Asurion Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2020

3.8
Asurion CEO Tony Detter
Tony Detter
  1. "Really enjoyed it, but as with any company, could be better"

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Asurion for less than a year

Pros

- Culture! They have a great company culture that encourages collaboration and team work! - They offer a lot of opportunities to explore - Great location - Allow for a flexible schedule - fast changing environment

Cons

- Sometimes require long hour shifts - Some teams hold a grudge or at least are very good a remembering the times something goes wrong with you team. - Pay (kinda) - Hard to move up without leaving and coming back (or so I've heard) - fast changing environment

2. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III

I have been working at Asurion full-time

Pros

great place to work and lots to learn

Cons

not many that I can think of. competitive environment and you should be in on your toes to grab oppertunities

"Excellent pay and benefits if you can weather the office politics"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Asurion full-time

Pros

* Asurion has a above-average work-life balance as long as you set clear boundaries. * Salary and benefits are competitive * The latest technologies are used and teams are encouraged to experiment * The work is fulfilling * Management does not put unrealistic expectations on product * Various internal programs to advance your career and competencies, including regular continuing education sessions, guilds, and working groups. * Extremely diverse company

Cons

* Developers are promoted via a quarterly nomination and voting process held amongst senior developers and above. As a result... * Office politics are brutal. No one here is your friend, and it's often cutthroat. * Senior level developer and above is effectively an old-boys club (albeit more diverse than that). Career progression does not depend on competency, work ethic, or other reasonable metrics, but rather solely on playing the office politics game - and winning votes. * Developers often switch teams and/or managers (I have had four different managers in my short time here). * Management is fairly disorganized. There are often two teams working on identical projects. Once this is realized, the office politics begin again. * merit-based raises are practically non-existent other than an annual COL adjustment.

July 27, 2020Digital Marketing Coordinator

Thanks for your honest feedback about your current position with Asurion. We have captured this feedback and plan to send it to the appropriate teams for discussion.

4. COVID-19

"Good culture, some interesting projects, poor direction"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Asurion full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have handled covid-19 well. Friendly culture. Have some interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Onboarding onto a new team can be rough, I received very little guidance. Also the standards for when you are eligible or moving towards a promotion can be murky. Sometimes no clear, concrete goals are given to work towards depending on your manager. Also negotiate harder for pay if applying here, I negotiated timidly. At my annual review my manager told me I was underpaid and would work to remedy it. My pay has still not been adjusted. Some work expected to be done outside of the team you are on, but not always clear how to seek it out and how much it factors into your career progress. It's easy to slip into poor work/life balance depending on your team. I see team members working pretty long hours consistently. This leads to feeling like you have to try and keep up which is tiring. I feel like I take less time off with Unlimited PTO because there is pressure to keep up with things and keep moving things forward.

Continue reading
  5. "Employee oriented company"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer

I worked at Asurion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good product, employee oriented, and good team

Cons

Not many customers, no long term vision

July 1, 2020Digital Marketing Coordinator

Thanks for your great review!

6. "Relaxed company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tokyo

I have been working at Asurion full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed working environment, great people, good compensation

Cons

Little challenging work, cramped office

7. "Managers are spread too thin for success"

I have been working at Asurion full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Challenging work that allows you to work on the cutting edge of technology

Cons

Senior managers and directors are too busy and distant to provide direction. It is hard to get training prioritized and taken seriously without putting in personal time away from your family. We are told our training and learning has to be on our own time.

8. "Decent culture"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Asurion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent culture, somewhat laid back.

Cons

Unorganized and sometimes difficult to grow

March 23, 2020Digital Marketing Coordinator

Thanks for your review! We aim to maintain a collaborative and forward-thinking atmosphere. Your feedback helps us get better and at Asurion we are always working to improve.

"Good Company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Asurion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, WLB, Good teammates, capable engineering teams

Cons

No vision from the higher management, more folks in the product org than required

"Anti-Christian HR"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Nashville, TN

I worked at Asurion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and work/life balance. Very talented colleagues. Opportunities to travel for conferences. Training and education assistance.

Cons

Management and product teams are never addressed for failures.

December 12, 2019

Thank you for reaching out. We’re sorry to hear about your experience. We value team success and create a rewarding and collaborative work environment for our employees. We’ve alerted our leadership to your feedback.

Found 60 reviews