A Hundred Answers Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Sean Murphy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kanata, ON

I have been working at A Hundred Answers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at AHA are awesome! Some of the brightest individuals I have ever worked with. Social activities are fun and are great team building experiences. Client work is for the most part interesting as new clients and work keep things fresh.

Cons

Downtime between projects or client work is somewhat frustrating when you are trying to keep billable. Communication from management could be a little better with regards to upcoming work and what is expected from employees.

Advice to Management

Keep finding great clients to ensure that employees are engaged. Great work finding great employees, makes working amongst a team of bright peers very enjoyable.

2. "Employer of Choice-Great Corporate Citizen"

I have been working at A Hundred Answers full-time

Pros

Great people, opportunity for growth and invest in their employees, both from coaching, mentoring and learning day workshops. Very open, teams are collaborative and those that are able to be self-starters, thrive and contribute under minimal guidance, really excel here. If you want to work with bright consultants that work hard to find the right solutions for their clients this is the place to be. Committed to community involvement and so are their employees, keep up that great work in making a difference in the lives of others.

Cons

Like all companies, communication could be better from the top levels down and it will need to continue to improve, if they want to continue to grow. and retain their top talent.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people and winning great projects and the sky is the limit, but always remember your People are what make you who you are.

"Great place to work for a certain personality"

I have been working at A Hundred Answers full-time

Pros

AHA is not the right fit for everyone, but it is a fantastic place to work for the right personality type. If you are a smart, self-motivated, driven, competitive individual, who thrives in a fast paced, challenging environment, AHA is a great place for you. If you are looking to show up, put in your time at your desk, and then go home, AHA is not the right place for you. If you are a self-starter, who can organize your own time, and knows when to ask to ask questions, you will do well. If you need your hand held, and are not proactive, you will fail. This is management consulting, and it is true private sector. I’ve seen people come to AHA from public sector and find the expectations much different. On the other hand though, once management knows you are reliable and you can be trusted to get your work done and meet client commitments, no one is standing over your shoulder, and there is a lot of flexibility to manage your work life balance however you need to. Management is always available to sit down if you have questions, but they aren’t there to babysit you.

At AHA you are constantly learning and there is unlimited potential to grow your skills and follow your interests. Management is very supportive of continuing education and allowing employees to develop new business lines and pursue individual passions, but you better be ready to back it up with hard work and take ownership.

AHA values diversity, and no two people have the same credentials. If you are looking for a place where you will be exposed to multiple industries and every day is different, you will love consulting.

My absolute favourite part of AHA is the people. Every single person that works here and has lasted, is incredibly intelligent. I am constantly inspired by my peers. We truly work in teams, and no one person is ever on their own. Credit for success is shared by all resources, down to the new grad analysts, and if you ever need help with anything, the expectation is that it is everyone in the firm’s job to help you and make sure you are supported. The firm is quite young, with a lot of employees in their 20s-30s, which makes for a fun atmosphere. Again, there is a certain personality type at the firm, that isn’t for everyone. Most of us are A-type and enjoy going for drinks after a hard day of work.

Cons

AHA is still a young company and there are natural growing pains. Management is figuring it out as they go, just like the rest of us. It is true what other reviewers have said that last year there was high turnover. My perspective on this was that we were a new company with individuals coming in from different backgrounds, and as a result there was a clash of some big personalities. When certain people left, others followed. During this time, there was a lot of tension at the firm, but once it blew over, AHA was able to get back to its old self. The past 8 months we have hired some fantastic people and the atmosphere has really improved. It is true that we used to be practice based and expectations were not consistent across the firm, depending on who was your practice lead. However, in the last year we have moved away from this and expectations are becoming more formalized and consistent.

One downside of AHA is the catch 22 of being a start-up management consulting firm. You need to be billable in order to make money to keep the lights on. Management has good intentions of improving internal operations and developing strategy, but client work is always the first priority so business development initiatives are sometimes slow.

Another facet of needing to keep the lights on is sometimes we take on work where either the objective of the work is not clear, or we don’t necessarily have the right skills, or we don’t have enough resources to fully staff the project. Because we are trying to build a name as a new company, we have to take the work we can get, at the rate we can get and this often results in a lot of heroics and long hours by very dedicated teams, which can burn people out.

AHA has very talented junior resources and very capable senior resources, but is thin on the middle management layer, which results in the principals being stretched quite thin. We have made some fantastic management hires recently and leadership is aware of this gap. The challenge is hiring managers with management consulting experience. I have seen talented and capable senior people come to AHA from related, but different industries, and quickly realise they aren’t interested in learning sales, and writing proposals etc. which is a big part of management consulting.

In summary – if you are a senior resource with career management consulting experience and are looking for somewhere you can influence and grow a business, or are interested in learning how to be a career consultant, give AHA a try. If you are a young resource and doesn’t necessarily want to be a career consultant, AHA might still be a great place for you to spend a couple years getting a stacked resume and learning a ton!

Advice to Management

Consider spending more upfront time on statement of works (SOWs) so they are not vague and the amount of resources needed to staff the project is better understood upfront. This will help prevent burnout and frustration of staff. I understand this is one of the challenges of the consulting industry, and is not specific to this firm.

