hours

2. COVID-19

"Always striving for a more diverse and inclusive culture"

Current Employee - PR Manager in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

Auto Trader already has established networks within the company to represent and act as safe spaces for people spanning BAME, LGBTQ+, mental wellbeing, neurodiversity and environment. You're encouraged to get actively involved in any (or all) of the networks you are interested in, and the business seems committed to learning and improving its own practices to ensure a multicultural and diverse working force/ work culture. Many brands, especially in this current climate, are coming out to say they support diversity, however many fail in backing this up with action. I genuinely feel AT walks the walk as well as talks the talk. It is a genuine ally in D&I matters and has so many actions in place to deliver against this. Whilst the company is large with 100s of people, you don't feel like another cog in the machine. Its set up includes 'tribes' and 'squads' which splits the workforce into different, smaller working groups and allows for more individual development, whether career or personal-related. Auto Trader has really looked after its people during the COVID-19 outbreak. The offices in Manchester (HQ) and London are amazing! I'm looking forward to returning to them once lockdown restrictions further ease. The layout and interior design is very 'cool tech company' and designed to inspire creativity.

Cons

Very fast-paced but I find this exciting!

July 8, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Our employee networks have been working tirelessly for the past six years, it is definitely not new to us, to create an inclusive culture so I am really pleased that your experience meets our aspirations. Recent events have made us reflect on our progress and we acknowledge that we need to do more. During this challenging time our work community has come together and our people have supported each other in truly heart warming ways. Communication when we are not in our offices can be tricky but like you say we need to work on it and improve it.

3. COVID-19

"Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK part-time for less than a year

Pros

• impressive leadership team • culture is genuine (it’s hard to describe how good it is) • way of thinking and decision making is very effective • delivery function is not found in many businesses and performs a very useful function • willingness to listen and adapt in light of evidence is very good, and led by the CEO

Cons

• Can sometimes move quite slowly

June 17, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you so much for your review. It can be hard to describe our culture but you did a good job highlighting some of the elements that make it brilliant. Our delivery function adds so much value to our business and we are lucky to have such a dedicated team. The current situation has challenged us all in different ways but it brought our work community even closer and the support colleagues give to each other is truly heart warming.

4. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - People and Culture in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having worked at Auto Trader for almost 5 years now and having had a number of roles, I can honestly say that Auto Trader recognises the personal and professional development of their staff and provides all the possible tools to support you. With Diversity and Inclusion being at the heart of the business, it's refreshing to know that i can be my whole, true self at work. Auto Trader recognises everyone's differences and celebrates them all. I can't imagine working anywhere better

Cons

Although i like the fast pace environment and i like change, not everyone might.

June 11, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you have been enjoying working with us for five years, you are able to be your true self and develop professionally. Fast paced and ever evolving are definitely characteristics that keep our business successful. But, we always try to find time to relax as well.

5. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very inclusive and care about their employees

Cons

There is none, I love it

June 10, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We have created an inclusive culture and work hard to nurture it. During this challenging time our colleagues have come together and strengthened our caring work community. Good to hear you are loving working with us!

6. "Incredible company"

Current Employee - Graduate

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Incredibly inclusive working conditions and accessible for all including those with disabilities and neurodiverse conditions - Flexible working environment, understanding of any personal issues - Flat hierarchy structure and hot desking system which creates a casual environment - Loads of benefits - Always open to criticism and continuing to change when necessary - Working groups and networks for people to fundraise for causes they care about - Offices in both Manchester and London meaning that there are often opportunities to travel between the two (could be a con for some people but I enjoy it)

Cons

- Can't think of any to report on!

June 2, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about working with us. We have partnered with various charities and our colleagues from our Disability & Neurodiversity Network are constantly working to maintain an inclusive working environment. But our job is not done and as you say we are open to more ideas, criticism and we will continue to change.

7. "A great supportive culture, in a dynamic and fast-paced company"

Current Employee - Communications Director in London, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a highly dynamic and collaborative company that fosters true autonomy and responsibility. It acknowledges your skill sets and allows you to develop in a plethora of ways.

Cons

It's extremely fast paced and decisions change constantly, which can be hard for some to manage. But it does mean things get done and the business is constantly moving forwards.

April 22, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. We have brilliant people in our teams and trusting them with autonomy and responsibility comes easy. Moving fast and not being afraid to pivot has been key to our success and allows us to keep moving. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time working with us.

8. COVID-19

"Great company with a truly collaborative culture"

Current Employee - Resourcing Partner in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great, and not just within the immediate team you work in. Everyone I've spoken to have been very warm, approachable and supportive. The onboarding process is very slick so you're pretty much set up and good to go on your first day. The work is interesting and varied plus you get a true feeling that everyone here is very values driven. It's more than just words here. The biggest thing I would say is you quickly get a sense of how important collaboration is and how much AT prides itself on building such a fantastic culture where people can truly thrive. It's our biggest strength by far and what has really struck me is how this momentum has been continuing over the past few weeks given the corona virus outbreak. I've seen us adapt with relative ease to our new situation and our sense of community has been stronger than ever - whether it's constant comms from our senior leadership offering flexibility and understanding, or the multiple slack channels about what we had for breakfast, pictures with kids or daily workout routines. What should be an extremely tough time for us has been made easier by reassurance from the top along with a real community spirit across everyone here.

