Aimco Apartment Homes Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 19, 2020

Found 46 of over 439 reviews

3.9
Aimco Apartment Homes Chairman, President, and CEO Terry Considine
Terry Considine
Pros
  • "Through internal courses and being reimbursed for outside courses contributing to my professional growth the investment in team members is evident(in 18 reviews)

• "Great company for learning and career growth(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The work life balance is sometimes tough and you can get overwhelmed(in 30 reviews)

• "Upper management does not listen to concerns about your property(in 26 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Does Aimco's values align with your values?

Nov 16, 2020 - Manager in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will work with some of the most incredible people during your time with Aimco and feel that you are all in it together (until you can no longer drink the Aimco Kool-Aid.) Any job at Aimco you will gain experience and skills that will strength your resume and up skill you for the next opportunity.

Cons

It is true that Aimco is not for everyone. It is an amazing culture if you put in the time and sacrifice for the company. Lack of work life balance. Ask anyone you interview with at Aimco how many hours they work a week... Don't get trapped based on your total compensation package (not benefits - lacking). Layoffs are year-around as it is how they manage their budget and how senior management maximizes their bonus potential.

HR Team Member

Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We see that you are a former Aimco team member and we thank you for your contributions. We’re happy to hear that you thought Aimco was a great company for learning and growth, and that you loved your teammates. We are, however, disappointed to hear your concerns regarding work-life balance. We would be very interested in speaking to your further about your experience. Please consider reaching out to us at YourVoice@Aimco.com so that we can discuss your concerns more deeply.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Do Not Work Here

Nov 19, 2020 - Operations in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Due to the company downsizing and laying off employees right before the holidays typically, they give the remaining employees raises.

Cons

No work-life balance or as how they call it ‘work life integration’, working 24/7, terrible 401k match, high insurance premiums, little PTO which you end up working anyways, oh and LAYOFFS!! They keep only those who are the best koolaid drinkers and once they are done with you, no matter how much you have sacrificed for the company, you are laid off. And the best part about this is that they layoff employees RIGHT BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS! Enjoy the holidays applying for unemployment benefits.

5 people found this review helpful

HR Team Member

Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us as we do appreciate all the feedback that we receive. Aimco is mission driven – defined by serving customers, building careers, and rewarding investors. Our goals are high, and to achieve them, we have to be disciplined and, sometimes, make hard decisions. Our leadership has determined that we can better advance our mission by separating Aimco into two businesses so that each is more focused and simpler to understand. In preparation for the launch of these two new businesses, we had to review what we do to identify work that is no longer required or can be accomplished in a different way. For an important number of dear friends and respected teammates, this means that their positions are no longer required. Hearing this news is never easy. It’s important to remember they will remain respected and valued Aimco teammates into next year. In telling impacted teammates now, we’re hoping we can better prepare them for their future roles. From now until their last day in 2021, our team is committed to assisting with an abundance of support. We would be very interested in speaking to you further about your experience. Please consider reaching out to us at YourVoice@Aimco.com so that we can discuss your concerns more deeply.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Overall a good place to work

Jun 10, 2020 - Property Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Worked with some great people, benefits/pay are good. Really a good experience overall as I worked my way up from Leasing to Asst Manager to manager.

Cons

The work life balance is sometimes tough and you can get overwhelmed

HR Team Member

Hi and thank you for sharing your experience with us. We see that you were a loyal Aimco team member and we appreciate your years of service! We’re thrilled to hear you took advantage of Aimco’s jungle gym culture; we love helping our team members advance their careers! As an owner and operator of apartment homes, our business is 24/7. We do, however, strive to provide our team members with work-life integration. We appreciate your thoughts regarding on-site decisions, and will pass along your advice to management and to our senior leaders. If there is anything further you'd like to share with us now or in the future, please reach out at YourVoice@Aimco.com.Aimco.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Pay, Expendable Employees

Jun 12, 2020 - Community Manager in Oceanside, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Highly compensated. That is all.

Cons

Work-life balance is impossible, not allowed OT but also pressured to complete more tasks than humanly possible, Undervalued by the district level and up.

HR Team Member

Hi, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences as an Aimco team member. While we are happy to hear that you felt well compensated during your time with us, we never like to hear that a former team member has had a negative experience. We appreciate your thoughts and advice to the management. We always try to provide our team members with support and work-life balance, knowing that our industry is one that operates 24/7/365. Providing our team members with an environment that is supportive to ensure they have the means to do their jobs well is a top priority at Aimco. Every effort is made to schedule work in accordance with current requirements and staffing capacities, including overtime. We’d appreciate hearing more details about your experiences – we’re always trying to get better. Please email us at YourVoice@Aimco.com.

5. 5.0

Great Culture - Energetic, Engaged and Collaborative

Dec 23, 2019 - Accountant in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really love the direction the accounting department is going. Due to some relocation/restructuring of accounting there are some new positions and people in the Denver accounting department. The team is energetic, engaged and collaborative. Accounting leadership is approachable and treat the team like we matter and are an important part of the company. Culture is fun and upbeat, new office space with amazing views and flexible work schedule that gives a good work/life balance.

Cons

The employer contribution to 401K is low. Can only roll over 40 hours of vacation accrual at year-end which can limit vacations the first half of the year.

Talent Manager, Human Resources

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We're so glad to hear that your team is engaged, energetic, and collaborative. That is what we strive for at Aimco - and it makes all the difference in the world to come to work on a team like that. We're also excited to hear that you're enjoying the new Denver corporate office space. Thank you for your feedback on the 401K and vacation - we will share your feedback directly with our benefits team. If you have anything else you'd like to share with us, please reach out at YourVoice@Aimco.com. We're hear to listen!

