American Hotel Register Employee Reviews about "american hotel"

Updated Jun 3, 2021

Found 31 of over 282 reviews

3.6
American Hotel Register President Angela Korompilas
Angela Korompilas
Pros
  • "Great people and benefits at American Hotel(in 27 reviews)

• "This is a great family owned company that cares about the employees(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper Management didn't take the time to hear from the sales teams about what they needed to succeed(in 15 reviews)

• "Those days of class organizations run by people of character and compassion are gone at American Hotel(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "american hotel"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great culture

Jun 3, 2021 - Transportation in Vernon Hills, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

American Hotel has a great culture. Very people first. Benefits and salary are good.

Cons

Very uncertain future. Company hard hit by the pandemic.

2. 5.0
      Former Intern

Great Company

Sep 23, 2020 - Intern in Vernon Hills, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and benefits at American Hotel

Cons

A great company to work with

3. 1.0
      Former Employee

Rewarding Culture for the Complacent; Fain Incompetence for Success

Nov 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ Flexibility - management does not monitor what you do on a day-to-day basis unless you challenge the status quo; option to work from home every week. + Associate Recognition Program - two employees each month win the chance to park closer to the building, a basket of swag, and an additional day off. + Linda Leahy - The wife of the Chairman of the Board, and maybe the nicest lady in the world. She keeps office hours and seems to genuinely care how you are.

Cons

- Culture - American Hotel is a company in search of its culture. There is a widely held belief that the culture is a 'family culture', but other than being owned by the third and fourth generations of the Leahy family, feelings of family don't permeate through the halls. People tend to be skeptical of others and territorial of their own functional areas. Inefficiency in communication is rampant. And, you may be chastised for speaking up, accused of malice when suggesting new ideas, and penalized for competence. If I were to describe the culture, the only words to come to mind are regressive and authoritative. - Strategy - The company seems to being growing quickly, but without much success. A running joke among leadership is that the chairman of the board travels and an office opens in that particular destination soon thereafter. The company would benefit from market analysis and forward looking game-planning before jumping headfirst. Turnover is high, and I believe there is pretty even split of high performers jumping ship from frustration and terminations due to the need for leadership to blame someone for an initiative's failure. - Leadership - A large portion of the leadership has only experienced corporate America from the lense of American Hotel. The company needs new ideas, new opinions, and new perspectives. Growth from within and internal succession planning are very important, but the ability for such growth has waned over the years and some of the highest levels of leadership's biggest accomplishments are longevity at a company where they began their careers. This same contingent also seems to dismiss new ways of thinking or suggestions based on experience in other environments. Functions as key as the leader of Human Resources and the Chief Executive Officer are individuals who continue to repeat mistakes other companies have already solved by continuing coaching, promotion, hiring, sales, and expansion strategies that may have worked for companies twenty years ago, but that are not realistic in 2018. - Employee Tenure - There are people at American Hotel who have worked at American Hotel for upwards of twenty or thirty years. These are the individuals who are most territorial about their positions and whose complacency is overlooked due to relationships with the long-tenured leadership and Leahy family members. If you do accept a position at American Hotel, be weary of how much you trust these long-tenured people, and hesitate to attempt to offer suggestions in their functional areas, which are unlikely to be received well.

25 people found this review helpful

American Hotel Register Response

VP of Human Resources

We appreciate the time you spent at American Hotel and the candor of your review. As our company has expanded and evolved, we acknowledge there have been some natural growing pains and challenges. However, we remain proud of our family culture and continue to genuinely care about our associates both inside and outside of work. We have onboarded several new members of our Senior Leadership Team and welcome associates (at all levels) from external organizations. Internal promotions and transfers are also key to helping move our business forward. We firmly believe a workforce of diverse perspectives – including both tenured and new associates – best serves our customers. Through our monthly all-company Town Hall meetings, social events, skip-level meetings and 1:1 sessions, we are constantly working to improve internal communication. We are placing concerted effort on making sure all associates are knowledgeable about business priorities, challenges, initiatives and results in order to have vital information about how we’re doing and where we’re headed. We continue to work hard to create a company where people are valued and feel empowered to succeed and develop professionally. Each year we invest time and resources in various internal programs such as leadership development, new manager assimilation and most importantly, succession planning. With our long, successful history of meeting evolving industry needs, we are committed to making American Hotel an employer of choice. Again, thank you for sharing your opinion so we can further consider additional ways for us to adapt and improve the overall experience of our associates. Julie Baker VP Human Resources

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A lot of Potential

Oct 17, 2017 - Inside Sales Representative in Vernon Hills, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

American Hotel Register is a staple in the community. It is a traditional, family owned company that is customer and employee focused. American Hotel offers ample amenities, such as; flexible time, on-site cafeteria, a fitness facility, wonderful health benefits, competitive Vanguard 401k program, and so much more. The company is in the process of redefining itself in the fast changing hospitality industry. Change is good, and sometimes a necessary evil. This is a wonderful company to get your feet wet and encourages you to excel both professionally and personally.

