Aspen Dental Employee Reviews about "dentist"

Updated Jan 13, 2021

Found 95 of over 1k reviews

3.2
Aspen Dental President Bob Fontana
Bob Fontana
Pros
  • "Training opportunities for new doctors(in 76 reviews)

• "Dentist compensation is based off of patient satisfaction(in 37 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Can be long hours depending on the situation from day to day(in 99 reviews)

• "Work life balance can be tricky(in 66 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "dentist"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Aspen Dental is a Wonderful work enviornment

Dec 4, 2020 - Registered Dental Hygienist in Trinity, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started working for Aspen Dental almost 15 years ago as a dental hygienist. It ended up being one of the best decisions I've ever made from a professional/career standpoint. Aspen has given me the chance to grow from a new graduate into a seasoned hygienist that still to this day, loves what I do. Aspens benefits are great, and they continuously show their health care providers respect and appreciation after working so hard delivering patient care. The company is loyal to their employees and are flexible with needed vacation days- which I know is important to most! They also have a management team that are always there to help with communication purposes. Aspen gives dentists the opportunity to own and partner with APEO. This allows for a personal touch to their practice and for employees! This allows the management team to focus on the business piece of marketing and hiring, which in turn, allows the dental and clinical team to maximize their time with clinical care. I want to reiterate that choosing Aspen Dental as a career choice was one of the best decisions I personally have ever made. I have a ton of colleagues that I've worked with over the years with Aspen, and they feel the same way as well. I hope this review reaches many dentist/hygienists that want positive reinforcement reiterating Aspen as a wonderful company to inquire about. Bob Fontana, CEO, and his leadership/management/and team of Doctors, have created an amazing organization for dental professionals.

Cons

There isn't much negativity to say honestly . Overall, there are way more positives than any normal negative topic that may arise.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee

It's an ok Place

Jan 13, 2021 - Dental Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Salary in Connecticut. not sure in other states

Cons

work environment really depends on the dentist assign.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good job for Full Time Employment with lots of company benefits.

Jun 24, 2020 - Registered Dental Hygienist in Watertown, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Always busy, Periodontal Treatment focused, most Dental work done in house, ability to move up in the company, bonuses given, can schedule patients as you see fit (within reason), able to practice Dental Hygiene to the maximum of our Licensure.

Cons

Base pay was lean, many changing employees and Dentists, I felt bullied by some of the employees and nothing was done about it even after saying so.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

This is a place to make a career

Oct 21, 2019 - General Dentist in Port St Lucie, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked here for 6 years. The first year of being a dentist is hard anywhere, but there is so much support and mentorship nowadays, especially for new dentists. I plan to make my whole career as a dentist with Aspen Dental. I hire my own staff, order whichever materials I want, treatment plan and treat patients the way I see fit, and do CE with Aspen and external to it. I also equip my offices with CT machines and iTero scanners to make sure I have top notch technology. There is no one ever telling me how to practice, but if I need it, there are so many people I can reach out to for assistance. I have a great network of colleagues I trust not only for advice, but to treat my own mouth or that of my family's.

Cons

We meet a lot of patients every day, so if you aren't a decisive treatment planner this can be a challenge, but there are mentor doctors willing to help you improve your skills (if you are open to feedback). Every day of work is busy for me, but I do have full input on how I schedule, so if it is a tough day I really did it to myself.

1 person found this review helpful

Sue Decker - Chief Human Resources Officer

Hey - your Blue is showing and we appreciate you!

5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Beware New Grads.

Jul 21, 2020 - General Dentist
      Business Outlook

Pros

The only pro I could think about is that if you are desperate for a Job and need a position, they will hire you regardless of what you say or do at interview. Aspen has such a high rate of turn over. Within the year I started, my owner shuffeled doctors through his multiple practices because people quit quite often.

Cons

Pay seems great in theory when you are presented with a job but in reality aspens way of pay is so complicated that you are promised money that you never end up seeing. I never saw the bonus I was offered at the interview because of some new reason always. There is alot of unethical dentistry happening and I left because I could never agree to put my license on line for a few corporate numbers. Most of the time, I ended up fixing previous dentists work because so many people left that all the treatment plans are half done only. Management was of not much help. If you speak ill of the companyn or it’s ways, you become the bad guy instead of taking initiative to fix things. Work hours were also draining. 10hrs a day 5 days and also 2 saturdays a month and also some meetings after work hours. All the offices are very heavily based on new patients so you are forced to see a full extra column of new patients all day and their new patient exams are free. So you are basically seeing people for nothing much in return. You’ll also see that the office dental assistants or managers are always the older employees but there is always a new dentist in house so the assistants and manners basically rule the office instead of you deciding how to do your dentistry. They know that you’ll quit and there will be a new doc anyways. Very dangerous environment to put your license to put through, that you work so hard to get.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic work environment and predatory practices.

Aug 17, 2020 - Dental Hygienist RDH in Sanford, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Every now and then you will have an awesome coworker (but that won’t last bc no one good stays long)...

Cons

Abuse of power, inept dentists, corrupt management, being pushed/pressured to burnout, nepotism, no help from HR, toxic work environment, etc; being paid based on “production” leads to predatory and unethical practices, etc

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fast moving company that puts patients first no matter what you read

Feb 3, 2020 - Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dentist compensation is based off of patient satisfaction. In other words, if patients aren't happy, dentists lose money. Patients first - always. The network opens practices in rural areas (Smalltown USA) where patients need the most help. Aspen Dental has donated tens of millions of dollars in free care to veterans and through outreach mission trips.

Cons

Aggressive growth sometimes means aggressive goals, but we have the resources to accomplish what we need to do

Sue Decker - Chief Human Resources Officer

Hey - your Blue is showing and we appreciate you!

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Office managers are undervalued and rarely promoted.

Jun 15, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

You’re able to engage your team. Goals can be obtainable with the proper influence

Cons

Working with demanding/ demeaning dentist No voice to regional managers Inadequate support from regional managers Goal expectation without proper training

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Corporate Greed

Jul 12, 2020 - PSR in Augusta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The dentist and staff was great.

Cons

As with most corporations they cut corners, way too many job responsibilities for the amount you are paid.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee

BEWARE - OMs are viewed as disposable

Mar 13, 2020 - Office Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free dental care, financial incentives.

Cons

Current OMs and those considering an OM position - you are viewed as disposable by the RMs, despite appearances. I was privy to conversations with more than one regional manager at different times both discussing an OM "might not being the right fit" for an office OMs' numbers being down - some of which was beyond their control, such as under performing dentists or understaffed offices. It is a cut throat mentality in regards to the OMs. When training, despite smiling faces and pleasantries, no one is your friend - including your peers training you. Every move your make is being tallied and counted behind the scenes. Be very weary of giving up a job to come here if you are financially dependent upon your paycheck. I read the reviews here at Glassdoor and knew it was a risk, but decided to a chance. I was in the position to save everything I made so I am no worse off. I don't know the exact % that hire in from outside to an OM position and make it through training to getting an office, but its got to be very low. I never met a single one, though I was aware of at least 3 who didn't make it thru. Most OMs are DAs or PSRs who were promoted from within the company. And just FYI... pay attention to all of these positive reviews that have shown up recently. All from corporate employees.

6 people found this review helpful

Sue Decker - Chief Human Resources Officer

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback and we'd like to find out more from you. If you're comfortable, please reach out to HRSupport@aspendental.com to discuss this further.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 95 Reviews