American Fidelity Assurance Company Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

American Fidelity Assurance Company Reviews

Updated Sep 26, 2019

4.2
American Fidelity Assurance Company CEO Bill Cameron (no image)
Bill Cameron
Pros
  • "Good benefits, pension, bonuses(in 12 reviews)

• "Flexible, Great Benefits, amazing training tools, corporate support(in 12 reviews)

"My Dream Job!"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Jackson, MS

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Pay Great Benefits Travel Opportunities Working with Talented Professionals who are eager to share their knowledge and sales tips Focus on our Niche Market- we customize benefits at the employee AND Employer Level to provide coverage that matches need- ALWAYS a focus on needs-based sales! Opportunity for Advancement (fairly quickly based on results) Fair and Open-Minded Executive Leadership (focus on... transparency) Consistent and top of the line training

Cons

Travel (fully disclosed in interview) may be a bit challenging for some at first until they realize that pay and benefits offset the travel. I considered the travel a great opportunity rather than a con-makes the job infinitely more interesting!

Advice to Management

Love the direction the company is headed with a renewed focus on training and transparency- stay the course! Please continue to ask for feedback- we appreciate the opportunity to help shape the direction and course of this great company!

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-09-23
  2. "State Manager"

Current Employee - State Manager in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Great benefits! Health, life, dental, vision, disability, 401(k), and many voluntary supplemental benefits. Opportunity for advancement for those who work hard and prove themselves. Company serves their customers well. Field roles are given all the tools they need to be successful and training is A+!

Cons

There are no cons to working for American Fidelity. Fantastic company for employees who are willing to work smart and keep balance in their lives.

Advice to Management

Please continue to keep customers as the primary focus of every decision made. American Fidelity was built on this concept and we should always filter every decision made and every tool at our disposal through was is best for our customer.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-09-22
  3. "GPTW"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time

Pros

American Fidelity Assurance is a great place to work with many great benefits such as on-site gym, on-site cafe, extra time off, work from home options, great health insurance and performance bonus.

Cons

None that I can think of

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-09-19
  4. "Managers lack respect for employee"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Yes you do get a car to use, that was good. Training consisted of one week on school site enrolling less then 10 teachers. No time to learn their Annuity software. Learned it on the fly in front of a customer. Not good. Traveling was more than expected. Anticapate being out of town in Redding or other location for 6 days at a time then come home to leave out on Sunday for another week. Their base is very low, 35K..., but you work 55 hours plus per week. Think it works out to $14 an hour for a seasoned experienced life agent.

Cons

The managers provided no employee handbook, nor provide what their red line rules are that could result in a termination or displinary action. When it happens there is no communication on the issue or problem, then you are placed on unpaid leave. Not even an email, text or letter of what happened to justify their actions. So expect to be thrown out to schools with little guidence, expectation, nor training for... $14 an hour.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-09-26

"Fair"

Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. No doubt, AF has done a fabulous job attracting good people and keeping them with the pay/benefits. Superior colleagues to work with because of stringent hiring process.

Cons

Culture. Unfortunately, AF has lost its way in putting profits ahead of clients/colleagues. Often times, scheduling is a disaster as things are determined last minute in the field. Which means work/life balance is difficult. Important to this role as the job itself is taxing and involves travel. That plus unnecessary increases in annual quota ensuring a cut in pay to benefit the company's bottom line.

Advice to Management

Allow more freedom and flexibility in the hands of the colleague. Place value on building and retaining relationships not profits only.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-09-14
  6. "Representative"

Current Employee - Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work Lots f opportunity

Cons

Lots of work Overtime Not good work life balance

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-09-13
  7. "Flexible"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a very flexible job.

Cons

There are no cons for this company.

