Athena Software Reviews

Updated Mar 29, 2020

4.6
  1. "Best Company to work for in Waterloo"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything. The technologies, the office, the location, the coffee & ESPECIALLY the people you work with. I haven't felt this comfortable with the people I worked with - like ever. This place feels like home & I swear to god, I sometimes can't wait until I wake up and go to work. There is no micro-management where someone is constantly looking over your shoulder, the work-life balance is exactly the way it should be, you get breaks from your work, your development leads are literally people you can talk to and not people to be afraid of like with other companies managers.

Cons

Location is a little small - kind of a small housing unit, but that's what makes everyone so close to each other. Can't think of anything else.

Continue reading
  2. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really wonderful culture - they make their employees feel heard and valued. It's great to work for a company that truly makes the customer their focus and is working hard to improve their day to day lives.

Cons

With lots of growth in the company and lots of ambitious goals for the next few years, there have been some growing pains, but they are aware of these issues and are working hard to improve.

3. "A nice company with growing pains"

4.0
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Athena Software has a pretty great culture, it's a very friendly and accepting place with people who want to do good in the world. It's nice to work in a place where people are genuinely concerned with helping people through the work they do. Athena has a great location in Uptown Waterloo. It's close to everything and easy to get to on transit. There are some incredible people who work at Athena Software, they are the driving force behind the operation, are always willing to help out and are good at what they do. They also want to help you do your best work. As a nice bonus, Athena provides lunch once a week.

Cons

Athena wants to be a leader in their field but seem too tentative try things that aren't being done by competitors or other companies locally. They're also experiencing some growing pains. With new processes being implemented there's an increase in bureaucracy and politics which sometimes seem to interfere with the focus of the organization. Currently driving the organization is quite a conservative and rigid CEO. If your views don't match his on an issue, there is no room for discussion.

Continue reading
  4. "New to company already feeling the family vibe"

I have been working at Athena Software full-time

Pros

I've come to Athena from the public sector and even while the company is going through a growth spurt with new people joining weekly I can definitely sense the camaraderie here. The work is plentiful, the teams work hard but it's fun, fast paced and just generally a good place to be.

Cons

There are some growing pains as people are brought in and learning the ropes, but that can't be avoided.

5. "Looking for a Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing to see a multicultural work force with equal opportunity promote from within and encourage personal growth with a focus on client centric growth.

Cons

Every company growing at this rate will discover challenges on how to make something better. The team assembled makes it possible to expand beyond the current horizon.

6. "Current Employee"

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Athena is very inclusive with great people on board. The company cares very much about the product and happiness of the customers, as well as us employees. Benefits are on par for a company this size. The environment is positive and friendly. Stock options were recently brought in too which is great. The workload is manageable in my opinion and the work life balance and support from management has always been exceptional.

Cons

Parking is at times difficult. Open concept is sometimes difficult for concentration but it is also promotes conversation and more team building.

7. "Great culture backing an excellent opportunity"

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people make Athena great. I really enjoy working with all departments and look forward to coming in every day. There is also a lot of cool foundational work that is going on. Which allows me to work with new things and to become an expert to the company. I feel free to chase things that I feel are important to our success.

Cons

There is a surge in growth and Athena is ambitious. It means there can be a lot of change in a short period of time when it comes to workflow.

Continue reading
  8. "Long Term Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The culture here is what makes Athena a fulfilling place to work. Culture has become such a cliché word when describing a workplace, but in Athena's case I think it speaks to the reason for our existence. We create technology which helps social & human service organizations do more with less and it's fulfilling to play a role supporting the work our social service partners do. The team that exists at Athena is simply a great group of human beings. We work extremely hard, but there is a level of understanding that our careers are a large part of our life, but not the entirety.

Cons

To be honest I can't think of too many cons. Our office isn't the most glamorous, but we're making small improvements every year. Maybe the coffee could be slightly improved....maybe.

9. "Amazing culture!"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Athena has an amazing company culture. Best described as a 'community' where people genuinely care about each other and the work they do. Everyone is very smart, highly motivated and shares common company values. The company focuses on making a difference in the lives of their customers, their clients and people around the world. It shows in everything they do. If you're looking for a place where you feel like you fit, where you know your work is making a difference, and where you have opportunities to grow, this is it!

Cons

As with every growing company there are growing pains as everyone adjusts to new roles, people and processes. The leadership has shown a desire to support the transitions for and invest in their staff to help with these growing pains.

Continue reading
  10. "Wonderful place to work"

4.0

I have been working at Athena Software full-time

Pros

- A lot of opportunity to learn and grow - Leadership recognizes areas of improvement/growth and provides support where it is needed - Your work truly makes a difference in the world - Culture is great! - Leadership invests in the employees

Cons

- Some roles don't have the best work/life balance - Company is going through a growth stage - this isn't for everyone - Company is founded by family members, this can create some unique situations

Found 25 reviews