Arm "cambridge" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Arm Employee Reviews about "cambridge"

Updated Feb 10, 2020

4.1
Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars
Pros
  • "Working on technology that is transforming the world whilst maintaining a healthy work-life balance(in 174 reviews)

• "amazing location and work environment(in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very Cambridge-focussed, but Manchester's growth is changing that(in 67 reviews)

• "Work/life balance might be tricky in some positions although may not be a problem if you enjoy what you are doing(in 25 reviews)

Reviews about "cambridge"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is very good, especially after recent salary increases in Cambridge and Manchester. The Manchester office is very well designed and provides a great working environment. The company culture encourages and supports very collaborative working processes and work-life balance is good. Most teams are quite open to remote working on a regular basis.

Cons

The recruitment process isn't as smooth as it could be and seems to have got worse recently, both for candidates and hiring managers. The system for hiring staff on fixed-term contracts is not very flexible. Some of the engineering support services are under-resourced and not performing to the high standard you'd expect from a world-leading company.

Arm2020-02-05

February 13, 2020Global Talent Brand Manager

We think Manchester is awesome too! Many thanks for your honesty in the areas we could improve as a business. As a technologist, you will understand the changes we are making are being delivered in an iterative fashion, the processes being put in place we hope will iron out some of the snags in both the Hiring Manager and Candidate Experience. Whilst the TA team regularly survey the Hiring Manager community receiving really positive feedback, I appreciate sometimes the anecdotal thoughts fall through the cracks– for that reason we would really appreciate an opportunity to understand what quick wins we could implement to make the process smoother for you. As an existing employee, I’m contactable on outlook and quite often in the Manchester office, Jim Rackett – looking forward to hearing from you.

Continue reading
  2. "Massive growth and focus on Manchester"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work-life balance. Flexible working around childcare. Very competitive salary. Great (and actually useful) benefits. Modern office in central Manchester. Great team, with lots of social opportunities. Working on the latest technology. Lots of opportunities for advancement (if you're prepared to get out of your comfort zone). Very committed to training and personal development.

Cons

Can be risk-averse (kind of goes with the territory in chip design) but this is improving. Very Cambridge-focussed, but Manchester's growth is changing that. There is a tendency to overshare internally, so you can feel like you're drowning in information at first. You soon learn how to control it though.

Arm2020-02-05
  3. "Lots of smart people willing to share their knwoledge"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Very nice offices with a very nice coffee machine(like the one in Costa) *Everyone seems to be very smart, but they are not show off. *Very good for people starting because everyone can teach and help. *Good for the more experienced ones because they can improve. The company has a policy to let employees try new things to improve performance. *It has social events to get people together.

Cons

*The office is split in 3 different places in Manchester. *If you are not proactive you will be left behind. *Cambridge is still the main office, so you may need to go to Cambridge.

Arm2020-02-10

"Not as fabulous when you've been there a while"

Current Employee - Technical Writer/Information Developer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice Cambridge office and facilities. Many great people, who really try and who really care. Flexible working. Regular bonuses, Flexpot. Very good Christmas party!

Cons

Obsessed with meetings. Becoming more corporate as expands. Core behaviours are good, but in practice only seem to be taken seriously if you are below a certain management level. Promotion prospects dry up after you reach Grade 4 unless you pull unhealthy levels of overtime.

Arm2020-01-17
  5. "Great real world experience"

Former Intern - Platforms Hardware

I worked at Arm for less than a year

Pros

- Support network - Flexible working hours - Fun and challenging work

Cons

- Cambridge is expensive - Lots of construction on site, including temporary buildings

Arm2019-12-30

"Challenging work at a company that cares about its people"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Arm we have the benefit of working interesting problems and pushing to deliver into competitive markets, while in a culture that earnestly strives to invest in people and their development and happiness.

Cons

Sometimes the company still struggles with its rapid growth and can be a bit Cambridge-centric

Arm2019-10-02

October 21, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

We appreciate the review and your observations on the infrastructure of a rapidly growing business.

Continue reading

"Great people, great culture, great working environment"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working at Arm for about a year now. I've been given the opportunities needed to make significant contributions to the projects I've been involved in. Everyone in the office is friendly. The hours you are in the office are quite flexible. The building is great and is located 30 minutes from downtown Cambridge/Boston.

