A Thinking Ape Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Kenshi Arasaki

1. "SDE Intern"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Co-Op in Vancouver, BC

Pros

Competitive pay even among much larger corporations, lots of snacks. There is a strong engineering culture that drives employees to try to make the best decision for every situation which promotes a lot of autonomy in the office. As an intern, I'm essentially working as a full time employee, not just given a crappy tool to spend 4 months making that nobody will ever use. This is a great company to intern for if you want to feel like your internship is truly making an impact in the company.

Cons

As others have mentioned, very strong emphasis on ownership. This can be a con if you prefer to learn from others on the job instead of self-teach on the job. ATA does not have as extensive CR/design review processes as larger companies might, which can be both good and bad as it leads to quick iteration but also comes with some repercussions if something is built sub-optimally - this is where taking ownership of your work is important as it's up to you to fix any issues that might arise.

2. "The place to be!"

Current Employee - CSA in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - CSA in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent startup culture with a number of the smartest (and wittiest) minds in Vancouver
    - Great focus on professional growth and development
    - Strong emphasis on taking ownership
    - Nap room
    - Catered lunches on Wednesdays

Cons

- Food coma induced by catered lunches on Wednesdays

Advice to Management

Thank you for valuing your people.

3. "Don't want to work anywhere else"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company really allows employees to grow in the direction of their choice. There's also flexibility in work hours and working from home.

Cons

Lots of responsibility for your product, if your stuff breaks then you might need to fix it outside of work hours.

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

No micro-management. Nice people. Work is challenging and fun.

Cons

It can be stressful sometimes

6. "Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Vancouver, BC

Pros

I knew ATA is one of the best tech companies to work for in Vancouver. So, my expectations were pretty high when I joined. Nevertheless, my experience working here has far exceeded my expectation.

Growing opportunities, both technical and product, are ample . Engineers are expected to work on all aspects of products and have ownership. Engineers aren't pigeon holed into tiny areas of repetitive work. It is challenging, but at the same time, very rewarding. Employees have budgets for professional growth.

Compensation is top notch and fair. No low-balling. Annual compensation reviews and adjustments to keep it competitive(I got a raise because of this, a month after start working here. Didn't ask for it. Didn't know that's a thing. Such a sweet surprise.) Great benefits and work life balance. Work from home is okay. Hours are flexible.

Work environment is great. Top-of-line hardware, height adjustable desks and almost any stuff you might need are provided. People team does a great job taking care of people. There are fun events, catered lunches, e.t.c. You get to know people you're working with and be actual friends. We just moved into a new office. Now that everyone is on the same floor, it makes the atmosphere even better.

Cons

Learning curve is steep. Engineers are expected to be generalists, meaning they should be comfortable learning new tech and ship code. It requires people to go out of comfort zone, a lot.

Catered lunch is only on Wednesday. Going out for lunch feels like a waste of time to me sometimes. But exploring restaurants is also enjoyable too. Oh well.

7. "Small Company Feel, Big Company Smarts"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer (III) in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer (III) in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape (More than a year)

Pros

A Thinking Ape has the most healthy working environment I've experienced in my life. Management is incredibly transparent and concerned with employee well being. Employees are given a voice and have a large influence in driving the company. Growth opportunities are abundant as well, with employees being trained in interdisciplinary and management skills and challenged to learn new platforms, styles and talents for their work on a regular basis. Compensation is very competitive, and pay evaluation is fair and predictable, with preset goals for achieving new positions. A suite of internal IPs and a considerable and growing profit margin means ATA is free to determine their own future. Without external deadlines from investors or clients, work hours are stable and work life balance is a big focus.

Cons

Employees are expected to take ownership of their own work. Often the most valuable work is something an employee will be the driving force behind. Decisions and plans are all open to suggestion and influence from all employees, which can be hard to adjust to when coming from companies with more top down approaches to planning and design.

Advice to Management

Don't stop learning and don't stop teaching. Many companies in the market could learn a thing or two from you all.

8. "Best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly transparent company that shares almost all data with employees.
    People care deeply and take pride in their work.
    Everyone is highly skilled and I always feel like I'm working with the very best people.
    Very flat organization where everyone has input into the product decisions.
    Pays really well.
    People genuinely seem to like coming to work and the atmosphere is very light hearted (people are happy).
    No jerks.

Cons

Office is a bit squished -- but we're moving to a bigger one.
    Some people struggle with being given a lot of autonomy and responsibility to make their own decisions and want more direction.

Advice to Management

Keep ATA a great place to work by continuing to emphasize experimentation and exploration. We're on the path to great things and the journey has been a blast so far.

"ATA Review"

I worked at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

Start-up culture, hacker friendly environment

Cons

Poor compensation, mediocre management

A Thinking Ape Response

6 Jun, 2016 – People Team Lead

We’re disappointed to hear your experience at ATA was less than stellar and wish we had the opportunity to address your concerns while you were still a part of our team. Others have highlighted our ... More

"People Builders"

Current Employee - Creative Producer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Creative Producer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at A Thinking Ape full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They hire for intelligence and passion and help grow that passion with 1on1 mentorship and ample opportunities.
    I started with customer support to build back up from burnout from a past job, from day one, if I had an idea I was encouraged to pursue it, and given guidance on how to succeed. 3 position promotions later and I'm managing the creative process for 4 live products.
    They find good people, and they build them up.

Cons

Very fast paced, passion and personal growth is the default.
    If you're looking to for the status quo, you won't find it here.
    - I guess that's a con? I like it, but others may not.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, it's working.

A Thinking Ape Response

18 May, 2016 – People Team Lead

We're extremely lucky to have many success stories at ATA! Continual growth is one of our values and it shows with each internal move or promotion.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at A Thinking Ape full-time

Pros

Strong technical aptitude: you will learn and grow a lot.
    Smart and friendly people: work becomes very enjoyable.
    Great company culture: hacker spirit, ownership and freedom

Cons

When the company grows fast, all problems are gone magically. When growth stops, all problems haunt back. At the moment I left, the company seems to be struggling with growth.

Advice to Management

More transparency is needed in decision making process.
    Founders are super smart and resourceful, but also arrogant and prejudiced at the same time.