American Fidelity Assurance Company Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 14, 2019

4.4
American Fidelity Assurance Company EVP, President and COO  Jeanette Rice
Jeanette Rice
Pros
  • "Get to work from home on days when not at a school(in 12 reviews)

• "Flexible, Great Benefits, amazing training tools, corporate support(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The overnight travel can be tough at times, but it is worth it(in 9 reviews)

• "Which means work/life balance is difficult(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fair

Sep 14, 2019 - Field Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. No doubt, AF has done a fabulous job attracting good people and keeping them with the pay/benefits. Superior colleagues to work with because of stringent hiring process.

Cons

Culture. Unfortunately, AF has lost its way in putting profits ahead of clients/colleagues. Often times, scheduling is a disaster as things are determined last minute in the field. Which means work/life balance is difficult. Important to this role as the job itself is taxing and involves travel. That plus unnecessary increases in annual quota ensuring a cut in pay to benefit the company's bottom line.

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback. As you noted, we are dedicated to attracting and retaining top talent and creating an employer of choice environment for our Colleagues. This in turn helps us to focus on being a different opinion to our Customers and policyholders. That’s one of the reasons we still focus on providing in-person support and enrollment so that we can build relationships. We use the Challenger sales model to help us provide solutions that meet our Customers’ specific needs. Our products and services are designed specifically for the select industries we do business with.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company but still needs work

Mar 31, 2019 - Customer Service in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Pay Employees are valued and appreciated Good work/life balance Work from home options If you’ve never worked in the supplemental life field, you’ll learn a lot of very valuable life information you may not have known. From department to department no one is better than anyone else, the CEO can be seen in the cafe on a regular basis eating lunch and upper management is approachable. Great community work Great internships for teachers and students Gym New opportunities and incentives every day Amazing cafe I think the company understand the job we do can be very mentally and emotionally draining and we get a lot of opportunities to have breaks for fun.

Cons

In an environment that changes so much it would be nice for more preparation. We get so many junk emails on a daily basis it’s hard to keep up with what’s important. Management isn’t on the same board. Different rules from one to the next. Some departments are extremely unorganized which makes for a poor customer experience. Poor communication between departments which makes it confusing for the customer. Too many different departments. If a customer has a Cancer policy, Texas Life, Flex account and Annuity and they want to make a payment and need help submitting a claim that could be potentially 5 different people they end up talking to. After 6 months of being a permanent representative I feel like each person should be crossed trained on an additional product and that should continue every 6 months with a refresher course offered as well. Very selective in hiring process. I’ve referred 10, 8 of which have had interviews and have not been hired. All of which have very similar backgrounds to me and I was hired. The application process is difficult as well if you don’t know someone who works for the company. The quality scoring process is very uptight for a company that’s so fun and laid back.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Management Team

We appreciate your feedback! We are in the process of implementing new technology that should provide one view of our policyholder and streamlines our Customer billing. Different areas have different needs for Colleagues to be in the office, so each manager is able to determine what works best for their specific team based on their job duties and meeting Customer and policyholder needs. We will share your advice regarding call escalation with our Operations leadership team, and encourage you to reach out to your leaders directly with suggestions.

3. 4.0

Representative

Sep 12, 2019 - Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work Lots f opportunity

Cons

Lots of work Overtime Not good work life balance

Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

Feb 16, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment, Great work life balance and plenty of challenging projects to work on.

Cons

Compensation and benefits.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

AFA is THE place to work!

Sep 24, 2015 - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is an honest company. Everything I was told right from the start has been true and has come to fruition. Management has always been forthcoming, not just with positives, but with challenges. After more than three years, I am exactly where I thought I would be and as long as I strive to be the best account manager I can be, the opportunities keep coming. Salary is nice, especially after a few years, it increases every year if you're doing your job. I have found the work/life balance to be AWESOME...and I'm a person who voluntarily travels any time they ask. the fact that you may travel during the week, but are home every weekend and throughout much of the entire summer is great. Car is awesome, especially with the gas card. Everything is paid for you - travel, supplies, cell phone allowance. But besides excellent benefits and financial opportunity, the best part of this job is the team you will work with. I have made some of my best friends on the Ohio team. The teamwork aspect starts at the top - if you have questions or need help, you always feel free to call the company's top sales people and they treat you like gold. The team is great, management is great, and the company overall is a great place to work. If you like a company that cares about its employees, look at AFA!

Cons

So, just about everyone says travel here, and I think that is fully and completely overblown. Is travel involved? Yes. But most days, in Ohio at least, I am no more than 1.5 hours from home, and I usually get home before my wife does from her 8-5 job. Plus, they ask you to travel, they don't tell you to. We have some people in Ohio all the time because they want to, and we have some people who ask not to travel so much, and they don't! Otherwise, this job is what you make it. Some parts of the year (summer) can be slow, but with a little foresight and organization, you can make those times productive as well. Honestly, most negatives I've seen have been written by people who may not have been successful and are blaming the company. I will suggest that, if you can't succeed in this job, it's entirely on you.

