AACSB International Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Tom Robinson

"A Review of AACSB"

Former Employee - Senior Managing Director

I worked at AACSB International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good benefits - Beautiful office location - Plentiful company social events - Newly re-branded and fresh company image

Cons

- Poor leadership and executive management - Toxic culture of deceit - Innovation by staff is punished versus rewarded - Product lines are very mature and outdated with no sign of growth - There is no reward system - Evaluations are based on opinions of selected individuals versus results of work - No new developments or ideas are ever implemented due to management's inability to make decisions and take risks..., projects seem to circle around and around with no end in sight

Advice to Management

- Create a performance system that values innovation and performance - Create teams of innovators - Remove executives that stifle forward motion and focus on politics and personal gain

AACSB International2019-08-09
  2. "Great company to work for that genuinely cares about their employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AACSB International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything this company does is to serve their members and their employees. There are no other motives. BENEFITS. The people. The food that always happens to be in the break room. The views from the break room. The office environment is relaxed, productive and open with lots of natural light. Jeans for smart casual business attire Mon-Fri.

Cons

Company has almost 100 employees, so depending on the role there may not be opportunities for advancement right away. They do give opportunities to advance to those who earn it, so I wouldn't let this deter someone from applying.

AACSB International2019-04-12

May 7, 2019VP & Chief Talent Officer

Many thanks for taking the time to share your impressions!

3. "Opportunities Abound"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AACSB International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Diverse employees to serve the diverse organizations that we support. What stuck out to me most was the strong emphasis on office culture and interpersonal relationships upon hiring -- many people may be suitable to perform a job, but AACSB prioritizes those who will do well working with the current staff, who for the most part have developed cordial, professional and genuine relationships with each other. AACSB... offers many opportunities for networking, professional development, and cultural enrichment as well by encouraging employees to attend workshops, seminars and trainings to enhance their skillsets, and their membership with various local organizations and committees including the Tampa chamber of commerce means that employees will often have a chance to attend networking luncheons and conferences throughout the Tampa Bay Area. Finally, while not all will have this opportunity, AACSB being a global organization means there are various travel opportunities year-round for staff to visit the organizations around the world that we work with. AACSB also offers a Staff Exchange Program to give staff a chance to experience office life in our other offices in Amsterdam and Singapore. Even if not every opportunity suits every employee, all of the staff benefits from our monthly luncheons and celebrations, gratuitous benefits and very forgiving 7.5 hour workdays. The company also does a great job of communicating successes such as promotions, academic achievements and special recognitions and colleagues are typically very supportive and voice their excitement for their peers.

Cons

Some departments have a tendency to be more clique-ish than others, with their members socializing with each other exclusively, not attending company-wide events and at times not extending the level of hospitality and camaraderie that the majority of the office maintains. There is also sometimes a dramatic imbalance in workload between colleagues that would probably be addressed if it were brought to HR, but is... often just suffered silently as managers pile on an increasing amount of new duties. Overall, colleagues are very respectful of each other and their workloads.

Advice to Management

Perhaps consider a more empathetic approach when having periodic meetings/examining the team you support and their workload -- be open to their concerns and think about shifting/balancing responsibilities to prevent overload. We have many great temp positions that may be a good way to hire on extra help for some colleagues.

AACSB International2019-03-26

April 5, 2019VP & Chief Talent Officer

Many thanks for the review and feedback!

4. "Diverse environment"

Current Employee - Director in Amsterdam

I have been working at AACSB International full-time for more than a year

Pros

International diversity, collegiality and steady team in Amsterdam. A lot of opportunity for cross-functional work with other office location. Office location in Amsterdam and view from the office are very nice.

Cons

Workload is too high for some colleagues.

AACSB International2019-03-13

"Interesting organization trying to figure out how to expand in new markets"

Former Employee - Membership Latin America in Tampa, FL

I worked at AACSB International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, money to splurge, fancy travel, view from the lunch room

Cons

Slow, zero to no diversity, new ideas are not welcome, hierarchy, lacks international business culture and respect to diversity. Hostile work environment, human resources does not address co-workers issues or problems between staff, no knowledge of how to do business in latin america, no space for new leadership and no proper training to new employees. Hiring pre-screening site is way too long and not worth if you... get hire.

Advice to Management

Create a globalized work environment that is goes beyond the paper. Educate staff on welcoming new ideas, motivate staff, and help staff when they report issues to HR, hire people with experience on the field of higher education and experience doing business in Latin America, that have empathy and aren’t arrogant. The application pre-screening site is unnecessarily long and scares away valuable talent.

AACSB International2019-01-13

January 14, 2019VP & Chief Talent Officer

We believe a single former employee is leaving similar reviews - this being another of them. Please see our prior response(s). Thank you.

6. "Good benefits"

I have been working at AACSB International full-time

Pros

Retirement matching, efforts to create a positive work culture, work life balance

Cons

Due to the size of the organization, it can be hard to move up quickly though promotions do happen regularly.

