Alberta Cancer Board Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Alberta Cancer Board Reviews

Updated Jun 20, 2013

Found 4 reviews

2.7
Alberta Cancer Board CEO Linda Mickelson (no image)
Linda Mickelson
  1. "A work atmosphere , but limited growth"

Technical (Non-patient) in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Alberta Cancer Board

Pros

A very caring and understanding environment. Good work life balance. several community activities and ongoing staff recognition.

Cons

the bureaucratic aspect of internal resource management limits job growth and efficiency gains. Unions and policies restrict 'out of the box' thinking You had better be OK, with working around terminally ill patients on a regular basis - this can get depressing.

Advice to Management

Be cautious about turning away some of the brightest and most ambitious employees due to over regulation or inflexibility. Look at what the private sector is doing to attract talent, and then adapt slightly to be more open to new ideas.

Alberta Cancer Board2010-08-28
  2. "A good stepping stone for non-clinical workers"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Calgary, AB

I worked at Alberta Cancer Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, large organization, great pension plan

Cons

Now part of Alberta Health Services

Alberta Cancer Board2013-06-21
  3. "My experience was positive. My colleagues were wonderful."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Calgary, AB

I worked at Alberta Cancer Board for less than a year

Pros

My contract salary was $65 per hour for 8 hours per day, 7 days per week. Now the organization is part of Alberta Health Services

Cons

The Calgary Social Marketing leader was difficult to work with, lacked leadership skills, and was friends with her favorite employee. I was far more qualified in the field than my team leader.

Advice to Management

Don't favor some employees over others. Avoid gossiping and spreading rumors. Act professionally and handle yourself with dignity, poise, and grace. Learn as much as you can about the field in which you work. Get a master's degree and become accredited as I and others in the field have.

Alberta Cancer Board2013-06-07
  4. "Could be better and maybe it is by now"

Implementation Specialist

I have been working at Alberta Cancer Board

Pros

What the cancer board does in general is admirable. The majority of the clinical staff is a unique breed of individual as they are some of the most optimistic and positive people you will meet.

Cons

For my particular area felt management was poor and there was a general lack of motivation within the department.

Advice to Management

Close the gap between the technical and strategic management, this will help achieve IS objectives. Understand that in healthcare there is also a unique contributor to this process, the clinicians and there input is crucial to successful implementation.

Alberta Cancer Board2009-03-11