6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Beware of the Facade!!!

Dec 6, 2019 - Financial Analyst in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

-New office -Free coffee -Nice views from office

Cons

Beware of this company if you are a finance professional. Not only do they refuse to invest in tools to complete your job properly they do not utilize industry standard tools. There is no accountability and sadly it all falls on the analyst to explain why each department fails to meet their budgets. If you lack professional experience, this might be a good place for you to work. If you have multiple years of professional experience you will find this company lacking in many areas. If you like being micro-managed by supervisors who lack vision and management experience, this could be your dream job. Benefits have been reduced every year for multiple consecutive years. The turnover is high and will effect your work/life balance.

Talent Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We see that you’re still an Aimco team member in Denver and we highly suggest that you come and talk with your HR Business Partner. What you’re describing is not who Aimco strives to be. We’re here to help and listen, so please reach out. If you need help contacting your Business Partner or aren’t sure who to talk with, reach out to us at YourVoice@Aimco.com and we can assist.

7. 5.0

Go Team AIMCO!

May 9, 2019 - Corporate Accountant in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a company that means what they say, especially in terms of corporate values. They value employees as people, are respectful of work-life balance and actually want to hear honest feedback. The best part has been the commitment to continuous training and improvement. I have grown personally and technically working at AIMCO.

Cons

The corporate office space is built around community, which is great for collaboration, but not so great for heads-down grinding it out.

Human Resources

Hello there! Thanks for sharing your great feedback with us. We're so excited that you're happy in your role at Aimco! We absolutely strive to do all of the things you're describing in your Pros and were happy to know you feel respected and valued. Aimco's new corporate office space is definitely built around community! We appreciate your feedback and will share this with our team. While it's still being built out - we know that there are planned areas for quiet, heads-down time and we hope you're able to utilize this. Thanks again and if you have any other feedback, please email us at YourVoice@Aimco.com.

8. 5.0

Associate Manager

Aug 19, 2018 - Associate Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work life balance - Professional development - Opportunities for career growth - Commission opportunities - Successful on-boarding experience - Given all the tools/resources to succeed - Two consecutive days off - Strong culture and values

Cons

- Will work weekends

Talent Management

Hi there and wow! Thanks for sharing your happy feedback with us. It makes our day when we hear that one of our team members is feeling super positive and excited about their role at Aimco! We truly strive to provide all of our team members with the many items that you listed, like work-life balance, professional development, etc. We notice that you listed working weekends on the cons, and yes, that is a part of our operation, as the housing industry is a 365 day, 24/7, operation to be there for our residents. We're so glad to hear that you have a positive outlook and would recommend others to work here - did you know that we love team member recommendations? Let us know if we can assist in any other way or if you have any additional feedback by emailing us at YourVoice@Aimco.com.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Truly Do Not Value Their People or Assets

Apr 27, 2018 - Community Manager in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Training Material and Facilitators Are Excellent The Pay Career Opportunities

Cons

Great training but they don't enforce or support it; They tell you to create "Moments That Matter" but put ducktape on that hot water heater Excellent pay because they have unrealistic expectations of you; You have to pay obscene salaries because your life will no longer be your own Plenty of career opportunities because its a revolving door; Their retention rate is the WORSE. One manager quit via a post-it and another who relocated from Atlanta, called from the road on his way back to Atlanta. They Do Not Value Their People; The Employees are escape goats and pawns for corporate mistakes No work/life balance; 10-11pm emails and phone calls that aren't emergencies They believe in patch work, not permanent fixes; They do not take care of their assets Roaches, Rats, and Roof Leaks-One of the properties I managed for them had ongoing issues with all three of these things, long before I got there and they never wanted to find a solution

5 people found this review helpful

Talent Management

Hello and thanks for sharing your experience as a team member at Aimco. We’re happy to hear that you benefited from the excellent training Aimco provides, your great pay, and the career opportunities available to you. We are disappointed to hear that your other experiences with Aimco were problematic. You’re correct that Aimco promotes creating “Moments that Matter” for people, and that includes our residents AND our co-team members. We strive to provide our team members with an environment that is supportive, holding team members accountable for their actions, but ensuring they have the means to do their jobs well. We’d appreciate hearing more details so that we can look into the other issues you described – we’re always trying to get better. Please email us at YourVoice@Aimco.com.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee

Anonymous

Apr 17, 2018 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Also offers amazing housing benefits. All properties in ideal locations to rent. Also offers competitive leasing commissions.

Cons

Upper Management provides no support. No work life balance. Most of the properties are rundown and they do nothing to update. Horrible leadership...

Talent Management

Hi and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We’re happy that you were able to take advantage of the great pay and benefits, along with the amazing housing benefits Aimco’s team members are offered. We strive to provide our team members with a great working environment and a healthy culture. We’re sad to hear that you felt like you didn’t receive support from your management and that you didn’t find work-life balance. Our play-fast, “owning it” culture is not for everyone, but we always try to provide our team members with support and work-life balance, knowing that our industry is one that operates 24/7/365. As far as our communities go, we have a large and diverse portfolio that primarily focuses on B/B+ quality apartment homes, with numerous specialties, including luxury apartments, university communities, senior housing, low-income, and Section 8. We can’t tell where you worked with Aimco, or how long ago you worked with us so we would love to talk with you further about your concerns. Please reach out to us at YourVoice@Aimco.com so we can better understand.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 46 Reviews