Airbnb Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.9
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "work life balance is reasonable" (in 25 reviews)

• "Great benefits from free food and drinks" (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "But work/life balance is possible" (in 56 reviews)

• "Typical growing pains of midsized start up" (in 31 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Start Working"

Pros

Amazing Company culture and they really try to train you

Cons

Nothing for the moment, would highly recommend

2. "Finally, an acquisition done right!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great health benefits and time off for maternity/paternity
    -Annual travel credit on Airbnb
    -Good training program
    -Access to brilliant minds
    -Beautiful office and cutting-edge tools
    -Supportive HR team that has real power
    -Stock (real stock, not Stock Options)
    -Incredible food (not free, but heavily subsidized so that it is affordable)
    -Time off policies that makes sense for people with families
    -Shuttle to and from metro with a fantastic driver
    -Mentorship and growth opportunities abound
    -The support teams (IT, Project coordinators, overnight phone support team) are extremely capable

I came to Luxury Retreats just after the company was acquired by Airbnb. I was nervous about being at a new role in a very transitionary time, but I can truthfully say that every new thing Airbnb introduces makes life better and work easier here. From simple things like upgrading the wifi speed and renovating a much better office space, to major changes like much better healthcare and travel perks, everything keeps getting better.

The HR (Employee Experience) team in particular deserves commendation for their part in this process. They completely redesigned the interview process and made it much more difficult for people to get hired strictly because they "knew the right people." Nepotism exists in some capacity at every company and here is no exception, but there is significantly less of that bias than before due to the new interview process.

Moreover, the Employee Experience team did a great job developing a team that has real power. In previous jobs, when I've had an issue with a manager or coworker, "going to HR" has been at best a waste of my time, and at worst made the situation more stressful. From my conversations with coworkers, I know that the EX team has resolved conflicts in respectful, expedient ways. They're much better than a traditional HR department, and that is to say nothing of the Benefits/Payroll team which has done an incredible job hooking up every Full Time Employee with stock in the company and much better benefits packages.

It remains to be seen how Luxury Retreats' inventory and processes will integrate with Airbnb, but so far, so good. I feel challenged and appropriately compensated for my work here.

Cons

-Guest-facing work can be exhausting, especially for people new to the industry
    -Commute can be difficult depending on where one is coming from
    -Not impossible, but difficult goals to hit (especially in guest-facing roles)
    -Legacy (pre-acquisition) software and processes, although being phased out, are frustrating to use.

Nowhere is perfect, but Airbnb is pretty close. There are several old software tools and processes that made sense in 1999 but do not make sense in 2018. I give the IT team credit where it is due, and we are generally relying on these old programs less and less. However, the guest-facing teams are often required to use them and that can be very frustrating. They are slow, poorly-designed, and difficult to read.

The sales team in particular (Villa Specialists) work very long and at times unorthodox hours (especially newer hires), with very difficult sales goals. That means that while not officially encouraged, many Villa Specialists end up taking their work home with them. I know the sales management is working on this and have seen some improvements, but it's still something to be aware of.

Guest-facing roles can be extremely stressful for those who are not accustomed to working with very wealthy people. Most guests are perfectly pleasant people, but the stress of working with huge amounts of money can be very difficult.

All told, it's not so much that the work is hard. However, it does require tremendous focus and can be draining. I got lucky in that my manager is extremely supportive and understanding. However, not all managers are created equal, and if I had someone less supportive, I am certain the pressures of this job would get to me. Thankfully, that is not my case, nor is it the case of most people I know here.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest and innovate re: your Employee Experience department. The people who work in that team have made working here (which can be stressful) significantly less so.

This place is beginning to feel like "The Montreal Office of Airbnb" as opposed to an amputated business. Keep up what you're doing and continue to innovate.

More information sessions on the implications of stock ownership!

3. "awesome"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

core values, hours, food atmosphere

Cons

salary, location. thats about all i think

Advice to Management

n/a a

4. "Senior Guest experience specialist at LR"

Former Employee - Guest Experience in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Guest Experience in Montreal, QC

I worked at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work space and nice cafe. Everyone is young and motivated! Nice gym and AirBnB perks. Guest experience teams have so many black out dates that it is extremely hard to take vacation time.

Cons

Location is quite remote. LR offers a shuttle services that is almost never on time in winter (-30 Montreal winters) Salaries are very low and it feels they only promote internally based on who you know or you likes you more than your skills or career achievements. CEO family members hold high and very well paid management positions.

Advice to Management

Promote internally more and get rid of the current LR HR team as they are not very professional. I didn't even have an exit interview... The HR specialist forgot about it and rescheduled twice...

Impersonal CEO. He only takes to the managers not to the regular employers.

5. "Best Job Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Airbnb takes care of their own. Flexible

Cons

None. Absolutely none that I can think of

6. "Employee Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong culture, great people, great space and physical environment, global, entrepreneurial, creative, mission driven

Cons

Disorganized, complicated matrix, young and inexperienced leadership

Advice to Management

Invest more in experienced and mature leaders, brand health and minority staff.

7. "Great place to work - very transformative. Take note about limited career growth though."

Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Airbnb (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. They're genuinely committed to the mission - 'belonging' is referenced in every aspect.
    2. You get to work with high calibre, intelligent and passionate people and will be learning so much from everyone you meet from all walks of life. People are also open to sharing their expertise.
    3. Great culture - you meet people for the first time but felt like you've known people forever. Diversity of people and thought is encouraged!
    4. Perks are pretty good - beautiful offices, travel coupons, good healthcare, healthy food for breakfast and lunch every day.

Cons

1. Messy, especially currently with them cleaning up to prepare for what feels like an IPO. Short term perspective versus their previous longer term approach.
    2. Growth - not much room for career growth at mid level management when you are not based in SF. You'll be stuck in your position for a long time, and they'll keep hiring people over you with glamorous resumes over taking a chance on existing talent.
    3. Very American, SF centric company, so you need to constantly remind teams to look beyond the tech bubble to truly be a global company. People are open to reminders, though!

"Excited for our IPO"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

-New bonus program
    -Pre-IPO, but obvious plans and goals to IPO
    -Leadership team that is taking our feedback seriously
    -Excited about our growth
    -Flexibility (WFH, no micromanagement)
    -Great perks & benefits

Cons

Honestly, we're a growing, pre-IPO company. It's what you'd expect. We have a lot to learn but people seem to be accountable and care, and that's what matters.

"Love working here!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Airbnb (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working here. The culture is amazing, the pay is great, and I couldn't ask for a better team. As a recruiter I get treated as a partner rather than a subordinate, which is empowering and helps me to get things done.

Cons

Things change quickly, and leadership isn't always transparent. That could be frustrating for some who want to be in the know and crave a steady work environment, but the company is still small and growing quickly so this certainly meets my own expectations.

Advice to Management

Please be more transparent, when possible. Senior leadership in my org in particular has shown a lack of attention/communication.

"Non-technical role: lots to be desired"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fast-paced
    - Decent comp
    - Good food
    - Beautiful offices

Cons

- Decision-makers unclear and unaccountable
    - No clear advancement opportunities
    - #toomanytolist

Advice to Management

This used to be a fun place to work, but we are long past the time when decision-making and authority can rest with a disorganized group of folks at all levels. Tough decisions need to be made and carried out, rather than letting a clique of favored insiders continue to call the shots. Poisonous managers need to be purged, communication about priorities and org structure need to be more widely and more regularly shared, and people who are good collaborators need to be rewarded.