AppNeta Sales Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Oct 14, 2019

3.1
AppNeta CEO Matt Stevens
Matt Stevens
  1. "Honestly, this place is a scam - stay away"

I worked at AppNeta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are just starting a new job out of college and want some kind of experience in the tech industry, they have a decent training. Or at least they used to, not sure what they have now as the entire company turns over every couple of months with the exception of 3 people who have been on the sales floor since the beginning (and hold all of the profitable accounts in their name).

Cons

Horrible place to work if you intend to have a career. From a business stand point, they have gone through multiple VCs who have all dumped them. They do not have the management to keep solvent beyond whatever scraps they get from various VCs. From the tech side, they are now considered irrelevant.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the high paid sales "executives" who have only managed to seem profitable to you based on a one or two off sale they got years ago and continue to hoard. I would suggest you look into serious, experienced, leaders. At this point, you may need consultants to rip and replace everything if you intend to exist 12 months from now.

AppNeta2019-10-14
  2. "Great environment where employees are treated with respect and can write their own story"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are rewarded for the time and effort and contributions to the companies long-term goals. The leadership team doesn't create a complete top-down strategy without consulting the contributing team members first. AppNeta provides great flexibility for personal development and strives to ensure family values come before work values.

Cons

AppNeta may have aged out of the true startup designation, but the company runs fast and sometimes that means going beyond a normal week (or two).

Advice to Management

Continue to keep in-line with company values around trust and transparency. It's great knowing exactly where the company stands, but more important as a contributor to the company's long term goals.

AppNeta2019-07-16
  3. "If you like a challenge, this might be right for you"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture and performance accountability are clearly important to leadership. That naturally attracts performance oriented individuals with high professional standards that want to develop their skills and their career. If you are willing to work hard and participate in the larger collaborative effort to grow the business, your contributions will be welcomed and rewarded in all parts of the company. If that sounds... right to you, this could be a great fit.

Cons

Not really a con, but it's a start-up environment with all the associated challenges of a rapidly growing company. You have to like rolling up your sleeves to do the heavily lifting. If you don't naturally seek a challenge, it’s probably not a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for excellence in all parts of the organization.

AppNeta2016-02-19

"AppNeta Launched My Career"

Senior Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at AppNeta

Pros

AppNeta has a community of people who want to learn and love to win. The past four years here have been a positive learning experience as well as introduced me to many long lasting professional relationships. Healthy combination of industry experience and developer driven mentality.

Cons

The office space was limited due to an influx in hiring over the past few months. Since moving west, I believe they have leased another floor to compensate.

Advice to Management

Continue to train and hire young professionals - stay competitive in the workforce. Boston as a city is on the way up as it relates to innovation.

AppNeta2015-09-07
  5. "Glad I Stuck It Out"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been at AppNeta for a couple years now and I've always enjoyed my colleagues and the products I sell (my customers really love our stuff in most cases and when there's an issue, I always feel like my support team has my back). But a little over 1.5 years ago I almost left for what felt like greener pastures because a change just felt like the thing to do + our CEO at the time felt burnt out. Since then, I... have a new senior sales manager and there is new senior leadership at the company and things have markedly improved. I feel like I have a real voice and I'm being listened to. The job is still uber challenging, but when I succeed, I'm rewarded well and I'm called on to help teach others too. So glad I decided to stay and I can see a career path here that will take me the next few steps in my professional growth - not sure what else I could ask for beyond that.

Cons

Sales management is good but stretched a little thin. I realize this is being addressed, but I'm selfish and I wish I had more 1:1 time with my direct manager for advice and general mentorship. Also, as previously mentioned, we're growing super fast and sometimes the reality of our facilities challenges can be a bummer for the male employees (again, this is being addressed, but until it is, it's not always great).

Advice to Management

Keep the open communications - good, bad or otherwise, I'm a grown-up and I can handle it and I truly appreciate being treated that way. Double down on the efforts to hire more senior sales management please!

AppNeta2015-06-05

"Great group of tech savvy sales guys/girls selling Incredible Technology."

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Without a doubt the most nimble APM tool in the market. Prospective customers that go through a qualified trial with AppNeta almost always buy. With an effort to really learn the technology, you can make a lot of $ here. TraceView(APM tool) is easier to sell every week as its fantastic reputation reaches more in the IT world. The personalities in the office are flat out fun. There's always great food,... drink(incredible coffee) and office games(ping pong, foos) that keep you very comfortable when you need a break. The upside potential for growth is phenomenal.

