AIG Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

AIG President & Chief Executive Officer Brian Duperreault
Brian Duperreault

2,995 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance and smart people to work with (in 255 reviews)

• Most lines of business will allow you to work from home at least once a week (in 180 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge (in 66 reviews)

• Senior management is pathetic because of its liasing with Genpact (in 92 reviews)

1. "Claims"

I worked at AIG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and learning curve

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge

2. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

30 days vacation annually, great RRSP match, lots of internal events, employee resource groups and clubs, free museum program, annual bonus in April, global job grading and salary ranges for transparency, wonderful & inspiring female CEO in Canada, great HR & Admin team, beautiful office connected to Union Station, most positions have some ability to work from home

Cons

Most of the best opportunities are in New York, long -time employee's salaries don't keep up with current market value, no annual raises or cost of living increase, annual bonus is tied to overall company performance, raises and promotions take forever to go through, most mid- high level managers are male, systems & technology are lagging behind, salary ranges are huge for same job grade and difficult to move within them

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward top performers proactively.

3. "Good Benefits"

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of vacation time
    good pension package

Cons

lots of people work from home, so dont get that work culture as much

4. "Marcomm Specialist"

I worked at AIG full-time

Pros

Systematic and efficient working place; respecting staff

Cons

Many hierarchies; having to follow procedures

5. "Fun place to work"

I have been working at AIG full-time

Pros

Employees are a lot of fun and managers are helpful

Cons

Honestly few downsides I just left because I developed passion in a different area.

"All in all an OK place to work."

Former Employee - Underwriter
    Former Employee - Underwriter

I worked at AIG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with my co-workers. The work was interesting and in my group there was a lot of support. Varied work daily. Never a day where you'd be bored. Out of all the insurance companies to work for I felt like AIG was a pretty good place to work.

Cons

Too many other tasks other than underwriting. Top heavy company although that was being overhauled. A lot of uncertainty and lay-offs. High stress job with average pay. A lot of competition within groups to perform which created a stressful environment especially for those of us who weren't necessarily "client facing" Not a lot of room to advance - at least in my area. As I said, they were trying to reduce the amount of managers. At one point we had 5 managers for a team of 5 or 6 underwriters.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do the jobs they were hired for. Stop creating so many needless tasks. Let people focus on what they're good at doing. Also, you should have never moved the admin work to the Philippines. Big mistake!

"Local countries suffer from lack of autonomy from HQ"

I worked at AIG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Canada is a growth country for AIG and being invested into and on radar of senior executives at HQ.

Cons

Dysfunctinonal. Not a lot of local country autonomy.

"AIG"

Pros

Good balance between work and life

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy

"Please remove the "systems" between your staff and the work to be done. Thank you."

Current Employee - Senior Claims Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Analyst

I have been working at AIG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work itself is very challenging and interesting, from a technical and intellectual point of view. This is due to the type of business this company writes. This is very rewarding, and one of the main "retention" factor for claims handlers and underwriters.

Also the claims handling philosophy has not changed for the past 15 years (no matter what people say): we try to "find" coverage, and stretch coverage as much as it is legitimate to do. We're tough as we won't cover a loss for which no premium was paid; but we're fair. But when there is coverage, we're not cheap, contrary to many competitors.

Cons

The systems - computers, but also the "work flow / procedures / protocols / red tape", no matter how you call it: everything that is not insurance per se, is terrible. I say "terrible" as I don't want my review to be blocked by a moderator.

You would not believe how many steps exist, and how many people are involved in something as simple as "receiving an email". I recently counted 5 persons, including me, and TWO managers to process the receipt of an email sent by a broker to a claim analyst. No, this is not the government. It's AIG.

"We know money."

Also, there is no technical or clerical support. The management is deeply convinced that it is more economical to have clerical work done by an employee earning in the 6 digits plus bonus, than by an assistant at at 30 to 40K. Okay, then. Whatever works in your dimension. (But this is common to almost all general insurance companies, now. But, at least, their computer and IT systems WORK).

Advice to Management

Go back to how we worked prior to that "paperless" adventure. We used to be efficient. We had a great reputation (In canada, at least)

The company was not ready for "paperless". It is still not ready for it. In canada, we are in commercial insurance field. Going "paperless", when your work consists in handling thousands and thousands of pages of documents, often complex by nature, requires a TOP NOTCH IT system, and clerical support to boot. It's sad, but just face the reality: AIG is worst off than it was circa 2001. So let us work without that crappy claim system, and put it back in operation when it will be up to 21st centuries standards.

(Also: did AIG purchased OneClaim from a bankrupt Life or Dental health Insurance system or what? Totally useless for commercial lines insurance).

Really, trust your claims / underwriting professionals: they know what to do, and they do deliver. All you have to do is to remove the obstacles (IT and operational systems) between the professionals and the claims/or business and clients. Managers, you know money? Well, we know claims handling and underwriting. So please get your systems out of the way, our clients are waiting for their checks. Thank you.

10. "Off shore processing"

I worked at AIG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Technological advancements being used to make process smoother

Cons

Performance review being rated with the same job grade but different duties/department

Advice to Management

Provide better long term compensation specially for tenured employees

Showing 2,995 of 3,240 reviews