Cons

There are a few cons that come with this organization, like many of course. Management is spread across various projects which doesn't give them as much opportunity to develop individuals as frequently and consistently as most would like. The pay can be a bit more competitive. The way the commission is calculated can almost make sales professionals feel penalized for doing well. However, keep in mind that American Hotel has a very competitive insurance plan, 401k package, and onsite amenities. The work from home program was brought on to drive in more talent and to match what other inside sales organizations are doing. However, and this might have changed since my departure of June 17', but it's only one day a week which isn't really worth it because of the equipment requirements/landline bill, etc. If you don't trust your employee's to work from home then why were they hired? I would love to see this privilege increased from 1 day to 3 days per week.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Awesome!

Mar 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

My personal experience at American Hotel Register has been a very positive one: The culture here is amazing! Despite being one of the largest companies I have worked for, it truly feels like a family here… people that genuinely care and support each other, work cohesively to accomplish common goals, and have fun while doing it. Onboarding program Another thing that sets American Hotel Register apart from other companies I’ve worked for is the onboarding program. The training sessions are both informative and fun... providing new associates with the knowledge for a strong foundation to be successful. Employee recognition I have been very impressed with the recognition employees receive both at a department and company level, which is much more abundant and consistent than anywhere I’ve worked before. Sharing successes and celebrating associates contributes to the family culture that is spoken so highly of at American Hotel Register. Management that is approachable and receptive to feedback I’ve had a few different roles in my career with American Hotel Register thus far and have always found management in each department I've worked for to be very approachable. The company as a whole is welcoming of feedback and frequently implementing ideas from associates. Jim Leahy even joins associates for lunch in the cafeteria… can’t say I’ve experienced that level of approachability at any other company I have ever worked for. Development opportunities Whether developing within my current role or expanding my skillsets to open doors for additional roles within the company, I’ve always been impressed with the opportunities to do so and the support I have received from managers to provide me with the tools and information needed to accomplish those goals. Fun! Annual company picnic (food, games, live band, raffles… awesome!) Sports leagues (kickball, bowling, basketball, etc.) Team activities / celebrations Raffles for Allstate arena shows Volunteer outing opportunities …and more: Healthcare benefits 401k w/company match available Fitness center Café Casual Fridays Educational assistance program Employee discounts Work from home opportunities Wellness initiatives (yoga, weight loss challenges, etc.) On-site services available (haircuts, manicures, massage)

Cons

The expectations I had coming into the company have been far exceeded. The pros have always heavily outweighed any cons in my personal experience with American Hotel Register and nothing significant comes to mind in regard to this category.

4 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Things are changing for the better!

Nov 2, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

American Hotel is investing in the future. They brought on a new warehouse management system, they are implementing a new ERP and they are positioning us for international growth. I think it's an exciting time to be part of a company continually adapting to stay relevant.

Cons

Current systems can be challenging but this will be addressed with the new systems.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I LOVE AMERICAN HOTEL

Sep 1, 2016 - Coordinator in Vernon Hills, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

American Hotel has been a very welcoming environment. As I have met with my fellow employees, it is clear to see that they are passionate about their work, and interested in our team's sucsess. My fellow employees are knowlegable and great about sharing that knowlege. I am very glad to be here and look forward to my future here.

Cons

The cons with American Hotel are few and far between. None come to mind off the top of my head.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Perfect Experience

Sep 2, 2016 - Inside Sales in Vernon Hills, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful employees and management. Always very helpful and friendly. Great learning environment that allows the employees and interns to grow exponentially.

Cons

None, I have never faced any issues or troubles when working at American Hotel Register. They have always been super friendly and have never disregarded or ignored any of my questions.

9. 5.0
      Current Intern, less than 1 year

Great Company!

Sep 2, 2016 - Inside Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

American Hotel has an awesome family culture that makes coming to work more enjoyable. My time with the company thus far has exceeded expectations due to the strength in management, kindness of fellow employees and the passion the people within the workplace show. I am very excited for my future with the company!

Cons

It is hard to write any bad reviews at this time. Every experience I have encountered has been favorable. The company does a great job in keeping its associates happy.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fantastic!!

Jul 1, 2016 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

My experience at American Hotel has been amazing. The training process was a wonderful experience. I was able to get involved with my team and really get a hands on experience as to what I would be doing for my job. The culture here is unbelievable. Anyone that works here will tell you how great this place is. It feels like one big family and I was welcomed in with open arms. I have never worked for a company that is so positive and everyone I have met is willing to lend a helping hand. I am so happy I was hired on with American Hotel and I would recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

I cannot think of one CON for this section.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews