Abebooks Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Abebooks Reviews

Updated Mar 21, 2019

Found 22 reviews

3.6
Abebooks CEO Arkady Vitrouk (no image)
Arkady Vitrouk

"Blends the best of Startup culture with big-company benefits"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Abebooks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

With a little over 100 employees in Victoria, AbeBooks feels like a small company. It's possible to know everyone in the office, and social events still involve the whole group. While Amazon does own AbeBooks, and there is clear influence on its culture, AbeBooks remains unique. In addition, having the backing of Amazon means that you have ready access to amazing amounts of talent, resources and ideas. Participating... in weekly video-broadcasts with Principal engineers from Kindle, AWS, Machine-Learning, Security and all the other teams is an incredible benefit to help developers stay current. I've worked at multiple startups (both pre- and post-IPO) and AbeBooks has the best blend of startup and established culture I've seen.

Cons

On occasion, the relationship with Amazon can create legal and policy requirements that slow things down a bit. The open floor-plan of the office can be distracting. I think I am getting fat from donut-days.

Abebooks2015-07-03
  2. "Great company, smart people, engaging work."

Current Employee - Marketing in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Abebooks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Training and career development, work with great people, nice office, good work life balance. Good communication between departments. As part of the Amazon family of companies, opportunities to collaborate with peers across the organization.

Cons

Always many competing priorities, limited choice in tools, some additional processes due to being part of a larger company.

Abebooks2015-03-03

"Senior Software Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Abebooks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good work-life balance - Nice office in a quiet location of the city - Good perks - People is general is friendly, respectful and open

Cons

- You'll have to deal with a lot of legacy code - Things move slowly. In part due old technology

Abebooks2014-11-01

"Worse and worse."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Victoria, BC

I worked at Abebooks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None, nothing, zero. I couldn't think of anything is positive. Long working hours. Low productivity. Too much pressure from work, and no creativity. If you really want to know a Pros, it would be the free juice, tea and coffee. The office building location is not bad too. You may watch the ocean view at your desk. The parking space is big. It had been a good company before 2010. I must say it's the top 2 best... company in Victoria BC before 2010.

Cons

In a colleagues lunch gathering, none of current employees or previous employees say one good thing about AbeBooks. There are too much complicated processes, and the IT management team discourages the innovation. Managers keeps changing the the organization goals, so you can not achieve your performance goal no matter how hard you strive. You just felt depressed. The hiring process is very strict. None of the... current employee can pass the interview. The company changed. Even the best loyal employee started looking for a new job.

Advice to Management

Replace the management team, to get our old flexible and family culture back. Making people identify with the company goals, agree with and support them.

Abebooks2014-02-17
  5. "Great international experience"

I worked at Abebooks full-time

Pros

The team was amazing, it was a pleasure to get to work in the morning. I appreciate the focus on personal development, even though the system was not perfect.

Cons

There were inequalities in salary.

Abebooks2019-03-21
  6. "Challenging, fast-paced environment with room to learn and grow"

I have been working at Abebooks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

AbeBooks is full of smart people across the tech and business sides of the company and working with them is fun and challenging. As an Amazon subsidiary, we have access to one of the world's most impressive companies for knowledge sharing, training, and career opportunities. RSU compensation is unbeatable in the Victoria job market.

Cons

Limited resources. Like most companies, there is an endless list of things we want to do. Getting the resources to get them done can be a challenge but we have great processes in place to help us prioritize projects and get as much done as possible with the resources we have. Getting creative and bit scrappy to get things out the door can be a fun challenge.

Advice to Management

Continue to learn from employees, seek diverse perspectives, and value inclusion.

Abebooks2019-02-22
  7. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Abebooks full-time

Pros

Coorporate benefits - Startup environment balance.

Cons

Forced to follow Amazon processes, that don´t fit with medium sized company.

Abebooks2018-10-14

"Interesting, fast-paced workplace"

I have been working at Abebooks full-time

Pros

great team and atmosphere, lots of opportunities

Cons

cross-office communication needs work, otherwise great

Abebooks2018-08-06

"Hypocrisy-filled "Amazon TECH Company" driven by a bunch of white men"

Former Employee - SDE2

I worked at Abebooks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent office, ok salary, showers in office

Cons

Not a "tech company" Pushes "...an Amazon company" a ton but actually receives no benefits from being an Amazon subsidiary Limited opportunity for growth Despite having a D&I (Diversity and Inclusion) team, upper management is comprised of 100% white male in their mid-30s to 50s Hidden factors in contract - did you know that if you leave within 2 years you need to pay back your signing bonus? Come on... Upper... management has a habit of favouritism and doing "off-sites" essentially creating a small team that's impossible to penetrate. No "AbeBooks" culture to speak of. HR is full of women.

Abebooks2017-11-28
  10. "Life at AbeBooks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Düsseldorf

I worked at Abebooks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Company culture - Team Work - Great Product - Amazon values

Cons

No negative side to share

Abebooks2017-06-30