Cons

Things can change here quickly - which is good because it keeps things varied and fresh but if you like absolute structure and predictability then it is likely that it'll take you time to adapt. For me personally I found it took me longer than I would have liked to get my head around the structure here (who works where, how teams are set up, who leads who etc) which I did find frustrating initially because I like to know everything (!) but during my 4th month here things started to click and it makes a lot more sense now. Word of advice, just ask people about themselves and what they do and it'll start filling in the gaps. As mentioned right at the top, everyone here is very warm and approachable!

April 22, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review and good to hear you had such a welcoming and smooth onboarding experience when you joined us. Sometimes our flexible structure and collaborative approach can be be challenging to navigate through but our people are always happy to help. During the current crisis it is really heart warming to see how our work community has come together to support each other as well as our customers.

9. "Fabulous"

Current Employee - Resourcing Advisor in Manchester, England

I have been working at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

- People - a bunch of amazingly talented people who look after each other - Culture - a culture of learning, community, wellbeing, and belonging - Values - are lived and breathed by everyone - Management - truly care for colleagues, our customers and our community - Hierarchy - or lack thereof. Everyone is approachable for a chat including senior leaders - Development - a clear and individual development path, and support from your manager to get there - Tech - super efficient technology that allows you to do your job better - Office - really cool offices :)

Cons

It can be very fast paced at Auto Trader and things can change pretty quickly, but it's exciting and you will soon get used to it and see this as a pro.

March 28, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review and great to hear that you are enjoying your first year working with us. Your list of "Pros" is a brilliant summary of what makes our business so special. Fast paced can be exciting but we always try to find time to relax as well.

"This is NOT a consultative sales role, it's a customer service role in a call centre environment."

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Auto Trader UK full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice offices / friendly people

Cons

Sold into a AM role that was shocking. The team were trained on how to manage getting abuse thrown at them day in day out. In the time I was there I witnessed 6 people cry due to the horrible abuse they endured from the dealers. This job isn't for the faint hearted. The environment is more like a call centre, and the role is not a 'consultative' sales role. Don't be sold into the 'Digital Transformation' job spec, you spend your time on the inbound line picking up admin tasks for angry dealers. You also have talk time and inbound KPI's to hit (call centre style). The accounts are only tied into a 30 day contract which means that the customers are highly volatile and majority of your time will be spent fire fighting and trying to retain accounts rather than growing them. I was given an account base where over 70% of the customers wanted to cancel due to poor performance and cost and they had no contact for the past year or so. Alot of the time they refused to speak with me due to the frustration they felt that no one had been in contact and the lack of ROI they were getting from the platform. The targets you have to meet and the customer base you're given don't go hand in hand. If you're ready to spend your next career move educating the customers on what's defined as abuse and overstepping the mark this is the role for you. The fact that they have been neglected for so long does not make the sittuation any easier when they are spending alot of money for not alot of return. Half the team work super hard and the other half take it easy. Some have been there for a long time so they are treated differently by management (even if they aren't performing well). This makes some of the team members highly frustrated which causes tension. There is a high churn rate in the sales team which isn't great for moral, majority of these new members are individuals who've been miss sold the role and and up leaving within a couple of months. It also looked like alot of the long serving members of staff were promised promotions but management just wouldn't follow through - false promises and a lack of career progression hence why I got out as soon as I could.

May 18, 2020Head of People and Culture

Thank you for your review. Good to hear you enjoyed working in our offices with friendly colleagues. I am sorry that you feel your overall experience wasn't up to the standard that we aspire to. Will try to address the points you have raised but if you like to discuss anything further email me at recruitment@autotrader.co.uk. Account Managers form strong relationships with customers and aim to build sustainable partnerships with them. Colleague well-being is always our key priority and we don't expect anybody to accept any form of abuse. At times they have to deal with customers who are irate and we provide them with support from their people leaders, colleagues and coaches. As the current crisis has evidenced Auto Trader is here to support the automotive industry and retain customer partnerships as opposed to having short term targets. Regarding high churn and new recruits leaving within months; that is not the case at all as we have a considerably high retention rate across all our teams including our Account Managers who enjoy long careers and progress in different roles not only in sales but across other departments. Our recruitment process is carefully designed to give you a realistic job preview so you can make an informed choice about joining us. You will remember that you did a role play as part of the assessment where you had to deal with a challenging customer as well as speaking to a current Account Manager who gave you a view of their day to day life at work. Also none of our HR team gets commission for any placements, their key objective is to provide good candidate experience and help choose the best people to join our business. I have shared your advice with them and we have explored it together in detail so thanks again for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

Found 289 reviews