10 people found this review helpful

Talent Management Team

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience at American Fidelity!

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great family culture, benefits, perks, mixed leadership quality/consistency, terribly political charged environment

Oct 24, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, perks, pension, immeasurable family culture, surprisingly pro work/life balance, new work environment, top food service with subsidized food costs for healthy choices, on-site amenities, location, cross-divisional participation - Lean, Six Sigma, etc., emphasis on continuous improvement, personal improvement focus

Cons

High stress, low recognition, inconsistent management practices, old school management thinking, undervalued departments, politics are atrocious across the organization, security division is poison, prefers blocking roads versus protected escort, management prefers big ideas and vision over practicality and realistic productivity (for example - open, collaborative workspace/floor for a division spent mostly on focus work daily)

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Working at APL

Jun 16, 2017 - Customer Service in Brandon, MS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good company to work for. Family and work life balance is important. Been here 30+ years. Good benefits, pension, bonuses

Cons

There are no cons. Good parking, location. On the middle of restaurants, movie theatre down road. Able to take walks and everything close by

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Former Employee

American Fidelity needs to rethink its strategy going forward.

Sep 27, 2011 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company Car - brand new ford fusion with most of the bells and whistles. Expense account Laptop with withless card Cell phone reimbursement Salary plus commission Sales conventions

Cons

Work-Life balance - You are required to travel as necessary. It used to be that just the people who wanted the opportunity to make extra money would travel to better accounts. But now, things have changed. If there is an enrollment that isn't going very well, the manager of that account can have her resources used in a better account and then require other reps to travel to her account to work. If the rep cannot make the trip, the manager puts immediate pressure on that employee until he or she gives in or could possibly lose their job. Equality - If the manager isn't your best friend, then expect to fail. This company has so many political issues which prevent it from being a great company. Management doesn't play fair. If you have been in the company for many years and developed your accounts, you will be asked to share and get nothing in return. Not only that, if you are brand new, you get placed in the crappy account and struggle to find a place to work throughout the year. Of course, you can travel to different enrollments, but when I say travel, I mean drive anywhere from 1-6 hours. But, if the distant enrollment was any good, you would not be invited because only the top reps would have access. Audits - Within the last 5 years, AFA decided to get into the business of performing dependent verification audits which entailed meeting with every employee of the school district and forcing them bring in official documents to prove their dependents are in fact eligible. These were a serious pain in the rear. AFA began to bend over backwards for these opportunities which resulted in AFA reps working from 7:30-5:30 and meeting with 20-30 employees per day, filling out tons of paperwork which took about 10 minutes to explain and fill out before the sales pitch even began. The audits have caused so much grief for the reps working there. Yes, it is an opportunity to sell a lot, but it really puts wear and tear on the reps. Recessionary hiring - When the recession first started, AFA began to hire even more reps. Not only that, as the economy began chopping away at school employees, AFA held its ground to continue hiring and growing at 10% per year. Well, this was a big mistake because in 2010, most of the reps did not make their quota, get promotions, raises. In 2010, probation was the a common discussion and grounds of termination were in everyday discussions.

7 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0

OK place to work

Apr 4, 2014 - Sales in South Bend, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company car Pension 401 K match Gas Card Expense Account

Cons

Work life balance is dismal. Most have in excess of 60 overnights with many nearing the 100 mark. Income is technically uncapped, but management dictates your income by controlling your opportunity. Insecurity of management has limited exceptional employees and future leaders Extremely High Turnover

8 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0

Poorly managed

Jan 11, 2017 - Customer Service in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

A great place to work, if you aren't in the call center.

Cons

Understaffed, high turn over, and micromanagement. For a company that wants us to have work/life balance it is hard to make time when we are always forced to do mandatory overtime when things get busy.which is always. When a depsrtment can't pull any staff to work emails and force 5-7 hours of overtime a week there is no time for anything else.

5 people found this review helpful

Talent Management Team

As a Great Place to Work, American Fidelity Colleagues have consistently shown a dedication to our Customers and they understand the importance of serving the Customer and fulfilling our brand promise. There are times when the workload requires overtime to provide the level of service that our Customers expect. American Fidelity works to provide flexibility to our Colleagues in the Call Center with some of the options below: - Colleagues are paid above market rates - Colleagues are paid shift differential of 30% when their shift extends past 5:30 pm - Colleagues are allotted a set amount of time off phones each day in order to help balance their daily workload - Colleagues are provided a minimum of 18 days per year of Paid Personal Time - Alternate work schedules are allowed and Colleagues have the opportunity to bid for their preferred shift - We have an onsite gym, bank, medical clinic and cafe to help save Colleagues time We are extremely thankful for all of the Customer Call Center Colleagues who are committed to serve our Customers.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews