A Thinking Ape Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
A Thinking Ape Co-Founder Kenshi Arasaki
Kenshi Arasaki

1. "Customer Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, meritocracy, great people, casual environment, lots of fun events

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing a great job!

2. "The apes are indeed thinking!"

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-So many smart people work here. There is a ton of brainpower, and ATA provides a lot of ways to share that wisdom, some structured, some organic. For instance, I learned about second-order logic from an engineer over a game of lunchtime Sudoku!
    -Literally everyone can make impactful decisions. It doesn't matter what role you fill, if your idea is a good one, you're empowered to put it into action.
    -ATA has a ton of social events. We build communities, and that includes our own internal community. There's no shortage of opportunities to step away from your desk and have fun with your colleagues. Bonus: some really cool ideas emerge from this sort of unstructured collaboration. I'm constantly amazed by what I learn about/from my fellow apes.

Cons

-ATA is made up of a handful of small teams, all of which function like their own startup. While this design has its benefits, it can also foster a sense of separation. And although there are ample opportunities to socialize outside of your team, these chances aren't always leveraged.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and open lines of communication. The fact that Kenshi is so honest and accessible is awesome and makes everyone on the team feel like they matter.

3. "A Place to create your own path"

Current Employee - People Operations in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - People Operations in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ATA offers a lot of autonomy over ones work. They focus a lot on building communities within their games and working towards developing best practises on how to do the same for their internal team. ATA cares about its people, and offers many programs to ensure that people are supported. This includes things like having ergonomic workstations, snacks and social events to having frequent and open conversations with team leads/managers about performance and new initiatives. ATA is always striving to improve and is not afraid to fail. The mentality is that you will learn from your mistakes and mistakes can help be better in the future. Its a creative place, where passionate smart people come to work and in an environment where people really care.

Cons

You need to feel comfortable with having lots of autonomy and freedom to make decisions about your work. Career paths are not always clear, and therefore you need to take ownership of the direction you want to move towards and make suggestions for how you want to accomplish those goals.

Advice to Management

Keep asking your teams for feedback. Its great when you do and when you put actionable plans in place for change. Keep working on developing your people, and supporting managers on how best to support their teams.

5. "Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Artist in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Artist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fun group of people and a really nice office. The benefits are great and they really pride themselves on company transparency, which is evident.

Cons

I'm not always super into the work. It would be nice if people in general could be more passionate about the product, but it's hard when most of the games I'd never play. However, it's a paycheck. The People team could also be more approachable and friendly.

Advice to Management

Involve employees more in brainstorming new ideas. Continue to improve the company transparency. Also team leads should encourage employees to participate in company events, instead of avoiding them and making employees feel bad about attending.

6. "Love Working Here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of opportunity to grow and learn. You can move into higher/different roles easily if you are willing to put in the work. Basically, you are rewarded for the work you put in, and there is always more to do if you are willing to.

- Great culture and work environment, weekly catered lunches, fun events, flexible hours, and all-round positive and motivating atmosphere.

Cons

- Probably not the best place to work if you don't like lots of responsibility and having to work at night/the weekend if things are on fire

Advice to Management

- Continue being transparent and honest with your employees, it makes us proud to work here!

7. "Work with smart people"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A Thinking Ape provides a startup environment that is both stimulating and intellectually challenging. Working at A Thinking Ape you have the opportunity to do more than what's asked or what you're currently responsible for in your role. This type of environment fosters personal and professional growth by collaboratively coming up with the best ideas and the best solutions.

- be challenged in your work to come up with the best ideas
    - everyone you talk to is a subject matter expect in their field
    - your feedback and ideas are taken seriously

Cons

It's not a 9 to 5 job

8. "A Happy Ape"

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly enjoy coming to work every day. We have great people here. Whether its crossword puzzles over lunch or learning more about what an engineer or artist is working on, I am always learning from my peers. People share ideas across teams and departments and everyone cares about contributing to make this the best environment possible. You are given the opportunity to grow in the direction that you are interested in and to take full ownership over your work. Also we have great snacks and flexible hours are great!

Cons

The amount of ownership we give can be scary at first and definitely isn't for everyone. You need to be very self-motivated to succeed and be open to giving and receiving a lot of feedback

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

9. "The place to be!"

Current Employee - CSA in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - CSA in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent startup culture with a number of the smartest (and wittiest) minds in Vancouver
    - Great focus on professional growth and development
    - Strong emphasis on taking ownership
    - Nap room
    - Catered lunches on Wednesdays

Cons

- Food coma induced by catered lunches on Wednesdays

Advice to Management

Thank you for valuing your people.

10. "SDE Intern"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Competitive pay even among much larger corporations, lots of snacks. There is a strong engineering culture that drives employees to try to make the best decision for every situation which promotes a lot of autonomy in the office. As an intern, I'm essentially working as a full time employee, not just given a crappy tool to spend 4 months making that nobody will ever use. This is a great company to intern for if you want to feel like your internship is truly making an impact in the company.

Cons

As others have mentioned, very strong emphasis on ownership. This can be a con if you prefer to learn from others on the job instead of self-teach on the job. ATA does not have as extensive CR/design review processes as larger companies might, which can be both good and bad as it leads to quick iteration but also comes with some repercussions if something is built sub-optimally - this is where taking ownership of your work is important as it's up to you to fix any issues that might arise.

11. "Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Vancouver, BC

Pros

I knew ATA is one of the best tech companies to work for in Vancouver. So, my expectations were pretty high when I joined. Nevertheless, my experience working here has far exceeded my expectation.

Growing opportunities, both technical and product, are ample . Engineers are expected to work on all aspects of products and have ownership. Engineers aren't pigeon holed into tiny areas of repetitive work. It is challenging, but at the same time, very rewarding. Employees have budgets for professional growth.

Compensation is top notch and fair. No low-balling. Annual compensation reviews and adjustments to keep it competitive(I got a raise because of this, a month after start working here. Didn't ask for it. Didn't know that's a thing. Such a sweet surprise.) Great benefits and work life balance. Work from home is okay. Hours are flexible.

Work environment is great. Top-of-line hardware, height adjustable desks and almost any stuff you might need are provided. People team does a great job taking care of people. There are fun events, catered lunches, e.t.c. You get to know people you're working with and be actual friends. We just moved into a new office. Now that everyone is on the same floor, it makes the atmosphere even better.

Cons

Learning curve is steep. Engineers are expected to be generalists, meaning they should be comfortable learning new tech and ship code. It requires people to go out of comfort zone, a lot.

Catered lunch is only on Wednesday. Going out for lunch feels like a waste of time to me sometimes. But exploring restaurants is also enjoyable too. Oh well.