Airbnb Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.7
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Airbnb offers an amazing Work/Life balance with amazing benefits" (in 31 reviews)

• "500 in Airbnb credits per quarter, free food (breakfast/lunch/dinner), and all the cool Silicon Valley perks" (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance depends on how badly you want to succeed/advance" (in 57 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains of midsized start up" (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Senior Luxury Travel Advisor in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Senior Luxury Travel Advisor in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Airbnb (More than a year)

Pros

Love Airbnb's mission and product. They really value you here.

Cons

Sales is very competitive and stressful, but very high payout in the end if you work hard.

2. "Airbnb Independent Contractor"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Toronto, ON

I worked at Airbnb (More than a year)

Pros

Good support and resolution team

Cons

The website platform often is extremely quirky

Advice to Management

Remove obvious scammers poor reviews

3. "Power Hungry"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

- Great employees
    - Good benefits

Cons

- Lack of work life balance. GES role, you are expected to work evenings and weekends. Failure to do so results in poor performance results
    - Low salary
    - Unrealistic expectations set with limited resources provided to succeed
    - The leadership team is not aligned and have a limited understanding of the product
    - Departments are not aligned, everyone has their own agenda
    - Lack of career development opportunities
    - Favouritism, plays a role in promotions
    - Negative work environment as a result of poor leadership
    - Leadership fails to exemplify the Core Values

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and do not expect them to work over-time to succeed. Reevaluate goals and align with the employees to ensure that they are "SMART". Provide them withe the right tools and resources to succeed.

"Great Benefits but Surprisingly Disorganized"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

Great benefits and inclusive environment. A lot of training offered and the chance to share experiences outside of the regular scope of the day to day job.

Cons

Unfair distribution of wages across offices and often disorganized in terms of planning for the future, especially for such an established company.

Advice to Management

Please work to level and pay employees amounts that make sense and are competitive with the head office of the company. Also, please work on communicating major changes ahead of time so not to surprise employees when a major change is made.

5. "Great company but avoid guest facing roles"

Current Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great work environment. The offices are great and the people that work there are young and fun
    - Many benefits such as airbnb credits and more vacation days compared to most north american companies
    -Great culture and values
    -Good food
    - Free gym

Cons

Guest facing roles are under a lot of pressure and face high goals. The systems that are in place often limit us from performing as well as expected and this is rarely taken into consideration. Schedules can be quite inconvenient as well but there is an effort to improve them. Goals tend to be unrealistic and only few can meet them. All in all there is a lot of changes that will on the long term help improve the situation for guest facing employees (better systems are being put in place, schedules are slowly getting steadier) but this might be to the detriment of the start up feel of the company.

6. "Maelstrom of Rainbows"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly working environment, good travel perks

Cons

Very fast pace environment that is constantly changing with an overtime expectation. Work life balance depends on how badly you want to succeed/advance

Advice to Management

None. They do the best they can.

"Any department but guest facing"

Current Employee - Villa Specialist in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Villa Specialist in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great insurance, food, shuttle, Airbnb credit. Holiday vacation+ 15 days+ sick days.

Cons

Micro management is terrible, really hard goals to achieve. You will always take your work home if you want to achieve your goals or get to 85% to them. Commission payout is unfair and not clear, when you challenge you have no answer and if you do there is nothing to review, they won’t review your claim. People who are “successful” sellers don’t take more than a week vacation, they are online 24/7 so no life-work balance. Team leads (not all) won’t answer you promptly and will be there only when then month is about to end and you need to close bookings. Things are getting better with Airbnb but it feels a lot like Luxury Retreats problems are hard to eradicate. Internal software has so many issues that sometimes you can’t work.

Advice to Management

Your employees are not robots treat them like humans. Answer to them be for them not only when is about a sale.

8. "Good benefits, but not much else"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

Time off, health insurance, free gym, cafeteria, travel credits.