AACSB International2018-11-13

"Good employees don't last"

I have been working at AACSB International

Pros

Great benefits which most employers don't give such as a generous 401(k) match, paid parking, and commuter allowance. Also in a great location and close to many community events.

Cons

Poor management and they don't care if someone leaves. CEO is very removed from daily operations in Tampa office but spends lots of time in the company's other offices. HR is non-approachable, and doesn't respond to most requests because they claim they are too busy. Very top heavy with way too many VP's and some are a total waste of time and money.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what employees have to say. When someone leaves, ask yourself why and do an exit interview. Stop promoting people who don't deserve to be promoted. Too many top level management that do nothing.

AACSB International2018-05-24

June 7, 2018VP & Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We have worked hard to create a robust benefits package to promote wellness and work-life balance for our employees and their families. When an employee exits the organization, we feel the immediate loss of the employee’s contribution and comradery. Although our turnover is well below average, we are supportive of employees when they eventually move on. It has been our longstanding process to conduct exit interviews with every employee and leverage that feedback in our continuous improvement efforts. As has been shared in employee communications and meetings, our CEO’s travel is due to his presence at speaking engagements, events, conferences, etc. He spends about half of his time in the Tampa office but makes it a point to visit our Singapore and Amsterdam offices, typically once or twice per year when his business travel takes him to those regions. Communication and collaboration are core values at AACSB. We maintain an open door policy and encourage all employees to provide observations, suggestions, and feedback as they feel comfortable, but we also provide employees with multiple means of providing anonymous feedback if they prefer. Employees routinely email or come by the HR department for guidance and we strive to respond the same business day. If you feel like HR is not meeting your needs and you do not feel comfortable sharing that with us directly, we encourage you to speak with your Leadership Team member so we can be sure your needs are being met. We also encourage you to discuss any concerns about our promotional practices with your Leadership Team member, HR, or our CEO.

8. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at AACSB International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance and great organization with a lot of exposure for professional development. Non-profit organization working with inspiring volunteers from all over the world. A lot of organizational-wide appreciation initiatives for staff.

Cons

Unnecessary meetings, no balance or structure for appropriate communication channels.

Advice to Management

Encourage communication across departments and not only through management.

AACSB International2017-05-20

June 2, 2017VP & Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for taking the time to submit this review. We hear you and are discussing opportunities to improve organization-wide communication. We will be providing staff with a survey later this summer to better identify the problem areas and potential solutions.

"Stable job - but zero advancement, and poor pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at AACSB International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, flexible hours (37.5 hour weeks), work/life balance, free food, commuter allowance, fitness allowance, 401k match, some departments travel, bonus, nice sized office, nice desks, nice location, parking

Cons

Might loose health insurance benefits, no advancement, HR, uncomfortable environment, process heavy, micromanaging, no communication and nobody knows who's in charge of anything, some staff members are very judgmental, too many unnecessary meetings

Advice to Management

Provide employees with some type of advancement opportunity, learn to practice what you preach, learn to accept change, listen to your membership feedback, and stop micromanaging.

AACSB International2017-04-28

May 10, 2017Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Some of these statements are quite general and therefore difficult to respond to in a meaningful way, however we're happy to address the others. With regard to advancement opportunities, upward mobility may be limited at times due to us being a smaller organization, but we promote more employees annually than the national average. In addition, we create career paths for employees that build on their specific skills and interests, e.g., creating opportunities in IT even in the absence of an IT background. It is highly unlikely that we will lose our US health insurance but there is a slim possibility. We are working hard to educate our team and their dependents in order to avoid this. It is more likely that we would just have to give up some of the very rich benefits of our current plan in order to maintain coverage, but in the extreme event that we do lose our current group coverage, we would find an alternative solution and we not leave our employees without an attractive healthcare plan. There's been a concerted effort in the last two years to shift our culture to one that supports trust, autonomy, risk taking, cross functional collaboration, etc. In a leadership development workshop last week, several employees who joined us in the last 2 or so years noted a significant change. Our work is not done to this end but we are proud of our progress to date. We're working to ensure meetings are more meaningful and appropriately attended. We've also made strides in addressing the communication issue as most employees noted in our annual survey that there was too much communication. As a result, we've created a monthly staff brief to consolidate communications, ensuring they're more targeted. We do continue to hear from employees however that they are not always aware of developments , more so at the individual department level, so we are exploring ways to address this issue, e.g., utilizing technology, etc. Again, we're not clear what some of the specific concerns are, e.g., HR being noted under Cons, the advice to listen to member feedback, etc., so we're not able to respond to those points but thank you again and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

"Great place to work."

I have been working at AACSB International

Pros

The work environment and employees are friendly, you get a welcome breakfast on your first day!

Cons

Don't plan to loose weight during the holidays, there is lots of food.

AACSB International2017-01-19

February 22, 2017Human Resources

Thank you so much for the review. Happy to hear you're off to a good start and yes, you'll need to pace yourself with the snacking even beyond the holidays.

Found 17 reviews