1-800-GOT-JUNK? Employee Reviews about "franchise"

Updated Oct 19, 2021

Found 21 of over 588 reviews

3.3
1-800-GOT-JUNK? CEO Brian Scudamore (no image)
Brian Scudamore
Pros
  • "Profit share and gifts from customers(in 26 reviews)

• "Good pay hard work good exercise(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "long hours, tough physical labor at times(in 44 reviews)

• "Lots of moving pieces working in a franchise system(in 21 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of 1-800-GOT-JUNK? and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "franchise"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing energy and culture!

Apr 1, 2021 - Sales in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, slow to hire, quick to fire. Good modo.

Cons

Lots of moving pieces working in a franchise system.

2. 4.0

Inside Sales Representative

Apr 26, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Uncapped Commission. Somewhat flexible hours and day to day tasks. Great sales culture with fun incentives and team building activities.

Cons

Low Base salary. Commission and earning potential somewhat limited depending on the territory or franchise that you are assigned to. CRM has many duplicate records and is not utilized very efficiently. Desk space is small and in close proximity to other sales reps.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Toronto Franchise Review

Feb 22, 2019 - Office Staff in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Toronto Franchise has a very family feel to it. Everyone here is very friendly, outgoing and super happy. Internal growth is huge here. Everyone person in management started off in the trucks. Everyone is invested in the business Casual, easy going feel in the office

Cons

If you're looking for a big corporate environment with lots of procedures in place this isn't the place for you. The Toronto franchise has more of a start up feel. Ideal for those who are excited to contribute ideas to a growing business.

4. 1.0

Don't bother. trust me

Dec 17, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

- None that I can think of

Cons

I worked for 1800gotjunk under that part of their corporate umbrella. They manage a few brands under the O2E banner. Like You move me and some other over priced crap I cant remember all of it . I worked as an inbound sales agent which is a fancy moniker for call centre representative. I worked there full time for two years. In that team I saw rampant sexual misconduct. Between employees, managers and other assorted staff members. I saw rampant drug use and promotion of drug use within the office. I saw insanely high turnover rates. High pressure sales tactics. And bait and switch sales tactics. - Marijuana, cocaine and ecstasy were present and often used within the office. - Fear and intimidation were used as motivators - The employees banded together to form their own anxiety support group because the job put tremendous pressure on them to perform. With little or no education many of the staff needed these jobs to pay bills and support their families - when a sales agent became too senior. They often found some random excuse to terminate them. This way they could bring in younger staff that collected a lower wage. They did this often. Very often. Sales people who had been there for years were terminated without cause. - Many people were often terminated without cause - The office itself failed basic safety inspections mandated by WSIB. When the staff reported it. It created a culture of fear even further than was already present - This office had more sexual harassment than Harvey Weinstein's office. This isn't a joke. It was absolutely horrendous. - The sales tactics consisted purely of bait and switch. Low ball them on the phone. And up-sell them when the trucks arrive. Oft en setting up truck team members with very little chance for success and left the call centre agent feeling like a crook. - Low wages. Food stamp low. Even senior management couldn't be clearing more than 70k. Not enough to own a home or even rent in the downtown core. With limited career progression passed that point there really wasn't anywhere left to go so you're just stuck. - There is a cool aid culture and a lot of back patting. Be wary. Good company culture simply is. Or is not. Its not forced. Toxic work environments shine through that whole veneer of fake kindness and forced camaraderie and you're left with an incredibly toxic workplace. - As a female. Unwanted male attention was constant. And there was no HR to report anything to. You simply had to suck it up. - They claim to recycle but after having spent time with truck team members and speaking with franchise partners over the phone you found that truck team members either dumped it. Or kept it. Nothing was recycle or donated. Not at the level they claim it is anyways.

