ActiveState Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

ActiveState Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2019

5.0
ActiveState CEO Bart Copeland (no image)
Bart Copeland
  1. "Top tech company fun place to work"

Former Employee - Public Relations Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ActiveState full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Proven global leader in open source language solutions -Great work life balance and it's fun working there -Effective approachable senior management and awesome CEO -Kind colleagues -Well-run with purpose and vision -Great benefits and review process -Strong learning opportunities

Cons

Suggestion to senior management is to keep doing what you're doing

Advice to Management

Especially keep up with the learning opportunities such as lunch and learn and more. It's such a great way for colleagues across the organization to have fun learning and connect more on developing solutions.

ActiveState2019-07-30
  2. "Legit Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ActiveState full-time for less than a year

Pros

When I first considered joining ActiveState, I was very skeptical about their 5-star rating but they gained my trust very quickly. ActiveState is seriously the best company I have ever worked at because management have a direction and they know how to get there. Also, the employees are some of the best people ever and it is an absolute privilege to work with them. - Good Compensation - Stocked Fridge - Tight... Knit Team - Stocked Fridge

Cons

No cons - there is nothing I would change.

ActiveState2019-03-21
  3. "A Lot to Get Excited About"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ActiveState full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Genuine people and friendly work environment * Very transparent with good communication around expectations, goals, responsibilities * Lots of great perks like a bonus system, stock options, health credits, Friday lunches and social events * The company acknowledges and awards excellence * Great importance placed on hiring for cultural fit so retention is good and morale remains high * Lots of talented... individuals working on cutting-edge tech

Cons

* Could be some improvement in interdepartmental communication

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Continue to focus on hiring the right people and making sure everyone feels valued.

ActiveState2018-07-06

ActiveState Response

September 18, 2018Demand Generation Manager

We would welcome any new ideas that would help with more open communication within our office. People and transparency are a huge focus for us at ActiveState! We want our employees to feel valued and be rewarded for their contributions, while they work on exciting new tech developments.

"Great company if work culture is your focus"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ActiveState full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company has a great working culture compared to any I have worked at.

Cons

Small company so there is little room for upward growth. They seem to hire new management from outside before looking internally.

ActiveState2018-02-14

ActiveState Response

September 20, 2018Demand Generation Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we are very proud of the culture that we have fostered at ActiveState. We like to consider internal applicants and have filled positions with internal candidates when there's a match in skills and experience.

5. "Highly Recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ActiveState full-time for less than a year

Pros

Totally open atmosphere, shrewd management, company really acres about their employees.

Cons

Well maybe some people don't like to work downtown....

ActiveState2017-08-24
  6. "Sr. Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ActiveState full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast moving, innovative company. Fantastic group of people to work with.

Cons

Almost zero cons to working at ActiveState.

ActiveState2016-02-08
  7. "An incredible place to work and feel valued"

in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ActiveState

Pros

-Great management -Employees are encouraged to try new ideas and made to feel empowered -Everyone is treated as adults and not micro-managed -Employees feel valued -Transparency across the board -Fun work environment

Cons

Can't think of anything negative to say. This is a rock solid company to work for.

Advice to Management

Nothing, the company is well run and the projects continue to flow. This is a great place to work and feel valued.

ActiveState2015-10-28
  8. "Smart, motivated co-workers plus innovative product equals great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Management/Marketing Department in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ActiveState full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part of working here is being surrounded by really smart people who have literally written the book on various technical topics. Combine that with working on an innovative product (Stackato) in a cutting edge space and a management team that encourages experimentation and you have a perfect environment to excel.

Cons

There is honestly no much bad to say. The company is growing quickly, so space is a concern. This is being addressed though.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what we're doing and keep investing in growing the company.

ActiveState2014-08-15
  9. "great place to work"

Web Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ActiveState

Pros

the team is great, very knowledgeable

Cons

limited resources makes for inefficient context switching

Advice to Management

less change for the sake of change. the site has taken a turn for the worse. no change would have been better than this

ActiveState2009-01-22
  10. "Best employer I've ever had"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer, Team Lead

I have been working at ActiveState full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a lot to like about ActiveState, but the most important factor in all of it is that we have a really good upper management team, starting with the CEO. If you have questions or concerns, they are always available to hear them and they respond well. If they don't know the answer immediately they will tell you so and set a date for future updates ("I'll look into this and get back to you by next Friday"). A... good example is that soon after I was hired I realized they did not have a 401k plan set up for US employees. This wasn't anything malicious, it was simply because no other US employees had asked for one and most of the staff, including the CEO, are in Vancouver, BC. The folks who would be in charge of this simply weren't familiar with how these work or why they were necessary. I had just assumed they had a 401k plan and so finding out was a big deal for me. The CEO took my concerns seriously and kept me up to date while he and the VP of Finance looked into this. And now we have a 401k plan for US employees. There have been other issues I've had since that time and they've always been handled in the same way. I get a clear response from the executives and updates as needed. I don't always get what I want but that's to be expected. Another really nice thing about working here is that it's a small company where you can have a lot of influence on the things you care about. For example, I didn't like our open source contribution policy. When I brought this to the CTO he asked me to write up a new policy that I would like better. I drafted one and worked with the CTO to refine it. Then we brought it to the CEO and we're working to finalize the details before putting it into place. The culture here is very positive. It's mature but still fun, with good communication and very little politics. I expect everyone to act like an adult and they do. The final thing I'll note is that work/life balance is well respected here. One quarter someone on my team ended up working a lot of extra hours to meet some customer obligations. While he was praised for being willing to do this the CEO also wanted to know _why_ that was necessary at all. His goal was to make sure we could avoid this in the future rather than making this sort of heroic effort the norm.

Cons

Right now (April, 2019) we're in flux as we move towards a new product, which has us moving from a mostly Enterprise-focused sales model towards a SaaS product aimed at a much larger userbase. This leads to a bit of chaos (but not a lot), which I expect to settle down as the product matures and our userbase grows. There are other things that aren't perfect. Sometimes deciding on things that cost a non-trivial... amounts of money can take too long. We could use more staff in some areas of the company. And so on and so forth. But I don't think any company is going to be perfect in every area, and I can deal with the parts of ActiveState that aren't perfect.

Advice to Management

Mostly keep doing what you're doing. As long as you're open to feedback and willing to discuss problems as they're raised I think any of our current problems can be fixed.

ActiveState2019-04-12