Considering offering a pension contribution plan and maternity/paternity top up. This will help retain the talented young resources at the firm who love their job, but are looking for this kind of stability as their young families grow.

"Employees are the Differerence"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at A Hundred Answers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible teamwork - like nothing I've ever experienced in my previous careers. There is a commitment to always find the best outcome vs. territorial or siloed thinking. I am grateful for the ability to plan and manage my work in a way that allows me to give the best to the company, while also respecting personal commitments. The atmosphere and culture here is both collaborative and creative. There is plenty of room for growth within the company and they encourage participation in a variety of ways to ensure better understanding of how the company works as a whole. Believe me when I tell you they know how to make you feel valued.

Cons

Busy season is a challenge to get through, but is a regular yearly occurrence in this industry.

Advice to Management

Our leaders are busy making good things happen. You can never get enough face time with leaders, so please just keep making the time.

18 Dec, 2015

At AHA we pride ourselves on bringing together talented Professionals to serve our clients and do our best to provide premium service. Over the last six years AHA has had the opportunity to shape a... More

"Yes, still a great place to learn and grow."

Pros

Culture, compensation and benefits, lots opportunities for growth (you choose to accept the challenge or just be and still be respected), true empowerment and support from management, open door policy to executive management team (employees can literally knock on their door and chat with an executive who will listen, no appointments necessary), environment of open and honest communications, people just know how to work together or goof off and laugh together.

Cons

True empowerment and support from management, environment of open and honest communications.

Executive management support employee ideas, allow teams much leeway to make decisions, work and grow ideas together. They will openly provide feedback, remain supportive and encouraging whether ideas succeed or not. In this environment of openness and support, people have to realize that the executive management team still has a responsibility to reject any vision that is not in line with the company’s strategy and culture. It takes people with true courage, real smarts, and strong ethics to realize this and not just to walk away with a wink, a smile and company intellectual property.

Advice to Management

We do have our ups and downs like any organization out there (Fortune 500 companies included). But that's all part of life. Keep up the good work

"A great company to work for"

I have been working at A Hundred Answers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AHA is a great place to help you build your career, if you are willing to work hard. We function as a team, and we always have each other's backs. There is never a time I feel unsupported or lost. Guidance is always available, and peers are always willing to jump in when needed. Senior managers are very involved in our projects, and they teach you how to grow professionally to get to their level. You have the opportunity to learn about different industries and master new skills, which is transferrable to any job.

There are volunteer opportunities for you to give back to the community, including blood donations and the big bike.

On top of all this, there are snacks in the office, pop in the fridge, and monthly socials that each team hosts.

Cons

- Some peak times where work/life balance is compromised
    - Company is small, and if you have never worked in this job function before, there is a steep learning curve
    - The culture is unstructured compared to large organizations. If you need structure in your job, this company is not for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your employees well and you will reap the benefits of the dedicated people who work here that will grow the company.

7. "Working ast AHA and loving it."

Pros

I love to work at AHA. The company offers the challenges that I was looking for. No time to get bored!

Cons

I really don't see anything that's negative.

Advice to Management

Excellent Growth! you must be doing something right! Continue the excellent work!

"A Fun Place to Work"

I have been working at A Hundred Answers full-time

Pros

If you are looking to start off your career, AHA is the place for you. You will get exposed to many different industries, and will be able to work on many different types of projects. Given their busy schedules, the partners are available to meet and discuss project issues and concerns, and provide clear direction.

The corporate culture is one of the best I have experienced. There is a "work hard play hard" mentality. While you may have to work longer hours, the firm does appreciate it. The firm has many fun social events. It's a very fun atmosphere to work in. There is not a "standard background" for consultant, which allows for new perspectives being brought forward.

Cons

AHA is a small firm, and they do not have some of the tools and internal processes that a larger organization would have access too.

When compared to a larger organization, the environment is quite unstructured. If you come from an very structured organization or a field that is very structured, this can be quite challenging.

Advice to Management

As much as possible, keep the corporate culture as is. This is one of the firm's key strengths. The cons listed will be addressed over time when the firm's strategy is clarified.

"Do your homework"

I have been working at A Hundred Answers full-time

Pros

Competitive benefits and salary. Fine place to work if you live in the area, but not worth it otherwise. Organization tries but falls flat.

Cons

People are constantly leaving and really happy when they do so, like an escape from jail it seems. Lack of empowerment and learning. Large executive egos.

8 Dec, 2015

A negative posting - a few hours after we provide responses to previous “reviews”? Really? Lol :).

Unfortunately, there are some “trolls" on this website. It is a weakness of GlassDoor... More

"Good place to develop and grow"

I worked at A Hundred Answers full-time

Pros

-Very talented employees who are always willing to help each other
    -Nice office
    -Consulting regularly brings new project work, and with that, opportunities for fresh/out-of-the-box thinking from cross-functional teams

Cons

-Communication from Executive team is not strong
    -Limited career advancement opportunities, unless you are Junior and just starting your career
    -Lack of a clear market strategy

Advice to Management

-Focus on one or two specific product/service strategies, and make them the core focus of the entire organization (across, top/down, bottom/up)

11 Dec, 2015

At A Hundred Answers we recognize that building a sustainable and profitable business is essential and the only way to do this is to ensure that our employees are able to prosper with us. This... More