Advice to Management

None

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-07-17

"Inconsistent HR, AF values, and AF leadership model"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pension for tenured Colleagues (no longer provided to new Colleagues), fitness center, walking and fitness courts, new furniture/building, work flexibility

Cons

The benefit to being in Oklahoma is that American Fidelity can fire you for any reason except where protected under law with no explanation. It is a right to work state and you have no protection against it. In my time, I had no bad performance reviews, no verbal warnings, no write-ups (one regarding social media policy years ago but not related to reasons for being terminated), and no performance/improvement... plan(s). I was terminated for "inappropriate communication and disrespect for leadership" without any previous coaching or mentoring regarding the issue. American Fidelity's first value is being Always Fair. This is not the reality in many circumstances but I will only share my anecdote here. I met with HR because I was concerned with my desire to ask a question. A great Place to Work survey returned with results that 5 of the lowest scores in the IT division were all related to management. For example, two of the statements were "Promotions go to those who best deserve them" and "Managers avoid playing favorites." I asked the following question, "What is the leadership team doing to address the 5 lowest scores on the Great Place to Work Survey..." then listed the 5 statements. HR said I had every right and incentive to ask that question as it directly related to me as a Colleague. Senior IT management not providing a response to any plans to address these statements on the survey and preference to silence Colleagues is very concerning. It shows a lack of accountability and leadership to address difficult conversations with direct feedback from your division. HR approving the termination after approving it is dangerous. Nothing happens without HR involvement and the fact that there wasn't any conversations with HR, warnings, etc. is worrisome for existing and new Colleagues looking for a fair place to work. Reasons 2 - 6 had no particular examples and HR would not provide them to me as I was no longer a Colleague and they were proprietary documents. Reason 7: seemingly doesn't respond to or attempt to incorporate coaching provided to improve behavior and instead reacts to unprofessional ways in regards to coaching. I did not receive any coaching from my manager and admittedly is not “that kind of manager” at one point I had 1on1s with that a senior manager before I was told to "discontinue the 1on1s because I was not a leader anymore and needed to stop doing leadership things." AF would rather have the business fail or on-board the new manager slower if it meant I could be micromanaged. It would be beneficial to those managers that management communicated decisions so the management team would not be so dysfunctional. As a leader in the organization and my time as a Colleague facing support role, I maintained a positive reputation in other divisions, managers, and teams. I experienced many successes in my short career at American Fidelity and my termination was a shock to a majority of people. Managers in IT, IT Colleagues, and a hundred other Colleagues reached out to me in complete disbelief as I confirmed my displacement. Lastly, when the unemployment office reached out to American Fidelity, they stated that there were no documented infractions and could not dispute the unemployment claim. In my experience, this is rare at American Fidelity to not fight against unemployment claims but they admitted they had nothing to stand on. Again, this is concerning for any potential candidates and current Colleagues in any role.

Advice to Management

I urge you to stop promoting managers that only appear to lead because this has facilitated top talent (not I) with higher potential to leave the organization. Instead prioritize hiring leaders in the organization. I challenge you to see how many can list and/or even explain the AF leadership model. It is not being followed in some instances, especially, in the IT management area (not all) and should increase the... required training for management across the organization. I don't believe that American Fidelity is better having Colleagues staying in line, devaluing continuous improvement (even when it is uncomfortable), and avoiding crucial conversations. I wish you all the best. I truly miss many aspects of the organization and the people there. I never expected to be terminated and was naive to believe there were baselines for fairness and empathy of Colleagues. It took my departure to see some of my own faults that I can take with me on future opportunities.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-07-21

"Great training, horrible management, high turnover, and questionable business model."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

You will receive the latest and greatest in training and technology. Currently it is centered around Salesforce, and Gartner's Challenger sales method. The compensation is above industry average as well.

Cons

Major structural flaws that management has no interest in changing. The company markets the account manager position as unbiased benefits consultant to the school districts. However solutions you recommend need to include AF products if you want to proceed. Overall the position and company are a tragedy, there is a real need for benefits education in the school system. Unfortunately the model they use just funnels... money back to the company's owner Bill Cameron. Who happens to be the 103rd richest person in the world.

Advice to Management

Focus on paying out claims to educators rather than pilling on unnecessary products. It will be impossible to hit the targets for growth and profitability, while performing the necessary reforms. Not changing will result in states moving away from this model. Look at the changes in Washington State as an example.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-08-06

"Too much travel"

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

In Colorado you got to travel the state on the company dime.

Cons

Way too much travel depending on where you live. I traveled probably 80% and the demanded more. On top of that the work load is insane. This isn’t a long term career option in this state.

Advice to Management

Focus more on employee retention rather than numbers

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-07-07