Amgen Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 24, 2021

4.1
Amgen President & CEO Robert A. Bradway
Robert A. Bradway
1,144 Ratings
Pros
  • "Great benefits, life balance and great culture(in 221 reviews)

• "Work Life Balance, Time Off, Culture(in 220 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work-life balance is non-existent(in 101 reviews)

• "Decision-making is slow and inefficient(in 69 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Anonymous

Feb 8, 2019 - Graduate Co-Op
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great work/life balance - Enthusiastic and positive company - Ability to move up

Cons

- Limited young talent, a lot of people who have been with the company for decades

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Supply Chain Manager

Aug 22, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

cross-functional view, wear many hats

Cons

very busy and no work-life balance

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Has so much potential to be a great place

Jan 24, 2021 - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The colleagues are generally smart, highly motivated and mission-driven Good benefits Solid balance sheet Highly respected in the industry-lots to learn Used to have lots of family friendly activities, but not sure what will happen to them after COVID Management focused on the company stock price and market performance

Cons

-Work-life balance is non-existent. I am literally working all.the.time. Vacations are rarely taken. I have noticed that if my manager does not see me logged on and green on a weekend, the following week I get dumped a bunch of projects since apparently I have “capacity”. We have winter and summer shut downs but I have always worked through them so they are not that helpful -There is a LOT of micromanaging - this may also be manager/department specific though. But from my experience micromanaging was very commonplace -Decision-making is slow and inefficient. This goes back to the several layers of micromanagement. -Career progression is tricky. Hard to know how you can really advance to the next level -I have had some bad, mean managers. It is disappointing that they think they can treat others in a derogatory manner and the company is allowing such an environment to prevail

5 people found this review helpful

Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It is our sincere goal to provide continuous growth opportunities in an exciting, cutting-edge atmosphere, and reviews are instrumental in our ability to implement change. We encourage you to share additional details about your experience with us at amgen@careers.pure.cloud. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Nov 18, 2020 - Manager in Uxbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Early finish on a Friday - 3pm - Good name to have on your CV - Good salary

Cons

- Long hours and No work/life balance - have to be available to have meetings with HQ in Thousand Oaks at 10pm in the evening but still be available at 8.30am the next day. - You will never see any of the senior management unless it is something really important as they lock themselves in their cosy offices all day - Not entirely sure what HR actually do as you never see or hear from them - All decisions are made in the US so you need to really be based there to further your career. - The office is like a huge library, everyone is afraid to make any noise. - Canteen menu is very limited - Never saw any D&I initiatives - the company didn't do anything in the UK for Black History Month or even Pride - Lots of long term employees who are just waiting for retirement or a time when they can cash in their shares, people have been doing the same role for 6 years plus and not showing any development - this can't be healthy long term for the future of the company.

1 person found this review helpful

Social Media Coordinator

We appreciate your review, value your feedback, and take your concerns seriously. It is our sincere goal to foster an inclusive environment where every staff member can thrive professionally and personally, and reviews are instrumental to our ability to implement change. While you've provided a great amount of detail, we encourage you to write to us at amgen@careers.pure.cloud to share more about your experience. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amgen Engineer

Jan 17, 2021 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work Life Balance, Time Off, Culture

Cons

Not all managers embrace culture in earnest

Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We value your input and we are happy to hear about your positive experience. Please know you can always reach us at amgen@careers.pure.cloud. Again, thank you for your review!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Large company in Thousand Oaks

Jan 4, 2021 - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, work-life balance and people. Good manager training.

Cons

Large company politics and frequent re-organization

Social Media Manager

Thank you for your feedback. It is our sincere goal to provide continuous growth opportunities in an exciting, cutting-edge atmosphere, and reviews are instrumental in our ability to implement change. If there are additional details you would like to share about your experience, please reach out to amgen@careers.pure.cloud. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Soul sucking company with poor culture. Stay away from this company.

Dec 21, 2020 - Quality Assurance in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and benefits that’s all

Cons

Negative work environment, clueless management, lacks core values, bullying management, poor work-life balance, poor employee morale, burnout, unattainable expectations, rude in supportive employees

5 people found this review helpful

Social Media Manager

We appreciate your review, value your feedback, and take your concerns very seriously. It is our sincere goal to foster a positive workspace that upholds the highest degree of professionalism at every level, and reviews are instrumental in our ability to implement change. While you've provided a lot of detail, we encourage you to share more about your experience with our team at amgen@careers.pure.cloud so we can prevent similar feelings in the future. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good salary, "des-organizational" culture, no work life balance

Oct 8, 2020 - Manager in Juncos, PR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Average Salary, bonus and below market 401K

Cons

No work life balance You need to stay in the same job position for at least two years before you can be consider for another role. No matter your professional background. Leadearship doesn't promote work remotely even do the organization and job position is designed to work remotely. They pretend to relocate and live in the office. Flexibility is only for friends of the leadership. Dont be surprised that employees with less academic preparation and experience act as they are in charge just because you are new at your job.

2 people found this review helpful

Social Media Coordinator

We appreciate your review, value your feedback, and take these concerns very seriously. It is our sincere goal to provide an environment where our staff members can thrive professionally and personally. While you’ve provided a great amount of detail, we encourage you to share more about your experience at Amgen@careers.pure.cloud so we can prevent similar feelings in the future. Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

9. 3.0
      Current Contractor

Good for Amgen FTE's

Jan 20, 2021 - Senior Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture and good work/life balance and very nice people

Cons

in you are contractor, you may end up not even having PTO or sick leave

Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is our goal to create an environment where our team members feel supported and heard. We value your feedback and please know that all reviews are taken into consideration when strategizing for the future. Please know, you are always welcome to share any further details with us at amgen@careers.pure.cloud.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Best place to work

Nov 26, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, work life balance, benefits, opportunity to grow

Cons

No cons as such to detail here.

Social Media Manager

As a valued member of our team, we appreciate your input and are happy to hear about your positive experience at Amgen. Please know, you can always reach out to us at amgen@careers.pure.cloud to share more. Thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 320 Reviews