A Thinking Ape Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.8
A Thinking Ape Co-Founder Kenshi Arasaki
Kenshi Arasaki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great people make for amazing culture"

Current Employee - UI-UX Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - UI-UX Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ATA's values (Ownership, Have Great Arguments, The best Ideas win, and Keep Growing) are not around just for display, but really embodied by every employees in ATA. On every level, everyone is passionate about their job and very respectful with one another. The people team is being very creative and thoughtful to make the healthiest work environment possible, and clearly it is succesful.
    Great people, great perks, great office, and very interesting job!

Cons

Can't really think of any...

Advice to Management

Keep doing grea

2. "Good place to work"

I worked at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

Autonomy and ownership, friendly, good work-life balance.

Cons

open office, disorganized, poor communication

19 Feb, 2018 – Head of People & Culture

We are thrilled that you were able to live our core value of ownership during your time at ATA. The open office concept definitely does not work for everyone, and we have designed the office space to... More

3. "Was fun"

I worked at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

Great office and great hours.

Cons

Not all leadership roles have experience in leading/management.

Advice to Management

Promote equal value among a teams, all employees.

18 Sep, 2017 – Head of People & Culture

Thanks for the feedback. This quarter we are working specifically on building our team lead training program and providing tools to offer more support for our emerging people leaders.

4. "Customer Support Analyst"

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, meritocracy, great people, casual environment, lots of fun events

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing a great job!

18 Sep, 2017 – Head of People & Culture

As we continue to grow our team, staying true to our culture is important to us. Working with great people, fostering a casual environment and maintaining a meritocracy are important ways we operate... More

5. "A Place to create your own path"

Current Employee - People Operations in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - People Operations in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ATA offers a lot of autonomy over ones work. They focus a lot on building communities within their games and working towards developing best practises on how to do the same for their internal team. ATA cares about its people, and offers many programs to ensure that people are supported. This includes things like having ergonomic workstations, snacks and social events to having frequent and open conversations with team leads/managers about performance and new initiatives. ATA is always striving to improve and is not afraid to fail. The mentality is that you will learn from your mistakes and mistakes can help be better in the future. Its a creative place, where passionate smart people come to work and in an environment where people really care.

Cons

You need to feel comfortable with having lots of autonomy and freedom to make decisions about your work. Career paths are not always clear, and therefore you need to take ownership of the direction you want to move towards and make suggestions for how you want to accomplish those goals.

Advice to Management

Keep asking your teams for feedback. Its great when you do and when you put actionable plans in place for change. Keep working on developing your people, and supporting managers on how best to support their teams.

18 Sep, 2017 – Head of People & Culture

Thanks for the specific feedback. We send out quarterly culture surveys to solicit feedback. It's a great way to get qualitative data from our apes.

6. "The apes are indeed thinking!"

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-So many smart people work here. There is a ton of brainpower, and ATA provides a lot of ways to share that wisdom, some structured, some organic. For instance, I learned about second-order logic from an engineer over a game of lunchtime Sudoku!
    -Literally everyone can make impactful decisions. It doesn't matter what role you fill, if your idea is a good one, you're empowered to put it into action.
    -ATA has a ton of social events. We build communities, and that includes our own internal community. There's no shortage of opportunities to step away from your desk and have fun with your colleagues. Bonus: some really cool ideas emerge from this sort of unstructured collaboration. I'm constantly amazed by what I learn about/from my fellow apes.

Cons

-ATA is made up of a handful of small teams, all of which function like their own startup. While this design has its benefits, it can also foster a sense of separation. And although there are ample opportunities to socialize outside of your team, these chances aren't always leveraged.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and open lines of communication. The fact that Kenshi is so honest and accessible is awesome and makes everyone on the team feel like they matter.

7. "Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Artist in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Artist in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fun group of people and a really nice office. The benefits are great and they really pride themselves on company transparency, which is evident.

Cons

I'm not always super into the work. It would be nice if people in general could be more passionate about the product, but it's hard when most of the games I'd never play. However, it's a paycheck. The People team could also be more approachable and friendly.

Advice to Management

Involve employees more in brainstorming new ideas. Continue to improve the company transparency. Also team leads should encourage employees to participate in company events, instead of avoiding them and making employees feel bad about attending.

18 Sep, 2017 – Head of People & Culture

Our people team is dedicated to building our internal community and ensuring our workplace environment and culture are happy and healthy. We will continue to work on being as transparent as we can... More

8. "Love Working Here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of opportunity to grow and learn. You can move into higher/different roles easily if you are willing to put in the work. Basically, you are rewarded for the work you put in, and there is always more to do if you are willing to.

- Great culture and work environment, weekly catered lunches, fun events, flexible hours, and all-round positive and motivating atmosphere.

Cons

- Probably not the best place to work if you don't like lots of responsibility and having to work at night/the weekend if things are on fire

Advice to Management

- Continue being transparent and honest with your employees, it makes us proud to work here!

18 Sep, 2017 – Head of People & Culture

We understand that sometimes things happen in our games, and we appreciate you working those irregular hours to keep our players happy.

9. "Best place I've ever worked"

Pros

Work / Life balance, Perks, People, Management, Vibe, Games

Cons

Honestly, difficult to think of one

Advice to Management

Keep it up. This company is a great place to work.

10. "Work with smart people"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A Thinking Ape provides a startup environment that is both stimulating and intellectually challenging. Working at A Thinking Ape you have the opportunity to do more than what's asked or what you're currently responsible for in your role. This type of environment fosters personal and professional growth by collaboratively coming up with the best ideas and the best solutions.

- be challenged in your work to come up with the best ideas
    - everyone you talk to is a subject matter expect in their field
    - your feedback and ideas are taken seriously

Cons

It's not a 9 to 5 job