AppNeta Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Oct 14, 2019

3.7
AppNeta CEO Matt Stevens
Matt Stevens

"What a good company should be"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time

Pros

Extremely technical product requires a team of super talented, super smart people. Learning and becoming familiar with the product is definitely a mountain, but one you want to climb. The culture is great and you are treated like a grown up to accomplish whatever career goals you might have. The most important part of any company is the people, and the people here have been fantastic. Flexible hours, unlimited... vacation, and the pay is much better than expected for a company this size.

Cons

It is still a small company and some of the processes are not quite in place yet. This is both good in the fact you have the freedom to implement your own processes and also bad in that you have no set process to rely on. The product is super technical and the ramp-up is fairly steep. You are expected to perform, but it's more motivating than anything.

Advice to Management

There should be a better mentoring program for employees. A little more direction is always helpful.

AppNeta2016-06-15

August 2, 2016CEO

Super review. ;) Honestly, thank you for sharing. Totally agree that we have a very technical solution that solves technical problems for technical buyers. We love that - raises the bar for everyone and to your point, we love surrounding ourselves (and our customers!) with smart people. And you're right - our processes, while sooo much better than just a year ago, still have some maturing to do for sure.

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at AppNeta full-time

Pros

Not many pros to list. Gain a very small bit of knowledge about the tech industry as well as networking. Young office. Pizza and kegs at the end of a good quarter.

Cons

Very low pay. If you don't mind making 150 cold calls a day then this is the spot for you. Not joking the number they expect is 150 a day and they track it so the whole office knows how many phone calls each person makes. Sales goals are set at impossibly high levels so that when you get close but don't quite make it they don't give you a raise. The turn over rate is incredible. New faces every couple weeks.

Advice to Management

Take some time and invest in the people that are there. Don't work them to the bone and then let them go when they don't make their number just so you can keep everyone's salaries low. It's not going to work as a business model.

AppNeta2016-03-26

August 2, 2016CEO

Thanks for your feedback. Are you sure you're reviewing the right company here? We've never had "kegs" ever (we do enjoy celebrating our successes for sure and we also own and learn from our mistakes too...). In sales, effort does matter ( a lot!), but our goals here are based on results and outputs vs. activity.

3. "If you like a challenge, this might be right for you"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture and performance accountability are clearly important to leadership. That naturally attracts performance oriented individuals with high professional standards that want to develop their skills and their career. If you are willing to work hard and participate in the larger collaborative effort to grow the business, your contributions will be welcomed and rewarded in all parts of the company. If that sounds... right to you, this could be a great fit.

Cons

Not really a con, but it's a start-up environment with all the associated challenges of a rapidly growing company. You have to like rolling up your sleeves to do the heavily lifting. If you don't naturally seek a challenge, it’s probably not a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for excellence in all parts of the organization.

AppNeta2016-02-19

August 2, 2016CEO

Great input - thanks for sharing. Yes, this is a start-up culture and the realities of that can be a lot to absorb. Those that thrive in that kind of environment do well here and will find it very rewarding; but if you're looking for a "cool place to hang out" - I agree, best to keep looking since everyone here is accountable for their own performance and for not letting their teammates or our customers down.

"Business Development Rep"

I worked at AppNeta

Pros

Great corporate culture, lots of young hungry athletes, fun events. Good place to launch a career in technology sales.

Cons

Poor compensation. Goals often unachievable. Need to boost entry level pay. Encourage employees to stay.

Advice to Management

Better training program for new hires

AppNeta2016-02-24

August 2, 2016CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here. We agree with the better training (and on-boarding...). We've invested heavily in this area for past ~12 months, and to be sure, we've made major strides forward, but we can do better still. And we're committed to doing just that.

"A startup where culture actually counts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

AppNeta is a company that has clearly changed looking at the past review. As a newer employee, I can tell you that this is a different company. The culture is one of openness, responsibility and risk taking. I've been particularly shocked at the lack of politics. This is a place that respects employees and encourages a good work/life balance, while still being very exciting and having great products. At most... startups I've worked at, "culture" is code for pool tables and free lunch, rather than the actual values of the company - AppNeta's culture is real.

Cons

None yet other than the lack of bathrooms for men. I know that sounds like a bullish*t answer, but it is really true - I haven't found anything that I'd really regard as a con.

Advice to Management

One of the hardest areas to manage as startups grow is career advancement - just because there are fewer positions available at smaller companies. Invest in this area and you will have even happier employees.

AppNeta2015-11-22

December 4, 2015CEO

Thank you for your feedback - keep 'em coming! Culture is built over time and is a product of many many people working together towards a common goal with common set of guiding principles. AppNeta has so many talented people that contribute to a living, breathing culture and it's awesome to hear that the culture felt by newer team members too. Oh, and regarding that nagging men's room challenge ... we've opened a second men's room, so hopefully that helps some too!

"Not bad..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and energy. Company has an awesome product, built by some fantastic developers. CEO really cares about his team.

Cons

Sales environment is sink or swim. If you are a smooth operator, you'll grow fast and make serious money. They'll throw cash at you like they have an unlimited bank if you are their top earners, otherwise management will complain, pester, and lay you off. Turn over in past year pretty high (Quarter of sales staff switched companies or got laid off, some upper management jumped ship).

Advice to Management

If you train your sales staff to target 'personas', expecting pray and spray sales activities is counter intuitive. Don't waste time on meeting metrics: focus on cultivating a more fluent sales staff.

AppNeta2015-11-28

December 4, 2015CEO

Thank you for your feedback. All jobs at a startup are hard; startups are just plain hard in general. But in particular, the sales function at a high-tech startup can be one of the hardest jobs anywhere. The market is ever-changing, the product(s) are evolving at breakneck speeds, the customers and use-cases are far ranging and of course the competition pays closer attention (and mimics..) the better you perform. Some people excel naturally in this environment and others need more guidance to get there. This is why AppNeta has invested in a dedicated sales enablement team and on-going professional sales training. But in the end, start-up sales and all that goes with it, isn't for everyone.

7. "Great work environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for more than a year

Pros

The management team at AppNeta really cares about the employees and are always looking for different ways to improve employee happiness. It is a fun environment to work in especially since we are growing at such a quick rate. AppNeta generally does at least one company wide fun event quarterly, along with bi-weekly lunches and weekly happy hours. AppNeta also gives back to the community with quarterly volunteer... activites along with seasonal food and clothing drives.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to working at AppNeta. The enviroment is lively and energetic which may not be for everyone.

AppNeta2015-11-19

December 4, 2015CEO

Thanks for your comments - very much appreciated. Fun and work often don't go hand in hand, but the entire team at AppNeta really does focus on this and I agree, it is a fun place to work!

8. "Great place to work"

Massachusetts in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta

Pros

I’ve worked at both tech start-ups and the biggest tech companies and AppNeta is the really the best of both worlds. Like a start-up, it’s a fun, collaborative environment with good opportunities for growth. Like some large tech companies, AppNeta’s products lead the industry, use cutting edge technologies, and take very good care of their employees with; good benefits, free lunches, snacks, drinks provided daily.... They’re also able to share big client wins with employees on a regular basis. What’s not like any company I’ve worked for, there’s a real transparency, from the CEO Matt Steven as to the companies’ financial performance, new products and growth plans. They also encourage you to be innovative understanding that it’s okay to try and fail. It’s also a pretty flat organization, so, not much red tape in getting things done. For people looking for a fun, open, exciting place to work, this is it. Come prepared to make positive contributions that help make the company better.

Cons

None. AppNeta has learned from past mistakes about how to run a good company. In the past, there weren't enough processes, systems in place from what more tenured employees have said.

Advice to Management

Keep the same culture the same when AppNeta grows larger.

AppNeta2015-11-19

December 4, 2015CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback - it's invaluable to our continued successful growth. I'm so glad to hear that our efforts on delivering true transparency are being felt. There's still more we can do here, so please keep the input coming!

9. "A new AppNeta"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Like many start-up's AppNeta had some growing pains, I've read the posts from 2012-2014 and understand not everyone agreed with decisions that were made. Regardless, that is in the past and before my time. Currently AppNeta is making a name for themselves in the APM space and growing rapidly at the same time. Personal growth and leadership are the biggest reasons people should want to join this organization. ... I've never seen a company that will promote from within so quickly. This is something promised to most new hires but here it actually happens. Secondly is the leadership of the executive team. Through the struggles of what it has taken to get to where AppNeta is today the leaders of the organization have a clear vision of where we are headed. The CEO and CMO have collaborated and put together a plan for 2016 that will really put this company on the map. The future looks bright!

Cons

My first few weeks at AppNeta were concerning because there were a lot of changes but the dust has settled. Additionally, this isn't particularly a con but it is an inside sales organization with a lot of out-bound activity, if that is not what you are looking for then this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the pedal to the metal and don't look back. Continue to improve the product and the leadership moving forward.

AppNeta2015-11-16

December 4, 2015CEO

Awesome feedback - please keep it coming! Change is definitely a part of a start-up and managing the right amount of change is always hard. We've been better at managing this lately, but it's easy to lose track, so your insight there is appreciated.

10. "Great Choice"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at AppNeta full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great management team that seeks to create an environment where there is both a collective sense of responsibility and personal ownership of tasks. - High expectations for achievement are balanced with rewards (Thursday/Friday drinks, free lunches, company parties). Management team actively recognizes people in the weekly sales team meetings for doing something well or going above and beyond. -Open... transparency between divisions at AppNeta. Marketing is focused on how to help grow the brand and leads, sales and customer success have open communication about product developments/feedback from customers. Very collaborative environment. -Investment in career development. There is a full sales enablement onboarding program as well as continuing training in sales strategy which I was pleasantly surprised by! Many companies do not offer such career development.

Cons

I came from a background where I did not have to be in an office every day. For me, coming to AppNeta, I understood that I was changing roles and would need to be in the office every day. This for me was a transition, not so much a con, as there is good work life balance (better than average for most companies in Boston) and the office is in a great area of the city (Seaport).

Advice to Management

Continue to build great culture! Merit based rewarding is extremely refreshing and great for a growing company.

AppNeta2015-11-16

December 4, 2015CEO

Great feedback - thanks for sharing it. Collaboration - true collaboration, can be hard to maintain. Technology has helped us for sure, but certain elements still benefit greatly from personal face-to-face sharing of thoughts and ideas. We'll continue to investigate ways to advance this further even as our growth continues to explode and keep an eye out for ways to let our teams work in ways that best suits their individual needs.

Found 79 reviews