Athena Software Reviews

Updated Jan 26, 2021

4.2
  1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture and excellent engagement in work

Cons

Aging platform, work life balance is a struggle

2. COVID-19

"Why I'm Here"

Current Employee - Software

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company's product does a great deal of good in the world and for communities at risk. That's really the biggest thing. Contributing to this is the best reward. They've also done a terrific job in supporting the transition to a work from home arrangement due to COVID. The flexibility, support, and open communication has made a difficult situation just that much more comfortable.

Cons

This is definitely a company in its adolescence. If you're not equipped to deal with the expected frustrations that come with scaling, then it may feel like diving into frigid water. It's easy to lose sight of the progress that has already been made when there's so much more to come. A lot of people take the catered lunch too seriously.

"Yup, just like a family"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager

I worked at Athena Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I interviewed at Athena, I was very impressed with the atmosphere that was presented; a family-run business with growth potential and an overall mission of supplying a time-tested case management platform for the betterment of service to marginalised people. I was excited to come to the company and felt right at home as soon as I walked through the door. Much like my own family, this company has problem siblings, but no one seems to feel the need to address their bad behaviour. The company provides a catered lunch on Thursdays, and this is great. Input is sought and meals are provided with all dietary needs accommodated. To further bring that family vibe to it, this is accompanied by a constant reminder of how expensive the catered lunches are and how staff don't seem to appreciate it.

Cons

Enjoy a good challenge? This is the place for you. If your first few weeks are anything like mine, you'll experience: Wide open spaces with people yelling on conference calls while simultaneously shushing you for talking anywhere near them Public criticism of peers, the likes of which would make even Gordon Ramsay uncomfortable Teams refusing to take responsibility and instead pointing fingers at other teams. Since the finger-pointing includes swearing and yelling, it must be true, right? Senior management which deflects from its own ineptitude by providing harsh criticism of everyone not in the room at the time Senior management which seems incapable of providing clear or consistent direction but validates its existence by indicating how awful you and your management team are for having followed its previous direction.

4. "great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Athena Software full-time

Pros

collaborative and supportive team environment

Cons

Managing growth and accountability within staff

5. "Awesome place to work."

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Athena Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Athena has a great "mission" it strives for in the world -Great work environment, the people are awesome to be around. -Flexibility with schedule.

Cons

-A few expansion pains to figure out in the growing industry. -Lots of meetings

"Just a job, try to ignore the drama"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Athena Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Most employees and some managers are totally awesome people that just want to do good for the world - weekly lunches are fun, company is getting the hang of employee events - company espouses social values

Cons

- Very different employee experience depending on what teams you get to work with. - Account list does not reflect company values. Employees get no say on what kind of clients they serve. - sometimes underpays so badly that the disparity is very obvious and awkward - masking high turnover/poor retention by saying the company is "scaling" - Seems almost impossible to get training or credentials for career advancement. no standard training budget, opaque financials. - "my way or the highway" attitude from some upper management. Very dramatic people. - Some middle management are "yes men" that don't like to advocate for themselves or their team - Big workload, not enough training time, very few perks

"good"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Athena Software part-time

Pros

very good environment, very friendly

Cons

nothing much to tell actualy

"Old boys club"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Athena Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

lunches once a week was a nice perk

Cons

Very disappointing executive team and leadership across the company. The company operates like an "old boys club" and is not progressive. Benefit, salary, and vacation time are below average. If you are applying for a role, look to speak to others who have worked there are left, they can provide you with more insights.

Continue reading

"Best Company to work for in Waterloo"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything. The technologies, the office, the location, the coffee & ESPECIALLY the people you work with. I haven't felt this comfortable with the people I worked with - like ever. This place feels like home & I swear to god, I sometimes can't wait until I wake up and go to work. There is no micro-management where someone is constantly looking over your shoulder, the work-life balance is exactly the way it should be, you get breaks from your work, your development leads are literally people you can talk to and not people to be afraid of like with other companies managers.

Cons

Location is a little small - kind of a small housing unit, but that's what makes everyone so close to each other. Can't think of anything else.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Athena Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really wonderful culture - they make their employees feel heard and valued. It's great to work for a company that truly makes the customer their focus and is working hard to improve their day to day lives.

Cons

With lots of growth in the company and lots of ambitious goals for the next few years, there have been some growing pains, but they are aware of these issues and are working hard to improve.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 English Reviews