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Great Adventure

Oct 26, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Opportunity to contribute and be heard from all levels of org - Fun culture with lots of events - Lots of winning as goals are set realistically

Cons

- Limited resources due to being a Franchise company (only a fraction of topline revenue comes to main company) - Majority of franchise partners are great, some though do not look at the Junktion in a partnership way and make things harder for themselves and everyone they interact with

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Learnings and Upwards Mobility

Feb 15, 2018 - General Manager in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working in-field at the franchisee level in Toronto is a fantastic learning experience for people looking to start a career in sales. A love of hard labour and long hours is required. Through its direct sales model, reps close between 4-10 jobs per day with different clients, and are compensated based on how successfully they sell. Mentorship programs encourage skill growth amongst the team, and company events regularly celebrate team successes, which are frequent due to the business's ongoing growth and success. I was personally developed enough in my first three years at the company to receive an opportunity to manage another province owned by the same owner. Other ambitious colleagues of mine have leveraged their time in the trucks to pursue management of territories and in one case an opportunity to make films for the corporate entity. I ultimately leveraged my learnings at Got Junk to pursue a sales career in the tech industry, and have a great deal of positive reflection on the learnings and relationships I developed while I was at Got Junk. Management in my experience was always very flexible regarding scheduling shifts. For the right type of person, 1-800-GOT-JUNK? Toronto is an environment where honest hard work and initiative will be rewarded with skill growth, career opportunities, and meaningful celebrations of team and personal accomplishments. (This review is specifically a review of the ownership of the Toronto franchise, which also owns other franchises in North America. I have not been an employee of the corporate entity, who hires call centre reps, and couldn't comment on that work environment, save for the positive feedback I have heard from former colleagues of mine)

Cons

Joining the Toronto franchise team requires the strength to lift heavy things, a reputable driving record, the communication skills required to make good sales, the modesty to accountability to admit fault when required, and the willingness to do all of these things for up to 13 hours per shift. If you're lacking even one of the above traits, that will limit your ability to be successful at the company.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Stay away as an employee (Niagara Franchise)

Oct 30, 2017 - Truck Team Member in Hamilton, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tips from customers. Get to do some interesting jobs.

Cons

Having to do unsafe jobs because of lack of proper tools, ppe, etc. Only a matter of time before an employee gets killed on the job. (Niagara Franchise at least) Management plays favourites with employees. Poor culture/ Too many miserable co-workers.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee

Decent part-time work

Aug 10, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible with scheduling. Can make decent money during busy season.

Cons

Company is franchised out, so its only run as well as the franchise owner wants to.

9. 2.0

Worked at head office.

May 2, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some great people to work with. Company widely recognized as top employer, so it's a good organization to advance your career, but not necessarily by staying.

Cons

Highly competitive atmosphere breeds questionable politics and poor cooperation at times. Rules of respect apply only to workers/staff, not upper management or franchise owners. Limited opportunities for advancement and very high staff turnover at head office.

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Very questionable business practices!

Aug 11, 2014 - Truck Team Member in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

It is fun meeting the wide range of customers you'll encounter from all walks of life.

Cons

Sometimes employees will be exposed to the most unsanitary working conditions (animal feces/urine, hoarders, chemicals, etc). Depending on franchise owner, the business ethics may vary, I have seen some price gouging, flat out "fluffing" of the amount items have filled the truck, and other practices in order to allow truck team members to acquire their "profit sharing" target for the day. Some owners dispose of hazardous material in an improper manner and do not follow proper guidelines. For the outrageous prices being charged, there should be a proper disposal. Many franchises could be fined $$$ with how they dispose of certain items. Do not believe their false advertising and misleading ways, if it is illegal or unethical, it shouldn't be done (especially by a business).

4 people found this review helpful

1-800-GOT-JUNK? Response

People Coordinator

Junk Removal isn't a tidy business, but we certainly won't take, or handle, anything that is toxic or hazardous. We can only take things that we're able to dispose of properly and we have to keep in mind the safety of our awesome teams. Thanks for your feedback!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 Reviews