Asana Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Mar 31, 2020

4.8
Asana Co-Founder Dustin Moskovitz
Dustin Moskovitz
Pros
  • "Wellness and work-life balance is promoted(in 27 reviews)

• "Extremely mindful culture focused on doing things right(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical growing pains of a rapidly scaling company(in 7 reviews)

• "Thoughtfulness can breed slow decision making at times, you need to have strong conviction in order to weather the storm at times(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Great culture & mission"

Current Employee - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Thoughtful, talented colleagues who care about the work! - Mission-driven company, in a position to really make a difference - Great product that is fully utilized by the employees - Culture of mindfulness

Cons

Rapid scaling, with some growing pains

"Impact, responsibility, and really exciting work"

Current Employee - Head of Security in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The Area of Responsibility system is excellently designed and - The Security team is highly respected and influential and often consulted - Plenty of budget for what Security needs while not being silly about spending - Extremely mindful culture focused on doing things right

Cons

- Slightly more formal than other places in terms of workplace interactions - Lots of focus on writing well and adding nuance (which is often a good thing) - Typical growing pains of a rapidly scaling company

Asana Response

December 27, 2019Talent team

Thank you for sharing your experience on our Security team! So pleased that you are having a positive experience, and looking forward to seeing all that the team will accomplish in 2020!

"Best job I'll ever have"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging problems to solve, emphasis on learning, culture that encourages work life balance, incredible amounts of autonomy for individual contributors, managers that serve as mentors and advocates, respectful and intentional community

Cons

Location is not the nicest part of the Mission, I anticipate growing pains as we continue to get bigger (not the worst problem to have...)

"Asana is growing! Come along for the ride!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Asana legitimately care about its employees. Everyone from the top down listens to feedback and then biases for action on implementing the feedback. After 2 years, I've grown more at Asana than I could have ever imagined at any other company. Contributions and impact go way beyond formal experience or title here at Asana. I think the environment and growth also allows there to be a lot of opportunities to contribute and add value. It feels like an honor to work with my manager who is truly in a special category of leaders I've seen and worked with. Asana has a product that customers genuinely love. It's weird to have people feel so passionately about enterprise or work software.

Cons

I think there can be more urgency across the organization to grow more aggressively. Growing pains with processes particularly with cross-functional collaboration but that's normal for a company at this stage. No formal titles internally makes career growth feel super weird and nebulous if that's the way you think about career growth.

Continue reading

"A sincere focus on culture and trust"

I worked at Asana full-time

Pros

Asana actually cares about their employees. For example, you have a mentor from day one. Most managers are excellent, and processes are built in to discourage politics. There is a high amount of trust and autonomy.

Cons

They are having some size-based growing pains. Processes and rules-of-thumb that worked with 50 people are starting to fall apart. This is, of course, balanced by efforts to create new processes that scale. This will probably be successful, but there is some lag time. For example, on the engineering side, there is a large bias towards planning and building consensus. As more people come to the table, consensus is harder and harder, and so attaining consensus (or going ahead without it) can be frustrating. There are similar pains right now as teams get more geographically diverse.

Continue reading

"Excellent company! Great future."

I have been working at Asana

Pros

Company really practices core values that include a flat organization, equanimity, mindfulness, and egolessness. Great product with a great future. Excellent compensation. Tons of perks: culinary program, life coach, gym membership, transportation, desk allowance, more. Incredibly talented colleagues. Culinary program is awesome. Growing quickly.

Cons

Some growing pains around transforming a unique start up culture into a larger organization.

"Great Mission, Great Business Model, Honestly Wonderful Teammates & Supportive Culture"

Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Asana

Pros

* Since I can only work at one company at a time, I love working at a company that helps people at many of the other top companies (Dropbox, AirBnB, Uber, Lyft, Quora, Pinterest...) solve problems across a wide variety of fields. Not only do I get to help solve those problems, since we're friendly with those companies I get tons of exposure and connections to them. * Each person gets a ton of responsibility. Even new grads get to be the leaders of their areas and make the big calls. That's not to say you won't hear lots of opinions and get lots of support, but we don't argue till everyone's exhausted. In general, the company really supports personal growth. * We're one of the rare companies that has a viable business model and is still strongly focused on building a product customers love. Our sales model starts with teams choosing to use us for free, so we care a lot about great design and user experience - we're building a product we can all be proud of. And on top of that, we're making money - companies find us valuable and Asana can stay in business. * The culture here is amazing. People genuinely care about each other and are nice. Everyone is really mindful and introspective, always thinking about how to improve things. People give honest feedback often, from a place of support and wanting to work well together. There are lots of different cross-functional extracurricular groups for things like soccer, board games, going out for dinner, and various diversity groups.

Cons

* People are really eager to try new things. Sometimes we skip the obvious time-tested way of doing things and create our own way, which will end up having it's own problems. * We're working through some growing pains with communication and involvement. When we were very small, everyone got a say in basically every decision (what should the office furniture look like, what color should the button be...). Now that would be way too noisy. But it can be sad to not be involved in a decision you used to be included on. I think we need to set new expectations and improve our processes to make sure we don't overcompensate and include too few people. I'm pretty confident we'll come to a good solution here.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews