AppNeta "lunches" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

AppNeta Employee Reviews about "lunches"

Updated 3 Dec 2019

3.7
AppNeta CEO Matt Stevens
Matt Stevens
Pros
  • "AppNeta is quickly becoming a great place to work(in 6 reviews)

• "The management team is very transparent and have an open door policy that allows you to ask them tough questions knowing you'll get an answer(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "I'm guessing this is common in start ups but there is a high turnover rate(in 6 reviews)

• "lack of transparency and honesty from upper management(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "lunches"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place, Amazing culture, Very interesting product work"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The entire management team here just gets it. The culture is like a startup and supportive like a family.

Cons

Lots of legacy code to deal with; Eventually everything is legacy code though ,so it's best to embrace it and continue to work on making things better where we can get the most value - and we are constantly improving that space.

Advice to Management

More focus on exercising Agile practice all the way up the chain (ie. Product, not just in Engineering). Clearer roadmap to help planning (less reactive to niche customers, more big picture features)

AppNeta2019-07-16
  2. "Great company that cares"

I worked at AppNeta full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Management genuinely cares about its employees * CEO is a great guy (although he rarely visits the Vancouver office) * Fairly interesting engineering problems to solve * Really good work-life balance (at least when you're not on call) * Good position in the market * Lots of stability if you're looking for that, many people have been with the company for 5-10 years * Fun atmosphere, beer Fridays, foosball... league

Cons

* On call can be literal hell * Only one day WFH a week, although management is pretty lax about it * Lots of tech debt * Foosball games can get pretty heated

Advice to Management

There's a lot of institutionalized inertia in the company, with specific people extremely resistant to change, even when what's going on is clearly not working. Embrace change for the better and fix things that are broken.

AppNeta2019-12-03
  3. "Takes great care of their people, relaxed but fun"

Full Stack Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at AppNeta for more than a year

Pros

You get to be influential

Cons

Pay (as an intern at least) wasn't great

AppNeta2018-08-08
  4. "Interesting technology, big name customers."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good working environment, smart people and a lot of growth potential for the company. Interesting technology and challenging problems, with quite a few customers from the Fortune 100.

Cons

There is still room for improvement

AppNeta2018-06-22
  5. "Great Vancouver Start-up"

I worked at AppNeta

Pros

Was a great environment to work in, small but strong teams working hard towards company goals

Cons

Typical start-up stuff - growing pains, etc.

AppNeta2017-09-07

"Senior Software Engineer"

I worked at AppNeta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with and management goes to great lengths to accommodate and support its staff. The company didn't achieve all that it aspired to but it certainly tried hard and kept the motivation high without pushing engineering staff beyond what they could sustain.

Cons

The company faces the usual challenges of a small and fast-growing technology company. In hindsight perhaps it should have better predicted the future of its market but that's is easier said than done.

AppNeta2017-01-04
  7. "Great Place to work!"

I have been working at AppNeta

Pros

Nice, relaxed work atmosphere with a lot of social activities and perks.

Cons

Didn't have any issues working here

AppNeta2016-01-09

"Great People, Exciting Future"

I have been working at AppNeta full-time

Pros

AppNeta is a fantastic company to work for. The future for the company looks pretty bright too. Lots of exciting sales to very common names. The people I work with are above all the best part about AppNeta. Smart developers solving tough problems. So many people are truly interested in doing things well. Building software the right way using the latest technologies and processes - definitely keeping things modern.... AppNeta values its employees and this is shown in many ways. A few include fun swag, frequent lunches & beer, and a progressive benefits package. It goes deeper than that to the individual. Star rating aside, I think the low employee churn speaks the truth about the rating and employee happiness at AppNeta. With the hiring that we are doing right now and the diverse opportunities opening up its a pretty good place to develop your career.

Cons

There are a lot of irons in the fire which makes priority management challenging. There is so much that we want and need to do. That said, all of these irons are in progressing a few key products. We are still adapting and learning with our development processes but they are pretty good and getting better.

AppNeta2015-11-27
  9. "Awesome team! Awesome perks!"

I have been working at AppNeta for more than a year

Pros

Awesome team of friendly people, the nicest I have ever worked with. The culture is very open and communicative and there are more and more events each month like pizza lunches, beer socials, optional employee-led learning seminars and tons of other stuff.

Cons

Nothing of note, the company is growing fast and that means lots of new faces all the time and shifting policy but the company appears very committed to their team and making them happy and comfortable at work.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your team and keep doing what you're doing!

AppNeta2015-11-18

"No growth in this company"

Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at AppNeta

Pros

- low turnover rate - ability to work from home - location- downtown near the sky train - interesting product

Cons

- there are no careers, just jobs - there is absolutely no growth. You get what you negotiated at the beginning for as long as you're there regardless of how hard you work. Don't work over-time with the hope to grow your title. - wrong software life cycle. QA are told not to publicly report critical bugs to save their manager's job! - people who are clueless want to tell you how to do your job - heavily... political - never oppose management - you need to report your work updates on 5 technologies: email, hipchat, verbal, github, jira - management is hirrible. They award their relatives who were on vacation while the people who are sweating to fix customer issues get mistreatment. I am not even getting a "hello" from them. - No distinction between good development and bad development. That's due to lack of understanding of the non-technical management.

Advice to Management

I can only give advice to the top management not the developers' manager. Please get rid of the unqualified managers. Make sure you hire managers who are certified engineers with real industry experience. Also, please listen to your employees before they decide to leave. You must get HR involved. I cannot possibly communicate my problems to my manager as he is the problem himself. I truly wish that things get... better.

AppNeta2015-03-31