4Ocean Reviews

4Ocean CEO Alex Schulze
Alex Schulze
  1. 4.0
    Former Employee

Company lives by its values!

Jul 12, 2021 - Crew Member in Boca Raton, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great to work for a company that upholds its values and helps employees do the same. Given reusable utensils, lunch box, and water bottles for days on the boat to help encourage less use of single use plastics.

Cons

As a newer company it still was in the process of organizing and finding the best methods for its goals; sometimes disorganized.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incredibly Caring Leadership & Valuable Mission

Oct 14, 2020 - Director in Boca Raton, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership team genuinely cares about all of the crew members, their families and their work/life balance. The team is truly in it for the mission. Everyone here authentically cares about cleaner oceans and will do what it takes to support each other because it's a BIG job and we're still a small, growing company. There's a ton of freedom to do your job and speak up when you want to make an impact or have your voice be heard. They are super generous with giving us all time off. I've never known a company to offer so many paid holidays (12) + professional development days (4) + volunteer days (3) IN ADDITION TO PTO!! The transparency is second to none. You always know were you stand and where the business stands. Nice, new, spacious HQ with tons of room to grow - even after everyone goes back to working in the office post-Covid. Career development - there have been quite a few people who have held a variety of different jobs, been promoted, etc. You work hard and it pays off here!

Cons

Due to Covid-19 there had to be some obvious budget cuts some jobs are bigger yet we are still working with a very lean team. We are working hard to rebuild the business. As a small, growing start-up that invests a ton of money in cleaning the ocean, we have limited budgets so. have to be super scrappy, but that can be a fun challenge depending on how you look at it. The 401k match had to go away with the Covid cuts but we are hoping it comes back soon as we grow the business.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Work on the water

Jun 17, 2021 - Cleanup Crew in Boca Raton, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Clean up the ocean . Honorable work.

Cons

Weather can be difficult to deal with.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Wonderful purpose driven company with the culture to match

Apr 26, 2021 - Director in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gives back every day to provide a sustainable future

Cons

Young company with plenty of room to grow

Recruiting Director

Hi there. Thanks so much for sharing. We have a big mission so there is certainly lots of room to grow! Thank you for all you do to help us clean the ocean.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Best Workplace EVER

Mar 25, 2021 - Current Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Whats not to like here? The culture is amazing and everyone is so warm and friendly in the office. We have fun, get great benefits, 4 day work weeks every other week. All while making a difference cleaning up our oceans and waterways.

Cons

Honestly none I can think of

Recruiting Director

Thank you for the review. We're stoked to hear you are having fun while making a difference by cleaning the ocean. Enjoy those 3-day weekends because you've earned it. We're in this together and we appreciate all that you do!

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Caring Company - Positive Experience

Oct 23, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- This company cares about their employees: Each team feels like a family and seems to get along well. The leadership team does whatever they can to support the team including giving bonus paid days off this summer when everyone has been super stressed with work and covid. - Transparency: it's a faced paced company so you might not be in the loop on everything but they do a good job sharing the big picture and important details about the company - Flexibility: leadership goes above and beyond to make sure we're taken care of and that everyone can participate when we have company events. If you need time off for something they work with you to make it happen. - Opportunity: they do a great job promoting from within. They recognize potential and hard work.

Cons

It's a startup which provides a ton of opportunity to grow (positive!) but things change quickly so if you're looking for a job that is the same thing everyday and process/procedure are already cemented this will not be a good fit

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Is this really where I work??

Mar 8, 2021 - Director of Purchasing and Sourcing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, transparency, unbelievably fun, collaborative

Cons

I cannot think of one!

Recruiting Director

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's so cool to see someone with your tenure still having an unbelievable amount of fun in the job. We know how hard everyone is working to help us drive our clean ocean mission forward and we really appreciate your hard work and your loyalty. Thank you!

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Everyone is the same

Jul 20, 2020 - Customer Support in Boca Raton, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible mission with amazing founder(s) that are truly revolutionizing the planet. Unbelievable amount of accomplishments.

Cons

There is a noticeable lack of uniqueness among the HQ staff to the point where someone may not be so out of line to suggest that it is intentional. If it were to be described in dessert, there is a lot of vanilla cake and that cake is also mainly male. At the very top, it is even more this type of dessert. In 2019, there was some sprinkles and other various decorations. Then a wave of layoffs after a sales dip coincidentally left a group of people who when photographed would look like a family reunion more than a team of coworkers. The company has the ultimate answer for this because they have international crews that are filled with diversity. The female leadership currently in place was a direct response to workers saying it is weird how manly the office is. Additionally there is a long standing team member who does not look like everyone else and has gotten away with catastrophic mistakes both in terms of behavior and work ability. When people say is 4Ocean a scam? My answer is , I dont know but I couldn't rule it out because of the hiring/firing processes show a character flaw in leadership.

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Mismanaged Mess

Apr 9, 2020 - Anonymous in Boca Raton, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive office energy, relaxed/dog friendly office, decent room for growth and a hiring within policy, mostly everyone was in it for the mission and their passion was tangible and inspiring.

Cons

Unfortunately, this company sets a terrible example of how to use business as a force for good. While the leadership may have started off with good intentions, it's very clear they ended up only wanting to look cool in hard hats while talking about themselves and their expensive success. They're a lot of talk, not so much walk. Despite claiming transparency, there is a lot for them to hide and a lot going wrong behind the scenes, with blindly devoted employees working their butts off for the cause only to be kicked to the curb because of upper management's financial oversights. The faces of the company engaging with the following and fostering the voice of the brand aka the customer service/response teams, social team, events team, are all paid college intern wages while their directors make 5x their salaries to sit in meetings. If you're not a "revenue generating" team, expect to be overworked and under appreciated. Overall, lack of transparency, lack of communication, lack of appropriate pay structures, and lack of focus have led 4ocean into the train wreck it's currently in.

11 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

High turn overs with Low pay, no promotion, and no bonus

May 30, 2020 - Anonymous in Boca Raton, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the low level folks are nice to work with. They are the real doers of the company. Upper management not so much, just inflated with egos and always seem to be talking down to subordinates, unless you're one of their groupies of favoritism.

Cons

Everything about this company are smoke and mirrors. They constantly have high turn over from the c-level execs to lower level folks, including the HR department that got turned over at least 2 times. The pay here is horrible, unless you are management. HR even bragged how generous the Christmas bonus was the previous year in order to get you to accept the horrendous pay. Fast forward to the end of the year, turns out we didn't get any kind of the Christmas bonus, just cheap trinkets like drinking cups and shirts. Quarterly meetings, we won't get recognize for any of the hard work we did unless we are favored by management. They also claimed that we were suppose to start getting stock option plans for employees at the Christmas party, but we never heard anything about it since. Guess it was just a "feel good" story for them to tell. The only positive thing are the real doers in the company. At least with them, we had a sense of purpose and accomplishment. We put in a lot of hours for the company and we worked with loyalty for 4ocean's mission. We were the ones that believe in the "4ocean core values" that they painted on the walls. Kicking all of us to the curb like trash is insulting and degrading especially when it was management that led us into financial problems, not COVID19.

9 people found this review helpful