Cons

The Montreal office is terribly mismanaged. Very little focus on managing and mentoring their people. They throw young and inexperienced employees into sink or swim management positions, where they often sink. The Airbnb transition has been particularly rocky for staff, guests and partners. Mismanaged payments, shoehorned new policies, miscommunication from the SF office. Airbnb really demands that you drink the kool-aid, but they offer very little to back up all the talk of "values" and "belonging". And the pay is really low.

"Finally, an acquisition done right!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great health benefits and time off for maternity/paternity
    -Annual travel credit on Airbnb
    -Good training program
    -Access to brilliant minds
    -Beautiful office and cutting-edge tools
    -Supportive HR team that has real power
    -Stock (real stock, not Stock Options)
    -Incredible food (not free, but heavily subsidized so that it is affordable)
    -Time off policies that makes sense for people with families
    -Shuttle to and from metro with a fantastic driver
    -Mentorship and growth opportunities abound
    -The support teams (IT, Project coordinators, overnight phone support team) are extremely capable

I came to Luxury Retreats just after the company was acquired by Airbnb. I was nervous about being at a new role in a very transitionary time, but I can truthfully say that every new thing Airbnb introduces makes life better and work easier here. From simple things like upgrading the wifi speed and renovating a much better office space, to major changes like much better healthcare and travel perks, everything keeps getting better.

The HR (Employee Experience) team in particular deserves commendation for their part in this process. They completely redesigned the interview process and made it much more difficult for people to get hired strictly because they "knew the right people." Nepotism exists in some capacity at every company and here is no exception, but there is significantly less of that bias than before due to the new interview process.

Moreover, the Employee Experience team did a great job developing a team that has real power. In previous jobs, when I've had an issue with a manager or coworker, "going to HR" has been at best a waste of my time, and at worst made the situation more stressful. From my conversations with coworkers, I know that the EX team has resolved conflicts in respectful, expedient ways. They're much better than a traditional HR department, and that is to say nothing of the Benefits/Payroll team which has done an incredible job hooking up every Full Time Employee with stock in the company and much better benefits packages.

It remains to be seen how Luxury Retreats' inventory and processes will integrate with Airbnb, but so far, so good. I feel challenged and appropriately compensated for my work here.

Cons

-Guest-facing work can be exhausting, especially for people new to the industry
    -Commute can be difficult depending on where one is coming from
    -Not impossible, but difficult goals to hit (especially in guest-facing roles)
    -Legacy (pre-acquisition) software and processes, although being phased out, are frustrating to use.

Nowhere is perfect, but Airbnb is pretty close. There are several old software tools and processes that made sense in 1999 but do not make sense in 2018. I give the IT team credit where it is due, and we are generally relying on these old programs less and less. However, the guest-facing teams are often required to use them and that can be very frustrating. They are slow, poorly-designed, and difficult to read.

The sales team in particular (Villa Specialists) work very long and at times unorthodox hours (especially newer hires), with very difficult sales goals. That means that while not officially encouraged, many Villa Specialists end up taking their work home with them. I know the sales management is working on this and have seen some improvements, but it's still something to be aware of.

Guest-facing roles can be extremely stressful for those who are not accustomed to working with very wealthy people. Most guests are perfectly pleasant people, but the stress of working with huge amounts of money can be very difficult.

All told, it's not so much that the work is hard. However, it does require tremendous focus and can be draining. I got lucky in that my manager is extremely supportive and understanding. However, not all managers are created equal, and if I had someone less supportive, I am certain the pressures of this job would get to me. Thankfully, that is not my case, nor is it the case of most people I know here.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest and innovate re: your Employee Experience department. The people who work in that team have made working here (which can be stressful) significantly less so.

This place is beginning to feel like "The Montreal Office of Airbnb" as opposed to an amputated business. Keep up what you're doing and continue to innovate.

More information sessions on the implications of stock ownership!

10. "Great Place to Start Working"

Pros

Amazing Company culture and they really try to train you

Cons

Nothing for the moment, would highly recommend