9 Story Media Group Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2022

Found 31 of over 45 reviews

3.7
9 Story Media Group President and CEO Vince Commisso (no image)
Vince Commisso
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee
    Featured Review

Great company to be part of

Nov 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great studio and great environment, everyone is so nice and helpful. There are lots to learn and there's plenty of room to grow and development.

Cons

benefit package could be better

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Nice company to work

Jun 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexible hours - Friendly and chill environment - Manageable workload - Health benefits

Cons

Need to push hard for a salary increase

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

No room for professional growth

May 29, 2022 - Colleauge
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co workers are generally passionate about animation and friendly

Cons

- unabashedly below average compensation - prefer to hire outside than to develop in-house - not many opportunities for career advancement - many long term employees are leaving because they aren’t valued

4 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a place for creatives

Jun 3, 2022 - Senior 2D Animator in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent salary and benefits, good coworkers, good location in the downtown area near most TTC connections.

Cons

Burnout is a big problem here, artists are micro-managed and creativity is stifled. There is no room for growth. Poor communication between departments, little to no transparency. Pay gaps, and racist people at the top. Harassment swept under rug. No Overtime, instead we get pizza or sheet cake. They ask more of people that's not detailed in their contract. Inconsistent HR people who stick to the status quo.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Sexual harassment, racism, systemic abuse. Pick your poison

Jun 27, 2021 - Animator in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most of my artist colleagues were great.

Cons

Complained about sexual harassment from another employee. HR protected the harasser. Worst of all, he wasn't the only one who exhibited this behaviour throughout the many years I worked at the company. Handsy men only get a slap on the wrist. The racism is a whole other story. Let's just say that employees of color don't tend to last very long in this company. I saw first hand how many of my colleagues were treated, especially by the New York management team. Disgusting and abhorrent behaviour.

6 people found this review helpful

HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this review. We appreciate you sharing your experiences at 9 Story with us and take your concerns very seriously. We have also shared your feedback with our HR and Senior Management Teams. 9 Story is committed to maintaining a safe work environment free of harassment, violence and discrimination and to providing a work environment where all employees are treated with respect and dignity. We would like the opportunity to better understand your feedback in regards to harassment and discrimination in the workplace, so we can investigate these issues and make impactful change. If you are open to having a conversation, please email us at HRToronto@9story.com.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

corporate area is really bad for employees of color

May 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

people on the production floor (animators, directors) are great, creative people. salary is okay. some good perks, including benefits and staff parties.

Cons

the corporate area where i worked was insufferable. if you are a person of color you are subjected to mistreatment til you crack. it`s no secret in the industry that every black and latinx employee that works corporate here is eventually pushed out.

8 people found this review helpful

HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at 9 Story. We were surprised and disappointed to hear this feedback. We take your concerns very seriously and have shared your comments with our HR and senior management teams. If you are open to having a conversation, we would really like to better understand the challenges you faced working in our corporate division. At 9 Story, we are fully committed to addressing systemic racism in our industry and aligning our personal and intuitional behaviors with our values of equity. Over the past year, we have been auditing our internal culture and have been working with CCDI (The Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion) to help us with our approach on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). To include and amplify the voices of staff in our action plans, we’ve also established a global council and regional committees with strong employee participation from underrepresented groups, who are helping to advance DEI initiatives throughout the organization. And we are now actively working to address identified areas of concern using insights gathered from our staff through multiple channels of communication, e.g. pulse surveys, focus groups, and committee feedback. Finally, we are in the process of hiring a Chief Inclusion Officer, who will be responsible for providing a DEI lens and advice to all aspects of the business. Again, if you are open to having a conversation, we would really like the opportunity to better understand your experiences at 9 Story. If yes, please reach out to HRToronto@9story.com.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Room for improvement

Feb 22, 2021 - Animator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Consistent work, great area, fun events.

Cons

Lack of growth, No ambitious projects, Compensation does not grow with you at the company.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work at

Jan 29, 2021 - Administration Work in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and willing to help. Very fun industry to be in. Great work/life balance

Cons

Nothing bad to say although it would be nice to be able to invite a plus one to the company events.

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Very racist place

Nov 24, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice location and premises. Some good people.

Cons

Very racist place. No people of color in leadership positions which trickles down to POC in the animation team being treated quite poorly.

6 people found this review helpful

HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We appreciate you sharing your experiences at 9 Story and take your concerns very seriously. As a company, we are deeply committed to addressing systemic racism and aligning our personal and institutional behaviors with our values of equity. We are in the process of examining our culture and have recently engaged CCDI (The Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion) to help us with our approach on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). We are currently gathering insights from our staff to understand any potential areas of concerns. We have also set up a global council and regional committees with strong employee participation from underrepresented groups to advance DEI initiatives throughout the organization. We would really like the opportunity to better understand your experiences. If you are open to having a conversation, please reach out to HRToronto@9story.com.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

May 12, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work environment, great people.

Cons

Lack of transparency, disorganized, lack of leadership in some departments.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews

9 Story Media Group Reviews FAQs

9 Story Media Group has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 45 reviews left anonymously by employees. 56% of employees would recommend working at 9 Story Media Group to a friend and 53% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, 9 Story Media Group employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at 9 Story Media Group. This rating has decreased by -11% over the last 12 months.

56% of 9 Story Media Group employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated 9 Story Media Group 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at 9 Story Media Group to be work life balance, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, management, diversity and inclusion.

Popular Careers with 9 Story Media Group Job Seekers