Article Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Sep 14, 2020

Found 4 of over 77 reviews

4.3
Article CEO Aamir Baig
Aamir Baig
Pros
  • "This is a young, creative, vibrant company loaded with great people to work with(in 5 reviews)

• "Work-life balance with a wonderful office with huge windows to the mountains overlooking Strathcona Park(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "HR and upper management does not care about the wellbeing of it's employees which becomes very apparent when you require support as an employee(in 4 reviews)

• "Weird mixed messages about working remotely(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee

Everyone is trying, but...

Sep 14, 2020 - Customer Care Team Lead in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Your coworkers will become your friends, and will be there to support you. This is crucial as Customer Care can be extremely stressful and intense, especially in the current pandemic. Overall, it's easy to talk to most people and people are honest and direct. The salary is competitive, decent benefits package. The company as a whole is a good place to work, but I would steer clear of CC until it is given a chance to action on feedback and turn the ship around. Knowing the commitment of the CEO to having a good work environment and culture, I hope they will be able to get things back on track with a few key changes.

Cons

Since March, Customer Care as a department has changed dramatically. What used to be a vibrant department of people who enjoyed their jobs and enjoyed helping people has started to spiral into a place where people feel isolated and unsupported by upper management, and disconnected from their peers. Working remotely has only increased these feelings. Changes in management has lead to both CC agents and TLs feeling overworked, spread too thin, and not listened or supported by management. I often felt disrespected and condescended to by a recent management hire, and often did not feel the support I needed in order to properly support my own team. Overall, I just want to say that the feelings of frustration and lack of support are not limited to one level of the department. Everyone is feeling the burn, everyone is trying their best, but are not given what they need to be successful.

12 people found this review helpful

HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Our goal is that every aspect of the team experience is remarkable and that people feel comfortable being honest and direct. COVID-19 has challenged us as an organization to adapt to the new reality while maintaining our commitment to our customers. There has been a high level of stress due to COVID-19 and, especially for our frontline employees, the role can be tough. We recognize the exceptional work of the Customer Care team and we’re making extra efforts to show them our appreciation for their dedication. We have gathered feedback from all levels of the Customer Care team, including Team Leads and Agents, about the unique challenges due to COVID-19 and provided a platform for open-ended feedback in order to understand how we can best support employees. We are working to address feelings of isolation and disconnection from teammates. This is something that many industries are facing in light of the pandemic and Article is no exception. As you noted, we are an honest and direct team, and appreciate all feedback. We have shared these comments and suggestions with the Customer Care leadership team. We take feedback seriously and encourage you to email us at hr@article.com with any further thoughts to help us continuously improve. Sonia HR Manager

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Profit First, People Last

Aug 11, 2020 - Customer Care Associate in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- There are really great people throughout the organization. - The ability to problem solve and build relationships with many different types of customers. - The office space (pre-pandemic) was a lively place that was dog-friendly with complimentary snacks and coffee.

Cons

- HR and upper management does not care about the wellbeing of it's employees which becomes very apparent when you require support as an employee. - The company did not handle the pandemic well and instead duped it's customers and expected the customer care team to handle the stress of lying to customers about stopping returns, dealing with hostile situations (upset customers yelling and swearing at you, rudeness within chats and general disrespect daily) and being denied any vacation time or mental health leave for those who were struggling with the current circumstances. They are a broken record in saying "when one person is absent, everyone else has to handle a larger workload" however, the employees are dropping like flies and amongst the 20-30 staff, everyone has the same non-specialized role. If they retained their employees and provided a fair working environment, this would not be an issue. - Leadership within the CC department rotates frequently, are inexperienced and lack the skills and development to retain talent and help those with potential succeed and grow within the company. - Lots of false promises and a top-down management style. Distrust and lack of mutual respect amongst the teams. - The entry-level pay is not at all worth the stress of the constant lack of structure, changes to procedure/policy, poor leadership and not being listened to. Touting a startup-like environment (dogs, socials, snacks) does not make up for not paying a living wage to your customer care representatives, treating your employees as human beings and complete disregard for how to run a department.

