APCO Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

APCO Worldwide Reviews

Updated 6 Aug 2019

Found 179 reviews

2.9
APCO Worldwide CEO Brad Staples (no image)
Brad Staples
Pros
  • "Flexible in holiday-taking, professional in doing business, friendly working environment(in 18 reviews)

• "The top-heavy nature of the firm made it a great place to learn from my superiors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pointless long hours and low pay is being 'compensated' by fancy gadgets, ocasional parties and the cool status of a busy consultant(in 14 reviews)

• "Very demanding clients meant that work-life balance was a challenge(in 10 reviews)

"project assistant"

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time

Pros

good work life balance cross-office collaboration young and dynamic team travel opportunity and inter-office exchange opportunoty interesting project and client types

Cons

office pliticis, a lot of women in the office and gossip around, high employee turnover, pressure to get new clients

APCO Worldwide2015-10-25
  2. "APCO"

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time

Pros

Good place to gain experience

Cons

Work culture can be an issue

APCO Worldwide2019-08-06
  3. "A great place to build your career"

Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Given the breadth of APCO's work, there are many opportunities to learn new skills, industries and issues. Leadership encourages employees to not box themselves in, push themselves and explore new territories.

Cons

To break down walls, there can be limited structure, which means you need to be a self starter to thrive.

APCO Worldwide2019-07-22
  4. "A company on the up!"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible working from home, great hard working environment and sociable. Interesting work.

Cons

Salary could be improved for those who contribute to company success, particularly at lower level.

Advice to Management

You have hired well in the last year, look after those stars before they get poached. This includes consultants and finance.

APCO Worldwide2019-07-18

"Overworked & underpaid, but learned a decent amount"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The APCO office culture is very "flat" and gives its junior staff the opportunity to grow and learn with a fairly quick promotion cycle. Compared to other agencies, the junior staff has a decent amount of responsibility. The people that work here are smart and driven, and generally are nice enough. The work is also interesting - however NY is mainly corporate comms with little public affairs (despite APCOs... reputation as a PA firm). A plus us they are totally flexible on WFH and office is closed Christmas week.

Cons

APCO works its staff to the ground and expects its employees to be available 24/7. They also pay terribly given hours the staff give to their jobs. The result is little work/life balance and a lot of tears over the grueling work. They also have a major staffing issue and teams are often staffed incorrectly.

Advice to Management

Start focusing more on your employees, their happiness, the type of work they want to be on, and improve organizational and staffing structure.

APCO Worldwide2019-07-09

July 15, 2019Talent Director, North America

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’re glad you found the work interesting and empowered by APCO’s culture. The work we do for clients is demanding, but we want to make sure everyone feels valued and heard. I would like to discuss your concerns and how we can better ...

"God people, significant leadership challenges."

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart people, good reputation in some global markets. Several long-time clients. Strong expertise in public affairs in Europe and the Middle East.

Cons

Leadership is not making good choices on business expansion, lack of investment in digital capabilities, decline in creative work, and lack of importance placed on retention of key senior staff. Financial growth has been stagnant for the last decade. Lots of turnover across all levels in the last few years and important senior people leaving in the US. CEO is in Europe and seems detached from global staff.

Advice to Management

Recognize why people hire APCO - for senior staff expertise and overall quality of work, for not having the retail tactical capabilities every agency hires or being in every market. Be smaller but better, Be nicer to people and more loyal. Be honest.

APCO Worldwide2019-07-17

"Did a design internship, was fast-paced and full of work to do but can sometimes be discombobulating."

I worked at APCO Worldwide

Pros

Great people, nice location, always something to do, organized workforce/distribution of work

Cons

Once they know you're on your way out they barely give you anything to do, sometimes overestimated knowledge of work resources

Advice to Management

Give interns more socialization opportunities, maybe provide a more thorough intro session

APCO Worldwide2019-06-24

July 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and also providing useful feedback and suggestions for how we can further improve - we really appreciate it! Alison Chisnell Global Talent Director

8. "A world of opportunities"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Dubai

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Global network Delegation of Authority Investment in talent Flexibility

Cons

Lack of positioning given what the agency is capable of

Advice to Management

It is not just about the numbers

APCO Worldwide2019-06-24

July 5, 2019

Many thanks for your feedback and all the very best for the future. Alison Chisnell Global Talent Director

"A MNC changing toward Chinalisation in Asia."

I worked at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great talents, interesting and fun people I met. Flexiblity on working in oversea offices. Team mostly with international mindset and wanting to *do the right things*

Cons

The Pros above fully disappeared after changed of certain backoffice leader in China/Asia. Everything became very mainland style New leaders enjoy sweet talk from her team Only butt kissing talents get to stay n grow A friendly environment became a very political office. Everybody wants to get a piece of cake from the mess. New hires in recent months for backoffice are real under qualified. Leader and HR overly... protected when the team complained about the incompetency of the new hire. HR randomly implemented policy to pick on certain employees that disliked by the China leaders.

Advice to Management

Please spend time to look at your Asia offices. The overpowered given to certain China managements will damage the name of Best Place to Work award to APCO. APCO Asia, is not only APCO China. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, if you want to maintain talents, please do reaccess the integrity of your China senior teammates.

APCO Worldwide2019-05-23

May 30, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I’m glad that for most of your time you have had a positive experience at APCO and I’m really sorry to hear that the transition to new leadership has been difficult for you and has changed your perception of the culture in the team ...

"Sinking Ship — Run Don’t Walk (HR abysmal)"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at APCO Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very few pros, unfortunately. At first, there was a lot to learn and the clients can be challenging. But the work is so shady and sketchy that you feel dirty getting close to it. The place can be an eye opener — in how to manipulate and distort reality. That’s a positive, right?

Cons

APCO is slowly but unmistakably sinking deeper and deeper. No leadership, no morals, no money. Their only goal, the only reason they exist, is for the financial gain of the so-called leadership. And it doesn’t matter where the money comes from. Despots, abusers of human rights, anti-gay regimes, despicable oligarchs — they’ll happily take money from ANYone. They are so completely out of touch with the times. They... have no VALUES and no PLAN. No plan for this year or next year or next week. Planning ahead is not what they’re about. . The one thing APCO had going for it was culture. That culture is dead and gone. The abysmal HR team is to blame. They’re not “HR bad” — they’re really, really bad. Like legit bad. To be around HR in Washington feels tense and angry. It’s like being around a married couple on the verge of divorce. This is not a team, you think; hell, they don’t even like each other — get me the heck outta here (and indeed so many have left...). No charisma, no leadership, no feel for the place or its people, no sense of purpose. There is even the perception that the HR team actively covers up sex and race and pay inequalities. There is absolutely no sense that HR works for a fair and equal workplace — despite any meaningless words they may throw around, despite their “programs”. Everyone thinks HR is a joke, distant and remote and that they just don’t care. And there is nothing that can change that because it is the truth. You cannot convince employees that you care when really you don’t care and you don’t even bother to talk to anyone. But what can you expect of mindless cogs without an ounce of morality or creativity or leadership?

Advice to Management

What advice can you give to PEOPLES on the Titanic? Move to the front?

APCO Worldwide2019-07-09

July 16, 2019President, North America

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. APCO’s mission, purpose and values are truly at the heart of running this company and serving our clients, and they are part of what have kept me at APCO for almost 20 years. We constantly strive to live up to them and work to instill ...

Found 179 reviews