Cons

The Boston (Waltham) office is a bit of a satellite office (~50 employees), so that could be a downside depending on what sort of workplace you prefer. There are fewer female employees working here than I would like to expect (~15% of total).

Arm2019-07-25

October 21, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review your working environment in Boston – it’s important we hear from everyone. We couldn’t agree with you more on the gender diversity point – globally it’s an industry-wide challenge. The good news is, we are committed to ensuring Arm is both a diverse and inclusive workplace for everyone. As a result of this commitment 36% of all new starters in the USA so far this fiscal are women. We continue to focus on attraction and retention initiatives in support of this. Recently, one of our female Senior Software Engineers from Arm Boston joined us at the Grace Hopper Conference in Florida – supporting our attraction efforts. We are also working together on an internal engagement programme to support the active Women’s Network and build on our Inclusion Matters Programme, where we provide unconscious bias training. Whilst we have a great ambassador network, we are always keen to have others join us. We are all responsible for contributing to an inclusive and diverse working environment- If you’d like to learn more about how you can contribute, please take a look at the Community and Inclusion posts on Yammer for more details :)

Continue reading

"Poor Software Development Practices and Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

* The pay is very good. Outside of Cambridge in most places you will earn a very good wage for your living costs. * The offices are nice. Standing desks, no hot-desks. Quiet environment and you are free to go to the one of many meeting rooms if you need to. It's a technology company so technical people are taken seriously.

Cons

* Poor work-life balance. Arm Manchester mainly recruits very smart young people and makes them work super hard. Most people do additional work into the evenings, either on the record or not. Most people will claim not to even though they do! This is because the level of workload that is assigned to each employee - you are not directly told to work overtime but if you don't, you will get bad performance reviews etc. * Confrontational and competitive environment. Not really a collaborative environment unless you were hired in via a referral and already have allies there. * Lack of focus on testing and quality. There is no real resourcing for testing/test quality. It is a developer-led organisation and testing is seen as an afterthought or not important in general.

Arm2019-10-21

October 30, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

In our most recent Life At Arm survey, along with a host of reviews across Glassdoor and similar platforms, our people rate the ‘Work-Life Balance’ along with the flexible working environment, as some of the best attributes to working at Arm. I’ve visited many of our Arm offices and Manchester is one of my favourite, more for the indescribable culture. It’s as close to a creative, free-thinking and collaborative environment I believe Arm has - so I was really surprised to read about your experience. Whilst we expect collaboration amongst our teams, we must also be mindful that introverts may behave differently. We are committed to creating an adaptable and inclusive environment where people are empowered to be their brilliant selves at work. As with most global businesses, some teams are matrix managed, we do recognise this results in the creation of microcultures but we would like to think you have the ability to speak with your Manager about the way you feel, or the site lead- in this case, it’s Ross Keeping for Manchester. When speaking with Ross about your review, he wholeheartedly understood your frustrations around testing and I’m on the understanding there are steps being taken to improve this. Perhaps you could take this as an opportunity to speak with him as to how this may be relevant for you and your team. Outside of this, I’m keen to see how we can help change the way you feel about the environment you’re currently working in. Both Ross Keeping and I can be found on Outlook, as you are still an employee of Arm’s that would be the easiest way to reach out. We very much look forward to hearing from you soon.

Continue reading
  9. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

The company is quite supportive. Management holds open doors policy Sharing of information is great. You could easily know what happens around the company. The company has a great growth potential. Good work-life balance

Cons

The package for software developers in Cambridge is not competitive.

Arm2019-10-16

October 21, 2019Global Talent Brand Manager

You have outlined some of the key reasons many of us really like working at Arm - thank you.

Continue reading
  10. "Genuinely nice place to work"

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Hoddesdon, East of England, England

I have been working at Arm for more than a year

Pros

Interesting projects, nice people, pleasant working environment. Employees are keen to improve their skill set and knowledge. As an employer, Arm are continually looking to support their employees both professionally and personally with initiatives that promote both. Work/Life balance is superb. You would NEVER find anything like this in the City. Arm genuinely appreciate the importance of family. The City only pay it lip service. Arm has a great presence within the community and support many local charities and events.

Cons

Cambridge is not a cheap place to live. Perhaps salaries should be on a par with London.

Arm2019-10-09