Cons

Getting paid your commissions here is more stressful than most sales org's, but if you're organized and understand your customers' payment processes there should be no major pain(great % payouts). The C-level messaging is fairly consistent, but mgmt. has struggled to support the sales & op's teams with clear goals and paths to build a strategy for long term growth. Accountability has been an issue for operations and... sales mgmt. Do not give too much credit to the musings of bitter former employees who weren't willing to work, there's a lot of money to be made here.

Advice to Management

Have a 2nd men's toilet installed immediately(maybe a 3rd and 4th, too). "Plumbing too difficult"?, then move. An office with more than 25 men that has only 1 toilet is not only a health code violation but an utter disregard for the well being of your employees. Leadership should be ashamed for their lack of action here.

AppNeta2015-01-06

"well, well, well..... things not going so well, eh?"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at AppNeta full-time for more than a year

Pros

chickens coming home to roost

Cons

complete lack of leadership awful strategic and tactical understanding of how organizations work did i mention lack of leadership treat people like crap no long term strategy - just run around like a dog sniffing things at the park total lack of fortitude at the top of the company dwindling numbers... business is not good. this ship is as good as sunk.

Advice to Management

investors need to shake things up

AppNeta2014-04-15

"work here if you want to waste your time or deal with incompetent "leadership""

I worked at AppNeta full-time for more than a year

Pros

virtually nothing. you will come away from here knowing things can only get better.

Cons

pretty much everything - no one hits targets, targets always change, atmosphere is horrible and "leadership" (used as loosely as possible) is worse. part of the dilemma here is that if you write too little then it is assumed that you are just an idiot that couldn't hack it. if you write too much then you're just sour grapes. listen to the other reviews on here.. would this many people REALLY go through the... trouble of signing up, confirming their email account and writing a review if they didn't feel strongly about how miserable this place is? also, do you really think that a couple of spunky 5star reviews written by management can hold a candle to the onslaught of negativity expressed by current and former employees? uhhh no. they will find a way to micromanage while being detached enough to not know what's going on. they will change company strategies at least 3 times per year… for example, last year they were running a targeting campaign against a competitor. next thing you know they are receiving money from the competitor. one quarter they are selling to enterprise, the next to integrators, the next to government entities. hiring and firing for each specific target as if people don't matter. it's not just the 'underling' that they churn through. how many directors of sales can you go through in 18 months? what about marketing execs? do you even know who you are marketing to? who buys your product? is your product network or application? oh wait i know!!! it's the best thing ever and every company should buy it!!! that's it!! it's easy!!!! bottom line, if you want to start your career with no training, no guidance, an inappropriate atmosphere, execs that either have no idea what they are doing or just have no idea what they are doing, then this is place.

Advice to Management

stop trying to sell your employees on the idea that you can fire people ad nauseum without it hurting moral and perhaps more importantly from your perspective THE BOTTOM LINE. you are a bunch of posers that have no business being associated with the following words or phrases that you personally tout: Strategic operations Business planning and positioning Go-to-market strategy and execution

AppNeta2013-12-06
  9. "Don't believe the negative reviews, AppNeta is a great opportunity."

I worked at AppNeta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge Opportunity, Great Product, Fun atmosphere with great people. The sales model does result in turn over on the sales floor, but the negative reviews are not representative of life at the company.

Cons

Inexperienced sales teams, music selection and volume should not be controlled by the floor.

Advice to Management

Be more picky with the team leads in sales, focus on intelligence and people that can adopt to change. Focus on training.

AppNeta2013-08-01

"Lots of lies and long days"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at AppNeta full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great opportunity to put on resume, recruiters in Boston love AppNeta reps -Young sales team is a great crowd, build great relationships during the early mornings, late nights, and saturday sourcing sessions. -True work hard play hard environment (just dont get a lot of time to play) -Sales Spiffs are top of the line (trips, events) but not worth the abuse -Technology is great and the team... designing/building/supporting it is A+

Cons

-Very junior sales team with not a lot of leadership to go around -Lie in interviews to bring on more reps (Positive Glassdoor reviews prior to April 2013 are written internally by HR for recruiting purposes just an FYI) -No work life balance (expect to be at work before 7:30pm, after 6:30pm, and to be on your managers good side come in on a Saturday or two to source lists for data import on Mondays) -Since... leaving have heard feedback from old prospects/lost opportunities that they were turned off by the lack of professionalism on the AppNeta side of the phone.

Advice to Management

Develop an Inbound Lead Specialist Team to process/close inbounds leads. Have Inside Sales Team work on finding and closing sourced opportunities to drive revenue.

AppNeta2013-06-21