I have been working at PA Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)
Exciting projects shaping future technologies, products and business models. Entrepreneurial and network based organisation. Brilliant people, often world class. The global technology centre is truly unique - we really create unique inventions shaping entire industries, develop and build world first devices and machines.
Innovation culture concentrated in one area of the business, suboptimal travel policy for international flights, relatively low salaries, relatively unknown brand. Uncertainty for future developments and strategy.
Advice to Management
Truly integrate technology and innovation cross all services and sectors. This is a key differentiator which could be developed and used more across the company. Reduce the amount and increase the quality of the internal change initiatives. Clarify future strategy and direction.
(A) Telephone Int:
- do you know what we do
- are you happy with the salary
- are you happy to travel
- what does the job actually entail
- Face to face with senior person
- Tell me about a time you explained a difficult concept to someone
- Teamwork Qs
- Tell me about a time you disagreed with your supervisor and you knew you were right
- Tell me about a time you failed
- What do you know about what we do
(2) Role play
In 45 minutes, you get...
- Given pack of info about client e.g. background, customer demographics, profit and loss accounts, email correspondence, customer survey satisfaction ratings, performance for offices around world
- Need to read it
- Summarise problems in prose (not bullet points) on PowerPoint slide
- Do PowerPoint (3-4 slides) to present to client later on about how to turn around/improve performance, covering long and short term objectives, plan, costs, complications etc.
Then for 15 mins..
- for 5 mins you present slides to client
- client asks questions about it for 10 mins
- justify your points, stand firm
- if they evade questions where you need more info, get them back on track
N.B: my slides were way too messy and complicated, keep it simple
(3) Group exercise
For 15/20 minutes...
- each person given a company that their supervisor wants to win investment
-read info about your company
- understand what makes it a good investment e.g. long and short term profitability
- there are lots of numbers to work with
For 30 mins...
- discuss in group which company you should pitch to investors (i.e. judging panel),bearing in mind you should promote your own company where possible
- justify your points
- don't get put off by loud/aggressive people, I got nervous and shut up, which was a big mistake
- make sure you contribute
- look at everyone when speaking (I freaked out and only looked at the aggressive person, I should have looked at the other person too)
- investors listen to team pitch
- investors ask Qs
- they will ask about ROI (to check you really picked the best investment), so calculate this quickly so you say the answer first
- react fast to investor questions
- be confident