ApplyBoard Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

ApplyBoard Reviews

Updated Oct 7, 2019

Found 45 reviews

4.2
ApplyBoard CEO Martin Basiri (no image)
Martin Basiri

"Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Communications Coordinator

I have been working at ApplyBoard full-time for less than a year

Pros

The workplace culture is so positive and supportive. I felt welcome right away both within my own team and within the company as a whole. Upper management really takes the time to try to learn everyone's names and get to know a bit about you. Everyone here really cares about our Mission and Vision and it shows in the work we do.

Cons

Since we are doing something no one's really ever done to this scale before it comes with its challenges of having to pave the way. It also is quite exciting because it presents more of an opportunity to work together as a team to find solutions.

ApplyBoard2019-05-17

"Great mission, fast growth, conflicting management"

I have been working at ApplyBoard full-time for more than a year

Pros

- an amazing family of staff. - fun team really tries to have fun. - making a difference in students lives. - exciting future. - free Wednesday lunch and lots of free snacks - some senior management seems to care. - average market pay.

Cons

- mediocre benefits at higher than industry cost. Many employees supplement with their own. (management denies this, but ask around). - crazy hours and even crazier pace. Always going at top speed. - morale is starting to strain due to the insane growth in some areas. - little work life balance. - average vacation and ridiculous sick and personal day policy. 2 paid days and done. - a lot of conflicting direction... from your manager and co founders.

Advice to Management

Time to slow growth and let teams catch up. Stop using ”its more than the government minimum” as an excuse for poor benefits. Look at the industry around us. We need to match or beat them, or we'll soon see our best and brightest gone.

ApplyBoard2019-10-08

October 8, 2019Head of Talent

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback. We appreciate the value you see in our organization. Applyboard has made significant strides in the past 2 years that has been recognized by our customers. We are trying to solve a complex industry problem with a global market share. We have and will continue to grow at a fast pace and need like minded professionals that can not only live and breathe the company mission but also adapt to our pace. As we grow we will review and upgrade our best practices in every area be it leadership principles, EVP and employee benefits. Incase of any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. Head of Talent, Applyboard.

"Great place with diverse coworkers"

Former Employee - Customer Experience

I worked at ApplyBoard full-time

Pros

Room for growth Weekly lunches Was able to connect with C-suite

Cons

Pay was low for the cost of living in KW Senior roles always go to external hires Most people eat at their desk for the half hour lunch and nobody takes their 15min breaks

Advice to Management

You will burn out your employees if you don’t encourage them to leave their desks or take their 15s. Telling people they shouldn’t work at ApplyBoard if they’re there for a pay cheque is ludicrous (especially given the 55M in funding received)

ApplyBoard2019-09-18
  4. "Part-time"

Current Employee - Tutor in Toronto, ON

I have been working at ApplyBoard part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment really great environment

Cons

bad food, really bad food

ApplyBoard2019-09-25

September 30, 2019Business Development Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate that you concur with 100% of our employees that we have a great work environment and culture. Our free lunch best practice helps promote community development and support of our local produce. We take utmost care to ensure our weekly lunch menu complies with our standards and dietary needs. I wanted to bring this review to the attention of our readers, that we do not have a Part-Time Tutor employed with us for over 3 years. We will be flagging this comment to Glassdoor for investigation as it does not represent our employee/contractor base at Applyboard.

"Meaningful work and amazing community of coworkers kept me inspired every day"

Former Employee - CX Team Member in Kitchener, ON

I worked at ApplyBoard full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Shared common goal of increasing access to education motivates the entire team to innovate, problem solve, and work together to overcome challenges. - Amazing amazing team to work with. Cannot stress this enough. I feel so fortunate to have worked with this group - ApplyBoard is a diverse and engaged community. Many new friends after my time working here. - Room for professional growth, and space for new ideas... and innovation.

Cons

- Low pay for the scope of responsibilities and complexity of the role - Company is scaling and still has not perfected all processes.

ApplyBoard2019-08-06

"Growth + Energy + Youth = ApplyBoard"

Current Employee - Senior International Recruitment Manager in Kitchener, ON

I have been working at ApplyBoard full-time for more than a year

Pros

It has been more than one and a half years since I have joined the sales team at ApplyBoard. I could not have achieved the same growth in my career as I have achieved here. As it is a startup, it makes it easy to get attention from the management and they help you to grow. The CMO & Co-Founder is super energetic and you get many opportunities to work closely with him on various projects. The very positive and... energetic atmosphere with a common goal in mind, "To Become The Top Leaders in International Education Industry"

Cons

In my role, I have to balance my work hours with Canadian and Foreign Clients which, other than that nothing I can complain about :)

Advice to Management

Start, Evening Skill Programs at the office or Permission to join Skill Development Programs in Extended Education in local schools. Some more budget for employees to use towards their professional skill development.

ApplyBoard2019-05-07
  7. "Good Place To Work"

I have been working at ApplyBoard full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, very young and energetic environment. Free lunch on Wednesdays.

Cons

Lots of changes, salary isn't as competitive.

ApplyBoard2019-05-13

"Not the best"

I have been working at ApplyBoard full-time

Pros

- Everyone is SO friendly, I have not met one rude person - vacation is decent

Cons

- sick day policy is messed up, you get a limited amount and they are unpaid. I have never worked at a company where you have a limited amount of sick days and you don’t even get paid for them - no flex time...would love to come in earlier and leave earlier but they don’t allow that - pay is low - benefits are not amazing - are constantly pushing overtime - work space is not comfortable. Your desk is out in the... open with no privacy or room to put anything to make you feel more comfortable or happy in your workspace. If you want to put a photo of your family there is no room for that. - I don’t like that it is 9-5:30 with only a half an hour lunch. Should be 9-5 with an hour lunch. I don’t think longer hours equal more productivity.

Advice to Management

Take into account what people are saying. This should not be considered a start up anymore!

ApplyBoard2019-05-15

June 4, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Hi there! Thank you for leaving this review. We love giving people a balanced perspective about what to expect at ApplyBoard! That being said, we do offer paid sick days as part of the employee package--check it out! :) As for work hours, each department is a little different that way, depending on their function. We want to balance being available for inquiries with giving our customer-facing employees the flexibility they need.

"Work in progress"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON

I have been working at ApplyBoard full-time for less than a year

Pros

A great mission and purpose to help international students with their right to access education . Welcoming and friendly environment.

Cons

Can be overwhelming due to the lack of communication among teams and need of more formalized training. Not flexible in work hours - can't start earlier and leave earlier etc.

ApplyBoard2019-05-18

June 4, 2019Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We'd love to clarify your great point about work hours. We strive to balance being available for inquiries with giving our customer-facing employees the flexibility they need. :)

10. "A Great Group of People and Ideas!"

I have been working at ApplyBoard full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have only been at ApplyBoard for a few months, but so far everyone here has been friendly, intelligent, ambitious, and wants the best possible outcome for every application - it doesn't seem like a "doing this for the paycheque" job for anyone I've met so far. The CEO Martin is extremely passionate about this company, and cares deeply about the people it serves. The office is typical of a modern startup - massage... chairs, treadmill desks, open concept, and a variety of snacks on hand. The team works to create social and charity events, and they run in-office events as well to showcase the diversity of backgrounds and cultures within the company.

Cons

Typical startup issues (ie: technology tools for daily use are seriously lacking). Startups will always have hurdles, but as I've seen in the past, companies that make the amount of effort that ApplyBoard is making are worth sticking around for.

ApplyBoard2019-05-08