5 people found this review helpful

HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. For frontline employees, we acknowledge difficult customer conversations can make the role tough and stressful sometimes. Our goal has always been to ensure that our customers are satisfied, but not at the expense of our employees well-being. We have processes in place to protect employees from verbal abuse and do not expect our team to endure insulting or offensive language. With respect to your comment about returns, we made operational changes to the way we conducted deliveries, returns and exchanges in order to protect the health and safety of our employees and customers. We communicated these changes on the website and have since made ongoing updates to more clearly convey procedures given feedback from our customers and employees. In the instance we were unable to provide customers our standard returns process, the customer care team was enabled to offer solutions, like discounts or refunds, to find an acceptable resolution. We try our best to coordinate vacation time among the team, though we have put limits on the number of employees off per day to ensure proper coverage. This means we may not be able to approve everyone’s preferred vacation dates. In these scenarios, we’d work with the employee to find a solution that suited their needs. Our customer care team is paid above BC’s living wage – the starting wage for customer care associates at Article is $42,000/year plus benefits and a healthcare/lifestyle spending allowance where premiums are covered by Article. Our benefits package goes above the current BC living wage of $19.50/hour, equivalent to $40,560/year. We have also ramped up hiring for the customer care team to provide opportunities for growth. It is a priority to equip our team members with resources they need to be successful for their position through training and close support from team leads. We recognize the team is working very hard and we’re making extra efforts to show them our appreciation for their dedication over the last few months. Building a positive experience for our employees is important to us, and we encourage you to continue the conversation with the HR team or department leads directly. Thank you, Sonia HR Manager

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

One of the worst experiences in my career to date!!!!

Jul 28, 2020 - Customer Care Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are no pros in my opinion.

Cons

If I could give this company a 0 star review I would I don’t usually write bad reviews but below is my personal experience to say that I ignored reviews is poor judgement . After training which was reading from slides for two weeks with little to no hands on experience and members of management and training professional making you feel as if ur stupid then when u determine honest communication i.e. U learn from hands on demonstration and ur told that this would be facilitated and isn't then ur subjected to oh ur not good enough cause u fail to process a request within ten seconds after two weeks of reading from slides a pure and utter disgrace of a company in all areas treatment company culture management You will be subjected to your performance shared on slack and if they plan to let you go this will be removed and manipulated to cover upper management along with false promises to help you improve and not facilitated. If your looking for a job to use you to process a back log while they recruit new hires and do the same to them then this is the place for u if ur looking for people to totally make u feel stupid and slow after one to two examples of processes then apply for anyone looking to begin a career with a company that u think will treat u right then this is not the place for you. Avoid them like the plague!!!! Only work here if you have to.

6 people found this review helpful

HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our goal is that every aspect of the team experience, including onboarding and training, is remarkable and we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t have a positive experience during your time with us. Customer care is an important part of our customer experience. COVID-19 has challenged us as an organization to adapt to the new reality while maintaining our commitment to our customers. In an effort to keep employees healthy and safe, most of our team at HQ have moved to remote work. At the beginning of our switch to remote work, our team had to create new training procedures to ensure Customer Care team members would still receive a high-quality training curriculum, facilitated by our Customer Care Team Trainer via video conference. By doing that, it unfortunately meant that we were no longer able to offer in-person training sessions and had to move to fully remote sessions and frequent one on one video discussions with team members to compensate. Our team prides itself on being open with each other and providing honest, direct feedback. During the training period, feedback about performance is always given one on one to ensure there can be a two-way dialogue. Team-wide Slack channels are used to communicate break times, and Q&A regarding procedures, product information, etc. We take feedback seriously and encourage you to email us at hr@article.com with any further thoughts — feedback from employees is necessary and encouraged in order to improve future training curriculums. Regards, Sonia HR Manager

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Exceptional staffers and departmental leaders, upper management came up very short.

Jun 7, 2018 - CS Team Lead in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generally a fun, positive atmosphere, challenging and interesting work, great people. Beautiful building with a stocked kitchen, locker rooms and showers, central location is almost perfect, and many people bring their dogs to work every day.

Cons

During my tenure at Article it seemed that the best way for some frontline people to get along was to try to be invisible to upper management as much as possible. I left after an extremely unpleasant situation orchestrated between the CEO and ops manager. Afterward my departure I got in contact with two other former Particle who weren’t surprised to hear about my experience If you join up with Article, just try to not be disappointed if there’s a disconnect between the encouraging words that are said in the Town Hall meetings compared to how you might be treated in a one-on-one situation. Take my review with a grain of salt if you will- everyone has their own perspective. Everyone’s experience will be different, and *everyone* has their strengths and weaknesses, myself included - don't think this review is a case of "everyone is wrong but me". But be skeptical of other reviews where the writers sound like they found religion when Article hired them. Especially current employees, since Article management reads Glass Door and Indeed reviews very closely, and even encourages current employees to write positive reviews and then checks the results.

14 people found this review helpful