A Thinking Ape Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Oct 11, 2019

4.4
A Thinking Ape CEO Kenshi Arasaki
Kenshi Arasaki
  1. "A gr-APE place to work!"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

Be part of a stable, growing startup with beloved products, exceptional culture, visionary leadership, hard problems and real opportunities.

Cons

Typical startup challenges and opportunities: is it a bug or a feature? Running successful games as a service means we're providing support 24-7.

A Thinking Ape2019-09-25
  2. "Good tech. startup oriented culture, albeit varies vastly by team."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people/HR team is great, led by a very capable individual. They put in a lot of effort to make employees comfortable and cared for. It’s a product focussed company that’s experienced good traction, thus being able to invest in future product growth. Engineers, visual designers and artists seem to enjoy their jobs here.

Cons

The cultural values of ‘ownership/autonomy’, ‘best ideas win’ and ‘having wonderful arguments’ is actually resented by the senior folk within some teams - the commercial ones in particular. This leads to a very pronounced form of micro-management that stifles original/critical thinking. The job descriptions for some roles are also dressed up to signify wider scopes than they actually encompass.

A Thinking Ape2019-10-11

October 17, 2019Head of People & Culture

We appreciate the kind words about the hard work our People Team puts into making sure the studio is an enjoyable and comfortable workspace. Our team is hugely important to us and we have big ambitions for making ATA an even better place to work for our employees. Our core values are guiding statements that we try and live every day and ideally everyone should be using them to influence their decision making. Within the last year we’ve experienced a lot of growth and the added resources have been great for our teams. However, we recognize that with our strong focus on hiring we may have not done the best job of educating people around the importance of our core values and making sure that everyone has clarity around their meaning. We’re currently working on training materials and new ways in which we can re-engage the team around our core values and ensure that everyone from the CEO to our co-op students are using them to produce outstanding work.

3. "A Company That Cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for more than a year

Pros

So many pros for this company! - The Founders, Directors, and Leads care about the people of ATA and strive to create a healthy and inclusive work space where everyone can be themselves and do their best work. - Flexible work hours: Incredible work life balance - Extreme ownership / freedom on projects. - Support and resources from various sources (team leads, annual professional development budget, studio... library, company wiki etc.) - Perks: studio snacks, weekly catered lunch, monthly celebrations, monthly in-studio massage clinic, annual fitness benefits, active design open workspace, dogs allowed, games room, patio parties, the list goes on. - Fun, super smart people to work with everyday! - ATA is a company that lives true to the company core values.

Cons

Obviously, as the company has grown over the last year there are certain pain points that come with many new hires coming onboard. However, it’s clear that the leadership team has been very proactive in addressing these issues and adapting to protect the amazing culture in the studio.

Advice to Management

Continue the great work!

A Thinking Ape2019-08-20

"Lacks structure and stability"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

Relaxed office environment with large amounts of freedom. Good compensation and benefits plus relaxed core hours.

Cons

Recent personnel changes means a large amount of expertise has left the company. Team and product structure has changed to adapt but workflows that were once seamless have disappeared, leading to a number of team, product, and stability problems. The feeling of "what's broken now" has become commonplace. Teams are at times visibly burnt out.

A Thinking Ape2019-08-14

September 20, 2019Head of People & Culture

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We recognize that individuals moving on to new opportunities, the unprecedented growth in our team and the creation of a new game team has led to changes in our team and product structures this year. In order to get an understanding of the impact of these changes, we recently introduced scheduled skip level 1:1’s with our directors. These 1:1’s will enable us to improve communication with our teams, assess the ongoing health of each department and identify any workflow obstacles. As you mentioned our employees are offered a huge amount of freedom and relaxed core hours, and we proactively encourage anyone feeling burnt out to take advantage of these benefits. In the spirit of ownership, we trust people to approach their work in ways that work best for them and speak up if they are feeling misaligned to our priorities.

5. "Great Culture and Great People"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

- You're given a lot of freedom because the company trusts that you'll do your best work - You're surrounded by very smart, and more importantly, nice people that you can learn from and grow - Lots of snacks + Catered lunch

Cons

A lot internal processes and tools still have room for improvement.

A Thinking Ape2019-06-21
  6. "Ownership and Autonomy"

Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic place to work for self-starters and motivated individuals. Huge growth potential Diverse workplace Great benefits Fun culture

Cons

Not a place for someone who just wants to get by on the minimum amount of work

A Thinking Ape2019-06-14
  7. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - 3D Generalist

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company! Amazing perks here and amazing people. Flexible working hours, loads of career growth and learning opportunities, expands your mind. Highly recommended!

Cons

None so far. Great company!

A Thinking Ape2019-04-29
  8. "Amazing Company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for more than a year

Pros

- So many snacks, cake, ice cream, beers all the time. Catered lunch every Wednesday and Beer o'clock every Friday - Great compensation and amazing benefits - There's always events happening and many excuses to celebrate. A Thinking Ape has won several culture awards for a reason. Every day I'm excited to go into work. - Tight culture with many talented and smart employees. - Software engineers get to work on... big and important features and employees of all levels make a significant impact on the company. - Everyone in the company right up to the CEO is open to constructive criticism and healthy arguments. If anyone has a suggestion for culture, products, or general company ideas, everyone is open and willing to listen.

Cons

- None I can directly think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

A Thinking Ape2019-04-26
  9. "Great people make for amazing culture"

Current Employee - UI-UX Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time for less than a year

Pros

ATA's values (Ownership, Have Great Arguments, The best Ideas win, and Keep Growing) are not around just for display, but really embodied by every employees in ATA. On every level, everyone is passionate about their job and very respectful with one another. The people team is being very creative and thoughtful to make the healthiest work environment possible, and clearly it is succesful. Great people, great perks,... great office, and very interesting job!

Cons

Can't really think of any...

Advice to Management

Keep doing grea

A Thinking Ape2018-06-01

January 31, 2019Head of People & Culture

We love to hear that our core values come to life for you in meaningful ways that impact your experience at work. Our People Team strives to foster a personalized employee experience where employees are supported and can be themselves. Thanks for the kind words!

10. "Good place to work"

I worked at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

Autonomy and ownership, friendly, good work-life balance.

Cons

open office, disorganized, poor communication

A Thinking Ape2018-02-18

February 19, 2018Head of People & Culture

We are thrilled that you were able to live our core value of ownership during your time at ATA. The open office concept definitely does not work for everyone, and we have designed the office space to offer various break out rooms and quiet spaces for our apes to focus. Improving our internal communication is a top priority and with the introduction, last year of the OKR model its brought a new level of alignment and prioritization to our teams.

Found 39 reviews